The American declares itself a "Power 6"

Quick question... Now that I have declared myself a multi millionaire, how long will it take for my bank to reflect this on my account? Can I expect 7 figures on my account by tomorrow or do I have to wait until the end of the week? And will it come in proper form, or might it come in wrinkled bills?

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

In fairness, what I've read is the AAC saying they are a Power Conference in BASKETBALL because of the addition of Wichita State. And, yes, they probably are in the top six conferences in BASKETBALL strength. 

And not all the folks at SMU are completely delusional. While trying to find out what the AAC meant by "P6" I was looking on PonyFans and noticed at least one poster pointing out that for "98% of Texans" there is no difference between SMU playing football in the AAC and NT playing football in CUSA. He didn't mean that in a positive way, but does recognize most folks are putting us on roughly the same level as SMU. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

In fairness, what I've read is the AAC saying they are a Power Conference in BASKETBALL because of the addition of Wichita State. And, yes, they probably are in the top six conferences in BASKETBALL strength. 

No, no!  Check the AAC board and this "self anointing" of P6 status started before Wichita State was even mentioned as an addition to the AAC as a member.

To me, there was little arrogance in the AAC taking the Power 6 approach.  They primarily set goals of 90% graduation rates, attendance improvement and other criteria that would make them worthy of a power conference.  

Yes, some of their promotion is self-aggrandizing but necessary if you are to advance your cause.  

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

And not all the folks at SMU are completely delusional. While trying to find out what the AAC meant by "P6" I was looking on PonyFans and noticed at least one poster pointing out that for "98% of Texans" there is no difference between SMU playing football in the AAC and NT playing football in CUSA. He didn't mean that in a positive way, but does recognize most folks are putting us on roughly the same level as SMU. 

The AAC is not better than the Big East in hoops...and their best basketball powerhouse, UCONN, is strongly rumored to be looking at joining the Big East soon, just to help their mens/womens programs play better teams in conference play.

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The AAC is not better than the Big East in hoops...and their best basketball powerhouse, UCONN, is strongly rumored to be looking at joining the Big East soon, just to help their mens/womens programs play better teams in conference play.

The AAC was ranked 7th before Wichita State joined. They were only .025 behind the Pac-12 in RPI. WSU is going to raise their RPI so they at least have an argument about being in the Top 6. UConn says it's very, very pleased with WSU joining so who knows if they still want to jump, especially since the Big East has made noises it's not as interested in reconnecting with UConn. 

The main point is the AAC worded their announcement so people would confuse Power 5 in football with the top six conferences in basketball. Those are two different lists - yes there is overlap, but still two different lists! 

Here are the end of season RPI rankings.