Name one regular season game more meaningful than this one

Harry

2002 NMSU at Fouts.  Conference championship (and only bowl slot) would be clinched by winner.  NSMU bought the most visiting fans I ever saw at Fouts, be we won 38-27.  

NMSU ended up 7-5, with no bowl game. 

Yessir.
2013 Rice game as well.  NT handed Rice their only conference Loss before the Championship game.
Also, 2001 MTSU.  The improbable win that started the streak.
Also, what @UNT Five&Dime said.  If we win tomorrow, I expect the buildup for the LATech game to be insane.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 4

Beating Tulsa for the Missouri Valley Championship in 1968 in front of a sold out Fouts Field (even though they officially did not call it  a sellout).  I was there and I have no idea where they would have put any more people.  I cannot understand why they did declare it a sell out.  We beat the hell out of Tulsa...54-7 or something like that.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, drex said:

Beating Tulsa for the Missouri Valley Championship in 1968 in front of a sold out Fouts Field (even though they officially did not call it  a sellout).  I was there and I have no idea where they would have put any more people.  I cannot understand why they did declare it a sell out.  We beat the hell out of Tulsa...54-7 or something like that.

Of course, since you are so much older than me (LOL):shhhh:

but............ I've not seen too many Mean Green wins over the TU Golden Hurricane, drex.  

I don't think any of Fry's teams ever beat them, did they?  Many of us have called his teams 1975 win over a 6 & 5 SEC Tennessee Vols team as his biggest win, but our beating a NCAA Division 1 and 19'th ranked San Diego State Atzecs at Fouts Field in 1974 should not be forgotten.   We've not beaten a Top 25 team since best I recall. 

Other day I posted 4 of 6 Fry teams would have been bowl elgible if as many bowls were available back then, but another alum called me to correct that saying 5 of this 6 teams would have been because even in his 1'st season as HFC at UNT when we tied for the Mo' Valley Conference football championship. 

Others may not be aware, but drex was the UNT sports promotions man when we had our first "official" sellout at Fouts Field.

GMG!  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The 2003 Baylor game.  Didn't count towards conference, but that total beatdown helped lend credibility to the program.

2007 Navy had a ton of hype and was probably the most talked about game UNT played in for several years after.

Virtually every game in 2013 once we started on that run, but none was bigger than that Halloween game against Rice.  That's the thing, once you start winning and competing for division and conference crowns EVERY game becomes a big game because you can't afford to lose any of them.  THIS game is big because we need to win it to stay on top of the division.  Not for any other reason.  Period.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

The 2003 Baylor game.  Didn't count towards conference, but that total beatdown helped lend credibility to the program.

2007 Navy had a ton of hype and was probably the most talked about game UNT played in for several years after.

Virtually every game in 2013 once we started on that run, but none was bigger than that Halloween game against Rice.  That's the thing, once you start winning and competing for division and conference crowns EVERY game becomes a big game because you can't afford to lose any of them.  THIS game is big because we need to win it to stay on top of the division.  Not for any other reason.  Period.

I'll give you another reason. We haven't started a season 4-2 since 1978 when we went 4-1.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Rice  in 2013. It was on TV, right? It was to clinch bowl eligibility and we beat the Conference champ at home. WE didn't know they would be champs, but we knew they were good. 

I think it is important to separate hyped games vs meaningful. If you do it right, each game of the season should get more meaningful leading up to a championship game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

?  I can’t think of one.

edit:  in the modern era.

For the history of our football program as far as where it's been and now going forward, Harry, this game is very strategic and important.  

A win could be a huge block addition for the foundation that Wren Baker & Seth Littrell truly seem to be building up at our beloved Mean Green Country. 

GMG!

LEAVE EARLY FOR THIS GAME AND BE INSIDE APOGEE FOR THE KICK-OFF!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

2002 NMSU at Fouts.  Conference championship (and only bowl slot) would be clinched by winner.  NSMU bought the most visiting fans I ever saw at Fouts, be we won 38-27.  

Agree completely. Not even all that arguable really. Winner of the game wins the conference and gets the bowl game slot. For all the marbles.

The scene on the field afterwards was amazing. Great day.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

That win lead to this gem that will live in infamy.

• Haha 6
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Harry said:

?  I can’t think of one.

edit:  in the modern era.

Not sure how you define the modern era.   If it is defined as NT re entry to FB football, than there is a limited numbers.  However there were several games that were for Belt championships.   All were more important as was the first game against MTSU which started that Belt run.   The often mentioned 2013 games against UTSA was obviously bigger.  The first game at Apogee was a much bigger game.  

This is undoubtedly a big game, but it significance can only be determined much later in the season.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, aztecskin said:

Rice  in 2013. It was on TV, right? It was to clinch bowl eligibility and we beat the Conference champ at home. WE didn't know they would be champs, but we knew they were good. 

I think it is important to separate hyped games vs meaningful. If you do it right, each game of the season should get more meaningful leading up to a championship game. 

Winning this game would bury UTSA and give us a stranglehold on the west division. It's pretty efffing meaningful. 

• Upvote 2

Just about every game we play is as important or more!  This game is just a sorry Sun Belt 2.0 conference mate no more and probably less  nobody would miss them if they dropped football next year. 

SMU this year would have been great, but knocking off Iowa would have been freaking awesome. 

There is nothing in San Antonio that is important other than the Alamo