Florida game report card

Harry

QB - Incomplete.  Fine was running for his life the entire game.  When given some time he showed he can make a play.

RB - C.  Hard to give them a bad grade when they had so few holes.

OL - D.  Missed assignments, little push, lack of cohesiveness.  Deserved an F but Florida is a tall order for this new group so I will be kind.

WR - C.  Lot's of drops.  What was more concerning was they could not get separation.

DL - C.  Played well against a bigger team.  Wore down as the game went on.

LB - B.  I was pleasantly surprised at the play here and Courtney Finney may deserve the game ball.

DB - A.  I though our secondary hung well with some of the best talent in the country for Florida.

Special Teams - B.  We didn't give Florida anything in  the special teams area tonight unlike our payday games in the past.

Special recognition goes to Coach Mike Ekeler who I thought called one of the best defensive gameplans I have seen us play against a superior talent team. 

Goat of the game goes to Florida Head Coach Jim McElvain who made a complete ass out of himself with his silly temper tantrum.  To insinuate that Wheeler purposely tried to hurt Del Rio was assnine.  If I was the SEC conference office, I would reprimand McElvain publicly for his actions.  Just shameful.

If the D plays like this the rest of the season we can win some games. I was impressed with them considering they were on the field just about the whole game. If the offense could have moved the ball at all it could have been a different game. But Floridas D is legit. Crazy good. 

• Upvote 7

The defense played with toughness and tenacity all game long. Great job of coaching by Ekeler and crew and a great effort from the players.  I was impressed by the conditioning of the players as they were left on the field a lot and did not wear down like we've seen so often in years past.  As far as special teams, they were pretty solid.  The rugby punts were very effective.  Now time to get the offense clicking now that we won't face another defense like Florida has.

• Upvote 5

Amen! Amen to all of the above posts. I saw the same game.

In my season record prediction, I cited my concern about the O-Line. The coaches must find a way to patch it up some way.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

I would probably bump Special Teams up to a B+, at minimum, if not an A.

Keena was incredible.  No big Florida returns on any of his punts.   Only real problem was Wyche's muff, but at least he recovered.
Tough to get any returns going against those guys, and their kicker was constantly putting kickoffs in the back of the end zone.

Wish they would have let Moore kick that field goal to get some points on the board.   No one likes a goose egg.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, FireFightnJoey said:

If the D plays like this the rest of the season we can win some games. I was impressed with them considering they were on the field just about the whole game. If the offense could have moved the ball at all it could have been a different game. But Floridas D is legit. Crazy good. 

Yep!?

14 hours ago, Harry said:

QB - Incomplete.  Fine was running for his life the entire game.  When given some time he showed he can make a play.

RB - C.  Hard to give them a bad grade when they had so few holes.

OL - D.  Missed assignments, little push, lack of cohesiveness.  Deserved an F but Florida is a tall order for this new group so I will be kind.

WR - C.  Lot's of drops.  What was more concerning was they could not get separation.

DL - C.  Played well against a bigger team.  Wore down as the game went on.

LB - B.  I was pleasantly surprised at the play here and Courtney Finney may deserve the game ball.

DB - A.  I though our secondary hung well with some of the best talent in the country for Florida.

Special Teams - B.  We didn't give Florida anything in  the special teams area tonight unlike our payday games in the past.

Special recognition goes to Coach Mike Ekeler who I thought called one of the best defensive gameplans I have seen us play against a superior talent team. 

Goat of the game goes to Florida Head Coach Jim McElvain who made a complete ass out of himself with his silly temper tantrum.  To insinuate that Wheeler purposely tried to hurt Del Rio was assnine.  If I was the SEC conference office, I would reprimand McElvain publicly for his actions.  Just shameful.

I give the running back a Pass as well, the offensive line was non existent, This game our O-Line was pushed around like crazy, the safety the whole offensive line looked like it was pushed back ten yards in less than a second, it was like watching High School seniors push around 6th graders.  I am sure this will get better with time, plus none of the rest of teams we have scheduled this year will have that kind of size or depth or even close. 

13 hours ago, GMG81 said:

All great and dandy. Rice is a must win and must be approached as such by everyone involved. 

Must win what does that mean? Are you thinking this is a bowl year? The only must win I had penciled in was Bethune-Cookman. And I really want to beat San Antonio. I am expecting 2 wins but I am getting encouraged that we may have more.

I am still puzzled why we never pass set for 2 steps then the entire OLine cut the Dline!! Seriously you want to slow a rush down I personally believe that is a better way to slow them down than a screen play.  That will help in multiple areas of our offense.  Mainly slowing the Dline down and getting the ball out quickly!

5 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I running back a Pass as well, the offensive line was non existent, This game our O-Line was pushed around like crazy, the safety the whole offensive line looked like it was pushed back ten yards in less than a second, it was like watching High School seniors push around 6th graders.  I am sure this will get better with time, plus none of the rest of teams we have scheduled this year will have that kind of size or depth or even close. 

Must win what does that mean? Are you thinking this is a bowl year? The only must win I had penciled in was Bethune-Cookman. And I really want to beat San Antonio. I am expecting 2 wins but I am getting encouraged that we may have more.

Every year is a bowl year unless there's a 7 in the loss column. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG81 said:

Every year is a bowl year unless there's a 7 in the loss column. 

And then there is reality is the problem. I hope for a bowl, I also hope to win the Powerball Jackpot. I used to hope for a snow day in May when I was in grade school and a I grew up in Dallas BTW.  My mother would tell me something about; "you can hope in one hand and crap in the other, let me know which one get full first."

29 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

And then there is reality is the problem. I hope for a bowl, I also hope to win the Powerball Jackpot. I used to hope for a snow day in May when I was in grade school and a I grew up in Dallas BTW.  My mother would tell me something about; "you can hope in one hand and crap in the other, let me know which one gets full first."

Yeah. 

• Upvote 1

Um, we scored zero points and gained 50 yards.  EVERY position group on offense gets an F.  

Special teams is an A.

Defense played well.  I only remember two or three plays going for more than 20 yards and no big play TDs.  Thought the defense played even better than the great 2013 defense played against Georgia.  I give them a B+

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

Um, we scored zero points and gained 50 yards.  EVERY position group on offense gets an F.  

Special teams is an A.

Defense played well.  I only remember two or three plays going for more than 20 yards and no big play TDs.  Thought the defense played even better than the great 2013 defense played against Georgia.  I give them a B+

I think this is fair and honest. 

17 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Special teams is an A.

Especially Nate Brooks.  He was everywhere.

I also like when Fine had time, he was not afraid to go right after Tabor or Maye.

Watched every sack play. 5 of the 7 sacks he had reads to throw quickly and held the ball due to pressure in his face. Now granted he is young, but throws were there. A ton of really good teaching moments for Graham and Littrell. 

I also watched the run game closely. We run to the left far more frequent. The run game could've popped several times but there was always 1 OL that missed his assignment, most notably Murray. Especially in the stretch zone runs. He was getting ran around or he was getting beat to the inside on first step. He reminded me of a batter at the plate that had no idea what pitch was coming next. 

On 9/17/2016 at 10:17 PM, Harry said:

Couldnt agree More.

I wish McLovin would of crossed the 50 yard line so Littrell could of Pile Drived his ass into the turf. Littrell is a man I wouldn't F with even if he was on his death bed.

22 hours ago, GMG81 said:

Watched every sack play. 5 of the 7 sacks he had reads to throw quickly and held the ball due to pressure in his face. Now granted he is young, but throws were there. A ton of really good teaching moments for Graham and Littrell. 

I also watched the run game closely. We run to the left far more frequent. The run game could've popped several times but there was always 1 OL that missed his assignment, most notably Murray. Especially in the stretch zone runs. He was getting ran around or he was getting beat to the inside on first step. He reminded me of a batter at the plate that had no idea what pitch was coming next. 

Good assessment. When Fine has time, he executes extremely well. Murray got his rear end kicked, as did Gunter. Bad night for those boys, but thankful that is far and away the best front that we will see this season. The Gators recovery speed was unreal. We had them out of position a lot of times, only for them to recover in an instance.

Teaching opportunities aplenty, and this week the game speed should "slow down", allowing our backs to get creases and the QB to have adequate time for progressions. Looking forward to being 1-0 in C-USA play at the end of Saturday night.