UNT Dallas Law School in danger of not getting accredited

Cerebus

DaMN: UNT Dallas Law School in danger of not getting accredited

The UNT Dallas College of Law also has a shaky financial plan, according to a key advisory group of the American Bar Association, which accredits the nation’s law schools.

The group advised against accreditation — a crucial seal of approval.

In Texas, only graduates of accredited schools can take the Texas bar exam. And they must pass the exam to practice law in the state.

Can we focus on getting Chancellor Jackson replaced now?  Who wants to start up the kickstarter for the banner?

Texas Wesleyan University School of Law (then Dallas/Forth Worth School of Law and Now Texas A&M University School of Law) had its own hiccups on accreditation initially as well.

History of the Texas Wesleyan University School of Law

A waiver was granted to allow students to take the Texas Bar Exam, so hopefully the same could happen here, if needed.

Texas Wesleyan acquired the law school in 1992. The first class of the Texas Wesleyan University School of Law graduated in early 1993. Waivers were granted by the Texas Supreme Court on a vote of 9-0 so that Texas Wesleyan law graduates could take the Texas State Bar exam, even though the school had not yet been accredited by the American Bar Association. Provisional accreditation was granted by the ABA in August 1994.

• Upvote 5

Looks like our social experiment is not going to pass muster with the ABA. Looks like it is time to tighten up and go toward the mainstream. Frankly, this is embarrassing.

• Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Looks like our social experiment is not going to pass muster with the ABA. Looks like it is time to tighten up and go toward the mainstream. Frankly, this is embarrassing.

Embarrassing was the first thing I thought as well.  You don't take on a project at this level without knowing behind the scenes that it has a VERY good chance of happening.  This is on Jackson as far as I'm concerned.  They should have waited until they had more money in the bag from donations IMO

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Stan R said:

Embarrassing was the first thing I thought as well.  You don't take on a project at this level without knowing behind the scenes that it has a VERY good chance of happening.  This is on Jackson as far as I'm concerned.  They should have waited until they had more money in the bag from donations IMO

Sometimes you have to grab an opportunity as is, and fix it as you go. Otherwise, you may lose the opportunity. Happens in business all the time.  Texas Weslyan had the same issue. We are going to have issues with the new medical school as well, but when it is all said and done, we will have both a medical and law school in the metroplex. Bumps will happen, we just need to push through. Think Big Picture. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

Lee Jackson is a waste of air in the UNT System, wish BOR would give him the DMac and RV treatment, he has done literally nothing but screw the Denton Campus since he took over as Supreme Leader

I'm just as on-board the Jackson Hate Train as the next guy, and if the Law school falls through it should mean curtains for him....BUT even if he's actively trying to screw over the Denton campus it sure is thriving under his oppressive leadership.  Have you been on-campus recently?  2016 UNT Denton campus kicks the @ss of 2001 (when I graduated) UNT Denton campus.  Same thing could be said for RV, so not a vote of confidence, but what exactly has he done that has hurt the Denton campus?

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I prefer how Steve Wynn operates.  You only open a project once you know it will be successful.  You only get one chance to make a first impression.  Wynn has delayed his Wynn Macau project once all staff were cleared on Visa from Beijing.  He has delayed his opening from November of last year until this month because you can't go back.  

This is embarrassing.  The fact it is even this close to not qualifying is a ding on the entire UNT system.

Get it in order Smastrek.

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, NM Green said:

I prefer how Steve Wynn operates.  You only open a project once you know it will be successful.  You only get one chance to make a first impression.  Wynn has delayed his Wynn Macau project once all staff were cleared on Visa from Beijing.  He has delayed his opening from November of last year until this month because you can't go back.  

This is embarrassing.  The fact it is even this close to not qualifying is a ding on the entire UNT system.

Get it in order Smastrek.

GMG

Just to be clear, Smatresk is the the President of UNT Denton. Bob Mong is the President of UNT Dallas.  This is Bob's (and Dallas Lee's) ugly baby.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Stan R said:

I'm not surprised at this at all.  Typical UNT "half ass" attempt on a questionable project.  If you're gonna have a law school, put it on the main campus in Denton!  And have the damn thing funded properly before you start!  Jackson failed on this project and needs to go!

"Social Experiment".  LOL!  How true, indeed.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I'm not surprised at this at all.  Typical UNT "half ass" attempt on a questionable project.  If you're gonna have a law school, put it on the main campus in Denton!  And have the damn thing funded properly before you start!  Jackson failed on this project and needs to go!

"Social Experiment".  LOL!  How true, indeed.

Dallas is the right place for this campus......location, location, location....All will be fine with the Law School

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Harry, what's the football angle here?

It's like you're at the big football game with that really Class A New Date and you discretely lean over to take a little pressure off that hot dog and you
blow six pounds of brown.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Saw this coming. Like @Eastwood Eagle mentions, no state in the country save maybe Wyoming or something needs more law schools. As much as I admire the mission of the school, even the jobs they seek graduates to pursue already have a market. There are plenty of folks from SMU and A&M law willing to take public service jobs or any legal jobs at the moment, trust me. They aren't filling a need and opened at probably the worst possible time. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Got to give it to Lee and his Dallas political allies, they have accomplished an unique feat.    Opened a law school and lost prestige for the NT system.   

I suspect that the school will eventually be accredited, but the whole plan reeks of incompetence at the top.   The concept of a low standard relatively cheap Law degree, in a time were the country and Texas has an over abundance  of lawyers, is a hard sell.  Certainly not going to get any support from the majority of the legal community which want to protect the dwindling value and prestige of their degrees.      

• Upvote 6