An Experience I Had Today

AustinFromUNT

I was at Wells Fargo today and this dude was with his wife. He was wearing a UNT hat & a UNT shirt. I was like oh hey nice hat (I was wearing a UNT shirt) he was like oh thanks haha. I said so are you planning on going to the game September 1st? He paused for a second and said, nah, I prefer watching the games on TV.

My question to everyone is, how do we fix this problem?

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

Cram as many things as possible into making the game day experience at Apogee the very best for fans.  Offer things that only those who attend the game get...create an inner circle designed for fans who come to the game.  This is not very specific, but I think you know what I mean.  Meet and greet with the band post game, meet and greet with the cheerleaders after the game, autograph session with the the team after the game, etc.  Coupons only available at Apogee, etc., etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

32 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Force the Networks to Black out televised games to the area

No.  It's good to have the option for people who CAN'T attend to be able to attend to be able to watch on TV or be able to record.  The problem is those who CAN attend, but don't.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I imagine most college football teams are facing this today.

They are. And it’s getting worse. Saw an article about UF selling 9,000 less season tickets this year than last and that’s with a new HC that they’re fairly excited about. 

Their student tickets haven’t sold out either. 

One issue cited in the article: lack of good WiFi at the stadium. Students and young people want to be plugged in everywhere they go. That includes football games.  

The other issue is the product on TV is so good and in HD and available everywhere. Meanwhile ticket prices, concessions, parking, etc are getting more expensive. 

As for this particular instance, with where our program is....those that are at least interested enough to watch on TV should really come to Apogee. It’s a fantastic atmosphere when it’s loud. And it’s a lot of fun. If we come out hot against SMU it’s going to be LOUD in there. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

One issue cited in the article: lack of good WiFi at the stadium. Students and young people want to be plugged in everywhere they go. That includes football games.  

Amen! Do a search on here and you will see I have been preaching this gospel for years!  It’s a huge issue @Apogee COO

4 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I was at Wells Fargo today and this dude was with his wife. He was wearing a UNT hat & a UNT shirt. I was like oh hey nice hat (I was wearing a UNT shirt) he was like oh thanks haha. I said so are you planning on going to the game September 1st? He paused for a second and said, nah, I prefer watching the games on TV.

Tell him it isn't on television.

5 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

The answer is easy. Home games at Apogee need to become the must attend events in Denton, regardless of what time our kickoff is at. How do we do that? Be creative. Play to our strengths. Wren is trying to do that. We have a wrasstling match after the SMU game.

If I were in charge of this wrestling event, I would be holding a weigh in press conference today with the local 5pm news covering it. Then have arranged Stone Cold to show up and announce he will be the guest ref. I'd tweet it out and make sure ESPN got the news too. I'd have Stone Cold and Kevin Von Erich lead the team onto the field carrying battle flags. I'd cut the band's halftime show in half (They won't be decked out in band uniforms anyway), and have Stone Cold and Kevin lead the fans in the North Texas chant.

In short, we need to create something that can't be experienced while watching on your couch, and we have to promote it.

• Upvote 4

Plan better.

The temperature will always be around 100` on September 1. The sun doesn't set until 7:54 on September 1.

The game would be significantly more fun if fans were able to tailgate until 7:30 and enter the stadium as the sun is beginning to set. 

True, there are some Power 5 football factories that can fill any stadium with fans at any time and date. North Texas doesn't have that luxury and should plan better by moving the game time to accommodate our customers. Either that, or continue to complain about people watching the games on TV and the students partying outside the stadium until the sun sets.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Plan better.

The temperature will always be around 100` on September 1. The sun doesn't set until 7:54 on September 1.

The game would be significantly more fun if fans were able to tailgate until 7:30 and enter the stadium as the sun is beginning to set. 

True, there are some Power 5 football factories that can fill any stadium with fans at any time and date. North Texas doesn't have that luxury and should plan better by moving the game time to accommodate our customers. Either that, or continue to complain about people watching the games on TV and the students partying outside the stadium until the sun sets.

Exactly.  If you have never sat on the student side at Apogee during September games, then you may have no idea just how miserable the first half is until the sun goes down.  New (as in not yet diehard) fans and their significant others just simply won't put up with that.  

51 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

The answer is easy. Home games at Apogee need to become the must attend events in Denton, regardless of what time our kickoff is at. How do we do that? Be creative. Play to our strengths. Wren is trying to do that. We have a wrasstling match after the SMU game.

If I were in charge of this wrestling event, I would be holding a weigh in press conference today with the local 5pm news covering it. Then have arranged Stone Cold to show up and announce he will be the guest ref. I'd tweet it out and make sure ESPN got the news too. I'd have Stone Cold and Kevin Von Erich lead the team onto the field carrying battle flags. I'd cut the band's halftime show in half (They won't be decked out in band uniforms anyway), and have Stone Cold and Kevin lead the fans in the North Texas chant.

In short, we need to create something that can't be experienced while watching on your couch, and we have to promote it.

The game needs to be a part of the total experience. Wrestling, concerts, after game entertainment! Jerry’s world offers a lot more than just a game!

5 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Force the Networks to Black out televised games to the area

Man that would kill me. I've got a daughter in select soccer and a daughter in volleyball. Sometimes I don't have an option. I can't tell my girls I'm gonna blow off their games for football. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Lovely Take 1