We're Going Bowling! But Where?

shaft

No one says a bowl game fixes everything, just ask Mac.  But can we all agree making it to a bowl is better than not making to a bowl game.

And why does everyone keep talking about the Big 12?  The B12 will only have 7 bowl eligible slots.  The Heart of Dallas Bowl has a Big Ten tie-in.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, shaft said:

No one says a bowl game fixes everything, just ask Mac.  But can we all agree making it to a bowl is better than not making to a bowl game.

And why does everyone keep talking about the Big 12?  The B12 will only have 7 bowl eligible slots.  The Heart of Dallas Bowl has a Big Ten tie-in.

Idk but people seem to think we can compete vs Big 12 schools like TCU and UT

21 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Beggars can't be choosers. Give me a Bowl anywhere (other than Hawaii or Bahamas) vs anybody in the nation. I could give 2 flying F's.

I would just like a bowl and a respectable game.. not backwoods beat down 

• Downvote 4

25 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Beggars can't be choosers. Give me a Bowl anywhere (other than Hawaii or Bahamas) vs anybody in the nation. I could give 2 flying F's.

I'd love for the boys to be rewarded with a trip to the bahamas or hawaii...could be a once in a lifetime trip for many of them

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

yea a 30 point beat down.. that would be something great to sale to recruit...

I guess you and I are different kinds of salesman. I think taking a 1-11 team to a bowl in my first year is a great pitch. Kids can see they might be a part of something special.

I'd much rather be competitive, don't get me wrong.  I just dont understand why you'd want this team, this 1-11 to 6-win team, stay home over a possible big bowl loss.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

Heart of Dallas Bowl representatives were at our game against Southern Miss last night.  Am sure they were impressed with the character of the team in that comeback win.  Not sure what they will think of the support from the fan base.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

19 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Heart of Dallas Bowl representatives were at our game against Southern Miss last night.  Am sure they were impressed with the character of the team in that comeback win.  Not sure what they will think of the support from the fan base.

Any semi-intelligent person says look how we showed up last HOD game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Out of curiosity, when was the last time a first year HC at NT got us to a bowl game? Has it ever happened? 

Yes.

Odus Mitchell took went 7-3-1, won the Lone Star Conference, and won the Optomist Bowl vs Nevada in 1946, his first year.  

ETA: You'll have to ask @SilverEagle what that game was like :) 

3 minutes ago, wardly said:

I don't think that Army is going anywhere unless they beat Navy. Two of their 6 wins are against 1aa opponents, and you can only count one towards being bowl eligible.In other words, they should be looked at as 5&5 and must beat the Midshipmen at home to make it to a bowl game.

Yes but they a very high APR ranking and will get an APR exemption for the 5 wins they have now even if they lose to Navy.  

Bowl and APR Situation

22 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Yes.

Odus Mitchell took went 7-3-1, won the Lone Star Conference, and won the Optomist Bowl vs Nevada in 1946, his first year.  

ETA: You'll have to ask @SilverEagle what that game was like :) 

So this is as rare as I thought it was. This is definitely something that says the arrow is pointing up.

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

I guess you and I are different kinds of salesman. I think taking a 1-11 team to a bowl in my first year is a great pitch. Kids can see they might be a part of something special.

I'd much rather be competitive, don't get me wrong.  I just dont understand why you'd want this team, this 1-11 to 6-win team, stay home over a possible big bowl loss.

I never said I wanted them to stay home... My point through out this post has been we need to play someone that we can be competitive against.. and not be another body-bag game like it would/could be vs TCU or UT.. yes they are having down years but those offenses can explode and most likely would vs this defense and their defense wouldn't have to worry as much either with our WRs lacking the ability to get off of press at times...

Give me someone we can have a fair against such as Army... A) its a great rematch B) Both teams could bring a solid fan base C) Its a fair match up in terms of talent for both teams.. Yes we should have the edge in terms of talent but we only have 60 something on scholarship...

10 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Why doesn't that bowl show up on the Mean Green Football wikipedia page? 

Because Wikipedia is not a reliable source.  

This is a big topic of discussion in academia.  It's mostly a management problem, and a regulatory problem.  Their regulations are now about larger than the corporate tax code.

Talk with some of the academics on campus and they would spend HOURS going over the errors in articles and how the regulations and built in overhead make them impossible to fix.

--- 

But forget all that, you can head over the to Portal to Texas History and find out info for yourself on that bowl game:

The Megaphone (Georgetown, Tex.), Vol. 40, No. [47], Ed. 1 Tuesday, December 3, 1946

zrTXSPJ.png

Borger-News Herald (Borger, Tex.), Vol. 21, No. 20, Ed. 1 Wednesday, December 18, 1946

LPkxlva.png

That says College of the Pacific.  Is that not UOP?  Or did Nevada have a really different name back then? 

The Google tells me that College of the Pacific is indeed modern day University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA.  They sadly dropped their football program after the 1995 season. 

14 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

zrTXSPJ.png

Borger-News Herald (Borger, Tex.), Vol. 21, No. 20, Ed. 1 Wednesday, December 18, 1946

LPkxlva.png

Edited by oldguystudent