Turn down the invite

emmitt01

17 hours ago, Green P1 said:

Man it's neat to be able to bitch about TURNING DOWN a Bowl Game in year one of the #newdenton

lets line up to tell the seniors that the work they did to get the grades they got that helped us be eligible right now that we don't want them to play one more game.  Who wants to be first in that line?

?????????????

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

there is no logical argument against the team going bowling...extra practice, extra game, recruiting tool, national broadcast...there is nothing but benefit.

those anti-bowl trip are driven by little more than their own ego. 

Nope...most of us here in Texas who identitify every day as Mean Green Nation members among the countless Big12 & SEC alumni checked our ego's in long ago.

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

there is a big difference between "identifying as" and "wrapping your identity in".

also, some here seem to be delusional as to how that conversation would go:

bowl game sponsor: hey, UNT...do you guys want to come play in Tucson in December?

Coach Littrell: no...despite all of the benefits for the short and long term future of the program...we're making a principled stand against too many bowl games and the sense of participation awards they represent to a small segment of our fan base for which this decision actually has zero impact

bowl game sponsor: oh thank god we can invite Texas

The minimum standard has always been 6 wins, thus the #Hit6 campaign three years ago. So its not delusional for fans to call for standards immediately after getting routed by a 3-8 team.  Just fans being fans on a message board.

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 15

3 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Easy:

"We went to So & So Bowl in my 1st season as head coach and played in front of a national TV audience. We're doing special things in Denton." 

No need to mention that pesky record...

Right. We went to a bowl and SMU didn't! Couldn't be better!

• Upvote 4

Why are people acting like having high standards and accepting an invitation pursuant to the rules are mutually exclusive?

Are we satisfied with 5-wins? Absolutely not. Can these guys still take advantage of their good academics and go represent the school one more time this year? Heck yeah. And us as fans should support them and enjoy it.  

In the minds of the typical college football fan the New Orleans Bowl (for example) is just as irrelevant today as it was 15 years ago when 5-win teams (with rare exceptions) never made it to bowl games.  In fact, the multitude of bowl games now just extends the same sort of opportunity that P5 teams have had for years when they essentially had to just get to 6-wins and so long as they had a tie in above .500 G5 teams were left out. I like the current set up.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, CMJ said:

My initial gut reaction was, like Emmitt, to turn down a bid.  I'm coming around to the idea of going.  But, I do think this situation just adds to my feeling that there are too many Bowls.  I'd cut one bowl a year until there was a season where no teams with a losing record (unless it was a league champ like us in 2001) made a Bowl.  Personally I'd probably cut further, but at least that much would prevent a situation like ours - where even a long suffering fan base is bickering about whether we should go or not.  Just imagine how more traditional powers must feel in this situation. 

All that cutting bowls would do is hurt the G5 teams.  If TV wants to pay for more game, I don't see why you don't give them more games.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

All that cutting bowls would do is hurt the G5 teams.  If TV wants to pay for more game, I don't see why you don't give them more games.

No, it hurts teams with higher APR scores.  That isn't necessarily gonna be G5 schools every year.  It seems there could easily be cutting one or more Bowls and still have enough spots for schools that actually won six games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Teams getting in on APR will be the exception, or at least it is supposed to be the exception.  If you really think that most years there will be teams that don't reach 6 FBS wins then the easier way to get to bowl eligibility is to schedule 2 FCS teams.  Teams with 6 wins, counting 2 FCS wins, get in before 5 win teams with 1 or fewer FCS wins according to the current rules.

There are about 10 high profile games that mirror what we used to call Bowl games. Prime time, mostly P5's, impact rankings and shovel a lot of money to P5 conferences and teams. There are another 10 or so games that still pay pretty well, mostly feature P5 teams and still pay a lot of money to the P5 conferences and teams.

The rest of them give teams extra practice, some "extra game" swag and a good steak dinner. Whatever they are called, the 40 mid-to-low P5 and mid-to-upper level G5 teams that get an extra game have a legitimate, albeit small, advantage over the remaining 50 or so teams that don't get an extra game. Take it.

GMG

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Question...out of all you folks arguing the relative benefits of going or not going to a bowl with five wins...how many thought UNT would have five wins at the start of the season? Come on, be honest.  This season has exceeded just about everyone's expectations.  I call that a success.  If we get a bowl bid as icing on the cake, well, great!  

I predicted 6 wins, but since we lost yesterday I guess I failed. On the other hand a bowl win could be my redemption. 

12 minutes ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

Someone, without looking it up, list for me the 70 teams that played in a Bowl last year. Also, please include their record. Oh, and let me know who won each Bowl.

I can't do that, partly because there were 40 Bowl games (so eighty teams) last season.

I said I am happy to go to a Bowl this year, but this is really out of control now.  There's 128 schools that play major college football, right?  So 61.5% of the schools that play go to one.  Meanwhile 351 schools play D1 basketball.  Counting the NCAA (68), NIT (32), CBI (16), and CIT (32)...that's 148 schools.  So roughly 42% make the postseason...a much tougher percentile to make it into..  And almost no one considers the CBI or CIT legitimate (not to mention most sadly people crap all over the NIT too).

So yes, I do think there are too many Bowl games.  Even just cutting 3-4 would make a big difference.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

I can't do that, partly because there were 40 Bowl games (so eighty teams) last season.

I said I am happy to go to a Bowl this year, but this is really out of control now.  There's 128 schools that play major college football, right?  So 61.5% of the schools that play go to one.  Meanwhile 351 schools play D1 basketball.  Counting the NCAA (68), NIT (32), CBI (16), and CIT (32)...that's 148 schools.  So roughly 42% make the postseason...a much tougher percentile to make it into..  And almost no one considers the CBI or CIT legitimate (not to mention most sadly people crap all over the NIT too).

So yes, I do think there are too many Bowl games.  Even just cutting 3-4 would make a big difference.

it is all about the mighty $$$$  If TV, and or corporate sponsor were not making $$$, they would not have the Bowl.  So, as long as there is $$$ to be made, give the fringe teams an opportunity to play bonus football.  Get a cool swag bag, hopefully travel to some place nice...not all are in this category.  If you don't want that many Bowls, only watch the ones you feel are deserving of your time...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1