Turn down the invite

emmitt01

55 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

Man it's neat to be able to bitch about TURNING DOWN a Bowl Game in year one of the #newdenton

lets line up to tell the seniors that the work they did to get the grades they got that helped us be eligible right now that we don't want them to play one more game.  Who wants to be first in that line?

Who wants to be first in line to tell emotional 18-22 years olds who have a vested interest in hearing the version of the truth that suits them best that they don't get to go to  bowl?  Well I'm sure that is going to be a short line...but not because there isn't merit to the argument

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

28 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Who wants to be first in line to tell emotional 18-22 years olds who have a vested interest in hearing the version of the truth that suits them best that they don't get to go to  bowl?  Well I'm sure that is going to be a short line...but not because there isn't merit to the argument

#Hit5&A984

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 15

My initial gut reaction was, like Emmitt, to turn down a bid.  I'm coming around to the idea of going.  But, I do think this situation just adds to my feeling that there are too many Bowls.  I'd cut one bowl a year until there was a season where no teams with a losing record (unless it was a league champ like us in 2001) made a Bowl.  Personally I'd probably cut further, but at least that much would prevent a situation like ours - where even a long suffering fan base is bickering about whether we should go or not.  Just imagine how more traditional powers must feel in this situation. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

He did call you Coach, right? Your disagreement with Flanagans coaching is well known.

We were in fact Conference Co Champions with  an 8-3 Middle Tennessee team that beat an SEC team, destroyed Troy, lost to LSU and Mississippi, and did not go to a bowl. We went to the bowl on a head to head victory. We could in fact have declined and let them in. I saw several MTSU fans who had already booked New Orleans trip and they would chant "MTSU we got screwed we got screwed."

Why should any NT fan care what a MTSU fan wanted?  NT won the bowl bid and MTSU's protest just made it sweeter.  

People forget that NT barely lost the last regular season game to Troy after clinching the bowl bid.   Dickey didn't put a lot of emphasis on that game, and they lost. 

There is no comparing that team's achievement as conference co-champion and tie breaker winner at 5-6 after a relatively meaningless last regular season loss, and this year's team who has lost 4 of the last 5 and none of them close.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Why should any NT fan care what a MTSU fan wanted?  NT won the bowl bid and MTSU's protest just made it sweeter.  

People forget that NT barely lost the last regular season game to Troy after clinching the bowl bid.   Dickey didn't put a lot of emphasis on that game, and they lost. 

There is no comparing that team's achievement as conference co-champion and tie breaker winner at 5-6 after a relatively meaningless last regular season loss, and this year's team who has lost 4 of the last 5 and none of them close.   

1. I found the MTSU  chant entertaining. I could have cared less about their feelings.

2. "Dickey did not put a lot of emphasis on that game."  Really, he played an injured QB with a knee brace risking further injury for a meaningless game? 

3. We were a 5 win conference co-champion in a 7 team startup league with a few teams that had just moved up (didn't' the SBC, that created the Bowl, have to get some kind of exemption for that alone?). The difference is not that substantial. 

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

1. I found the MTSU  chant entertaining. I could have cared less about their feelings.

2. "Dickey did not put a lot of emphasis on that game."  Really, he played an injured QB with a knee brace risking further injury for a meaningless game? 

3. We were a 5 win conference co-champion in a 7 team startup league with a few teams that had just moved up (didn't' the SBC, that created the Bowl, have to get some kind of exemption for that alone?). The difference is not that substantial. 

I see this crap about Dickey's success in the Belt, all the time.   It was a start up league, therefore that complete domination of the Belt does not count.  I was never really a Dickey fan, but I wonder about that rationale.  I guess if NT had won CUSA this year, the same argument could be made, worst conference in the nation made up of a bunch of left-overs. 

Troy by the way won 18-16 and was 7-4 and undefeated at home that year, so I fail to see any comparison with that game and how this season ended.  Dickey did attempt to rest several players, although some were used as the game was not decided until the end.  You also won't find any defeats in 2001close to the UTEP debacle.  

NT's worse loss of the year was to ULM 19-17 before the amazing turnaround.   Other than Troy, oc loses were to TCU (6-6) 19-5, OU (11-2) 37-10, Texas Tech (7-5) 42-14, S. Fla.  and (8-4) 28-10.  Also the 2001 was a much younger team than the 2016 version.

There IMO is little comparison of that 2001 team and the current one.  However, I hope both years signal a return to winning football for NT.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I see this crap about Dickey's success in the Belt, all the time.   It was a start up league, therefore that complete domination of the Belt does not count.  I was never really a Dickey fan, but I wonder about that rationale.  I guess if NT had won CUSA this year, the same argument could be made, worst conference in the nation made up of a bunch of left-overs. 

Troy by the way won 18-16 and was 7-4 and undefeated at home that year, so I fail to see any comparison with that game and how this season ended.  Dickey did attempt to rest several players, although some were used as the game was not decided until the end.  You also won't find any defeats in 2001close to the UTEP debacle.  

NT's worse loss of the year was to ULM 19-17 before the amazing turnaround.   Other than Troy, oc loses were to TCU (6-6) 19-5, OU (11-2) 37-10, Texas Tech (7-5) 42-14, S. Fla.  and (8-4) 28-10.  Also the 2001 was a much younger team than the 2016 version.

There IMO is little comparison of that 2001 team and the current one.  However, I hope both years signal a return to winning football for NT.  

Exactly.

Also...Troy had just won the 1-AA national championship a year or two earlier.  Their winning field goal that day went off the fingertips of an NT defensive player and still made it thru.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

You will notice that we are an "asterisk" team.  Just what we don't want. The comment drips with derision...real good for recruiting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Conference champion is ALWAYS eligible unless on probation or second year reclassification. CUSA has about the same number of recent move ups as Sun Belt did that year. Seems to lead to interesting outcomes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

there is no logical argument against the team going bowling...extra practice, extra game, recruiting tool, national broadcast...there is nothing but benefit.

those anti-bowl trip are driven by little more than their own ego. 

Yup I have to figure our team needs all of these things. It is also time to get healthy.

21 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Too many read the part that we'd get a bowl with 5 wins I suppose.

THIS: Guys, you win today & we get a bowl invite, but if you don't (fill in the blank)______________________.?

Can they key on the RB & put a shadow on him for crissakes?!?!

(make us eat our words & disappointment, team).

THIS.

This is exactly what happened yesterday.   They already thought they had it and didn't come prepared to stop the run game... Or... Anything else for that matter.

42 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Yup I have to figure our team needs all of these things. It is also time to get healthy.

ALMOST everyone will be back for the bowl.   I see us in Tucsan or Dallas for the bowl.

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

there is no logical argument against the team going bowling...extra practice, extra game, recruiting tool, national broadcast...there is nothing but benefit.

Agreed.

It's pretty dumb to suggest otherwise.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

How do you think a coach would present this to a recruit?

Easy:

"We went to So & So Bowl in my 1st season as head coach and played in front of a national TV audience. We're doing special things in Denton." 

No need to mention that pesky record...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

39 minutes ago, SSP said:

THIS.

This is exactly what happened yesterday.   They already thought they had it and didn't come prepared to stop the run game... Or... Anything else for that matter.

ALMOST everyone will be back for the bowl.   I see us in Tucsan or Dallas for the bowl.

Agreed.

It's pretty dumb to suggest otherwise.  

The participation-trophy debate, which I believe is at play here, is not a logical argument...more in line with parental/moral.

There are way too many bowls.  Way too many bowls.  I think there was a day when you really had to get 7 wins to count on the post-season, and even then it was not a guarantee.  What is your metric for deserving a bowl? Is a 5 win exception so horrible when it is just that: an exception? This might be the last time it ever happens in our lifetime.

Are you (not you SSP/CBL) thinking we might be the worst bowl team in history, and we might get blasted by 30+ points? Well, guess what: that risk is there every week.  I want to watch my Mean Green play one more week.

The staff is trying to build a championship program.  Let them use this if it equates to 8+ win seasons sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The participation-trophy debate, which I believe is at play here, is not a logical argument...more in line with parental/moral.

There are way too many bowls.  Way too many bowls.  I think there was a day when you really had to get 7 wins to count on the post-season, and even then it was not a guarantee.  What is your metric for deserving a bowl? Is a 5 win exception so horrible when it is just that: an exception? This might be the last time it ever happens in our lifetime.

Are you (not you SSP/CBL) thinking we might be the worst bowl team in history, and we might get blasted by 30+ points? Well, guess what: that risk is there every week.  I want to watch my Mean Green play one more week.

The staff is trying to build a championship program.  Let them use this if it equates to 8+ win seasons sooner rather than later.

AAU?  You expecting?  ?  ??????

• Upvote 1