We're Going Bowling! But Where?

shaft

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Because Wikipedia is not a reliable source.  

This is a big topic of discussion in academia.  It's mostly a management problem, and a regulatory problem.  Their regulations are now about larger than the corporate tax code.

Talk with some of the academics on campus and they would spend HOURS going over the errors in articles and how the regulations and built in overhead make them impossible to fix.

--- 

But forget all that, you can head over the to Portal to Texas History and find out info for yourself on that bowl game:

The Megaphone (Georgetown, Tex.), Vol. 40, No. [47], Ed. 1 Tuesday, December 3, 1946

zrTXSPJ.png

Borger-News Herald (Borger, Tex.), Vol. 21, No. 20, Ed. 1 Wednesday, December 18, 1946

LPkxlva.png

What REALLY jumps off the page for me is that team was coached by the great Amos Alonzo Stagg! Their quarterback was Eddie LeBaron! LeBaron was 5'7" and 170 pounds and was a 17-years old freshman when that game was played. Later on LeBaron was a 10th round pick by the Redskins, NFL Rookie of the Year, 4-time Pro-Bowler, and much more.

1946 Optimist Bowl
December 21, 1946
North Texas 14
Pacific 13
HOUSTON, Texas --
Louis Reinzi caught a
nine-yard touchdown pass from Billy Dinkle on
fourth down with nine seconds left and Dinkle’s
point after carried the Eagles to a thrilling 14-13
win over the University of the Pacific in the first
Optimist Bowl.
It was a significant game for several reasons, not
the least being the final game as head coach at
Pacific for the famous Amos Alonzo Stagg. It also
capped the first season for Eagle head coach Odus
Mitchell.
The winning score capped a 67-yard drive by the
Eagles. North Texas led 7-0 at the half thanks to
a 58-yard interception return for a touchdown by
Ned McNeil.
The Eagles won despite being out-gained 274 to
94. The Eagles also had to play most of the game
without starting quarterback Fred McCain, who
was kicked out of the game in the first quarter for
fighting.
For Stagg, the inventor of the T-formation, it was
the only bowl game that he would coach during
his 57 years as a college coach. Stagg became a
head coach at Springfield College in 1890 and
ammassed a career record of 329-190-35, which
ranks third among all college coaches in career
games coached. His Hall of Fame career came to a
close with a loss at the hands of the Eagels.
Score by Quarters
Score
Pacific
0 0
North Texas
Scoring Summary
NT - Ned McNeil 58 interception (Billy Dinkle
kick); COP - John Rhode 19 pass from Bruce Or
-
vis (Waits kick); COP - Heck 22 pass from Klein
(Waits kick failed); NT - Louis Reinzi 9 pass from
Billy Dinkle (Dinkle kick).
Edited by EagleMBA

According to the Sporting News, we get two bowls.  

Week 13 bowl projections

Cure Bowl: Eastern Michigan vs. Appalachian State

Marmot Boca Raton Bowl: Middle Tennessee State vs. Memphis

Gildan New Mexico Bowl: New Mexico vs. North Texas

Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Arizona State vs. San Diego State

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl: Central Michigan vs. Idaho

R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl: Arkansas State vs. Louisiana Tech

Miami Beach Bowl: Toledo vs. South Florida

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl: Miami, Ohio vs. North Texas

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kj86 said:

According to the Sporting News, we get two bowls.  

Week 13 bowl projections

Gildan New Mexico Bowl: New Mexico vs. North Texas

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl: Miami, Ohio vs. North Texas

Wow.  Split squad games are tough.  At least we have two quarterbacks.  

ETA:  This really tells you all you need to know about most bowl projections.  When they get down to the G5 bowls the writers usually don't understand any of the tie ins, or rules, or history... and have no desire to learn any of it.  

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Would love to enact revenge on Solich and Ohio!

Same, I'd rather beat New Mexico and tell every thx kid they offer hey we kicked their butt last year. Come on down to New Denton and not New Mexico 

• Upvote 4

New Mexico, Bahamas, Hawaii are the most likely.

CUSA has traded bowls before when it makes geographical sense, Idaho makes none.  What team in CUSA would rather go to Idaho and let a team from another conference go to the Bahamas?  

Remember CUSA aggregates all the bowl payouts and then pays travel expenses.  It might be more expensive for FANS to travel to Hawaii than to Idaho, but it's not more expensive for the team.  It's a covered cost either way.

14 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

New Mexico, Bahamas, Hawaii are the most likely.

CUSA has traded bowls before when it makes geographical sense, Idaho makes none.  What team in CUSA would rather go to Idaho and let a team from another conference go to the Bahamas?  

Remember CUSA aggregates all the bowl payouts and then pays travel expenses.  It might be more expensive for FANS to travel to Hawaii than to Idaho, but it's not more expensive for the team.  It's a covered cost either way.

Looks MTSU doesn't want to go back to Bahamas 

3 minutes ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

Looks MTSU doesn't want to go back to Bahamas 

I can understand not wanting to go to the same bowl game twice in a roll if you have an option.  But if it somehow came down to The Bahamas or Boise, that blue pegasus is going to start slathering on sunscreen lotion.  

5 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Seriously guys don't waste a lot of effort on what the national guys are saying about bowls. They've got 80 slots to fill and start tossing names like a monkey throwing crap to get the G5 spots covered. They usually are way off target.

Exactly.  They know nothing about G5 tie ins, and they have no real desire to learn.

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

CFN had us in the HoD before we even played Tulane.  Blind squirrels find nuts.  It doesn't mean they actually know or care how G5 bowl distribution works.  

Exactly. If you spend a minute or two beefing up on the selection order of the G5 conferences you see really weird stuff like teams that are going to be close calls to be eligible being in the first two bowls a league has.

C-USA has tried to accommodate the wishes of the two division champs. Louisiana Tech is almost assured to have HOD as their first choice because it's about an hour closer than going to NOLA, have a decent number of alums in Dallas and easy drive for alums in Shreveport. WKU is probably going to have Boca atop their wish list. MTSU is likely to cash in their chips from going to Bahamas last year to stay in the continental US and probably angle for New Mexico because it's a great time slot against MWC and draws a good audience (if I were their AD, I'd lobby for it). I would be surprised if MTSU were asked to go to Hawaii or back to the Bahamas. I'd also expect that MTSU would argue they shouldn't go to NOLA if AState is headed there because we hired their OC, if Troy goes to NOLA they ought to make MTSU go play for the goofy trophy they had for their series again.

That leaves Hawaii, Bahamas and NOLA to sort out between ODU and I would expect UNT and UTSA and NOLA will ask for the one they think will bring the most people while praying that USM upsets Tech.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Exactly. If you spend a minute or two beefing up on the selection order of the G5 conferences you see really weird stuff like teams that are going to be close calls to be eligible being in the first two bowls a league has.

C-USA has tried to accommodate the wishes of the two division champs. Louisiana Tech is almost assured to have HOD as their first choice because it's about an hour closer than going to NOLA, have a decent number of alums in Dallas and easy drive for alums in Shreveport. WKU is probably going to have Boca atop their wish list. MTSU is likely to cash in their chips from going to Bahamas last year to stay in the continental US and probably angle for New Mexico because it's a great time slot against MWC and draws a good audience (if I were their AD, I'd lobby for it). I would be surprised if MTSU were asked to go to Hawaii or back to the Bahamas. I'd also expect that MTSU would argue they shouldn't go to NOLA if AState is headed there because we hired their OC, if Troy goes to NOLA they ought to make MTSU go play for the goofy trophy they had for their series again.

That leaves Hawaii, Bahamas and NOLA to sort out between ODU and I would expect UNT and UTSA and NOLA will ask for the one they think will bring the most people while praying that USM upsets Tech.

I'd take New Orleans over any of the other Bowls we've seen thrown around here lately. As John Shaft would say, " 10 times outta 10."

• Upvote 1

Popeyes Bahamas Bowl Weekly Release – 2016 Week 13 (November 22-26)

Popeyes Bahamas Bowl Communications | November 23, 2016

PASSPORT STAMPED (BOWL-ELIGIBLE TEAMS): AAC (7): Houston (9-2), USF (9-2), Navy (8-2; will play in Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl), Temple (8-3), Tulsa (8-3), Memphis (7-4), UCF (6-5); C-USA (4): Louisiana Tech (8-3), WKU (8-3), Old Dominion (8-3), Middle Tennessee (7-4); MAC (6): Western Michigan (11-0), Toledo (9-2), Ohio (8-4), Eastern Michigan (7-5), Central Michigan (6-6), Miami (6-6). AT CUSTOMS (ONE VICTORY SHY): AAC (1): SMU (5-6); C-USA (3): North Texas (5-6), Southern Miss (5-6), UTSA (5-6).

http://www.bahamasbowl.com/popeyes-bahamas-bowl-weekly-release-2016-week-13-november-22-26/