Florida fans have something good to say about North Texas

Harry

20 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Noticed that too, but I think it's a common misconception. Panhandle really is the furthest northern part of Texas, but obviously we call it west Texas or the panhandle so that can be confusing. Honestly didn't know their campus isn't really that close to an ocean either so I'm just as bad. 

I unfortunately live in Amarillo and really its the Panhandle or Northwest Texas. Folks in Midland claim they are West Texas. The hospital here is called Northwest Texas...makes sense geographically. I usually just call it the Great White North of Texas because the winters blow...literally and figuratively...and its snows more here than anywhere else. 

31 minutes ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

Actually, I believe Gatorade was developed on the campus of the University of Florida.

Gatorade is owned by the Quaker Oats Company.

Thought the Quaker Oats were Penn State. Might want to check facts. I had always read Gatorade was developed at Mississippi State and called Staterade, but the patents were allowed to expire and Steve Spurrier bought them and rebranded. Not true?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Thought the Quaker Oats were Penn State. Might want to check facts. I had always read Gatorade was developed at Mississippi State and called Staterade, but the patents were allowed to expire and Steve Spurrier bought them and rebranded. Not true?

I think you're confusing with Galen Hall.  Prior to his becoming HC at Florida, his family had made a lot of money selling cough drops.  Yeah, the big flavor was Mentho-Lyptus, but actually, his favorite were the Breezers "Pectin" flavor, which had a sort of citrus taste.  I think the whole Orange/Florida/Gatorade confusion started there.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Yeah, it's true.  It was originally Gator-Aid, but the Band-Aid corp threw a big stink, causing them to have to rename it.

Gaetan Dugas was none too happy about it either, but luckily this was the 80s and awareness just wasn't there yet.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreengdub said:

I unfortunately live in Amarillo and really its the Panhandle or Northwest Texas. Folks in Midland claim they are West Texas. The hospital here is called Northwest Texas...makes sense geographically. I usually just call it the Great White North of Texas because the winters blow...literally and figuratively...and its snows more here than anywhere else. 

The weather here is odd.  We had maybe 2 inches during the massive blizzard armageddon last winter.

10 hours ago, aztecskin said:

You forgot me. I went to NT. Please correct. 

My bad, Aztecskin, you are toward the top of our celeb crowd list & how I forgot you I'll never know.??

?Just One More:  

Lewis Abernathy who played the part of Lewis Bodine in his Hollywood buddy James Cameron's movie mega-hit " Titanic" is also a UNT alum.  He was the scruffy, foul mouthed hippy with long hair & glasses in the movie.  He has mostly been a writer & director in Hollywood, but his drinking buddy James Cameron wanted him to play Bodine. 

14 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

:cool: Kudos to Florida Gator fans and alums!   They've compiled quite an anthology of our UNT pop culture.

Other rich, famous (one in prison) North Texas Exes they might want to add photos of are: 

Pat Boone, Roy Orbison, the lovely, sensuous Norah Jones, Actor Thomas "Sideways" Church, NFL Female Broadcast Pioneer & Denton's own Phyllis George,  Peter (Robocop) Weller, Joe Don "Walking Tall" Baker, Uh.....Tex Watson (of the Charlie Manson Gang),  Ely Young Band (who all met & then formed their band at UNT's Clark Hall dorm), Michael Martin "Wildfire" Murphy, Bobby "I Fought the Law But The Law Won" Fuller,  Larry McMurtry, Old Hollywood actresses Joan Blondell and Ann Sheridan, Actor James "Caretaker in the Longest Yard" Hampton & others I know I've left off this list.

GMG!

We're getting old, folks:  Actor James Hampton turned 80 this year.

Plumm, please allow me, your humble servant, to suggest two names for inclusion:

"Blue Lou" Marini and Tom "Bones" Malone. One O'Clock (both), BS&T (Marini), The Blues Brothers Band (both), CBS Orchestra (Malone), and other credits. Also, I nearly forgot Meatloaf!

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

:huh:  Heck, one of the Gators enlightened us with his list of North Texas Exes that included Comanche Chief Quanah Parker as one of our alums.........(uh, not). :)

I grew up learning about the  great Comanche Chief since he & his mother's (Cynthia Ann Parker) story is part of my family's doings back in 1800's Texas.  ➡️ I know, History is boring to most.?

When I went to 3 UNT/OU games in Norman, I did see many of his people sitting in the stands.  Love our Native Americans!  I have a nephew who is 25% Sioux and a North Texas alum, (Of course, I told him he had no choice as to where to go to college. }:>)  Also told him he should have used his Sioux Indian heritage from his dad's side to get tuition assistance---but he didn't.

Gator-ade?   Our HS football coach at my school SW of Houston was one of its first buyers.  Never forgot during 2-a-days when he pulled out that bag of powdered green stuff, mixed it in in a cooler of ice waterr & then asked us to give it a shot.   The most common thing we football players used to describe it back then was.....THIS STUFF TASTES LIKE......SHEE'IT!    (Back then, we also popped salt tablets like they were candy not knowing at that time how dangerous they could have been to our health).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I heard a funny story about the start of Gatorade on the University of Florida campus.   The scientists that first developed it got the Florida football team to try it out at a game.    The report back was that the stuff was helpful but "this stuff tastes like piss".    Because they were scientists they went back to their lab and ran taste tests.   They later reported that "no, it doesn't".   I think I read this report on the internet so I know that it must be true.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Huff said:

I heard a funny story about the start of Gatorade on the University of Florida campus.   The scientists that first developed it got the Florida football team to try it out at a game.    The report back was that the stuff was helpful but "this stuff tastes like piss".    Because they were scientists they went back to their lab and ran taste tests.   They later reported that "no, it doesn't".   I think I read this report on the internet so I know that it must be true.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Gatorade is under the PepsiCo umbrella. 

Now, I'm not too sure about all these other jokers, but I know YOU'RE lying.

3 hours ago, Huff said:

There's actually proof that the first person to taste Gatorade was none other than Chief Quanah Parker himself, and he was not impressed:
XR6uDrc.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There's actually proof that the first person to taste Gatorade was none other than Chief Quanah Parker himself, and he was not impressed:
XR6uDrc.jpg

Photo-Shop should be illegal!  LOL!   I have to chuckle, though.   Quanah was a great chief who helped his people transition.  No, not happy with the raw deal they got throughout history at all, especially at Wounded Knee (among other depridations).  

The last great Comanche chief & President Teddy Roosevelt became good friends.  Quanah & braves rode in TR's first inauguration parade on Pennsylvania Avenue.

The photo below is Chief Quanah & his braves who came down from Cache, Oklahoma for the Grand Opening of the Cowtown Coliseum (near Billy Bobs Texas).  No, I wasn't there but I heard they had Gatorade at all the concession stands. 

* I KNOW, HISTORY IS BORING TO MOST.?

13103501_10201495235340243_484314699058799855_n.jpg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

XR6uDrc.jpg

This is clearly edited.  Quanah Parker was not holding that Gatorade when he applied the IG filter.

• Upvote 1