Who's going to the Army Game?

NTAlum09

I went to the last game we played there and cannot recommend it highly enough. The atmosphere is quite special. There is a parade in the morning (not the type you are used to seeing) followed by the game.  I recommend you arrive early enough to attend both as well as stroll around the campus.

Assuming you take the Metro-North train from Grand Central, you'll need to take a rather expensive taxi from Garrison which is the nearest station to West Point.   Even the train ride is a treat as you travel up the Hudson and the leaves should be changing around that time.

As for me, I work in NYC bit have a business obligation on game day that I cannot get out of. What bad luck!

If anyone wants to know about hotels, restaurants, etc in NYC, just let me know.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I went to the last game we played there and cannot recommend it highly enough. The atmosphere is quite special. There is a parade in the morning (not the type you are used to seeing) followed by the game.  I recommend you arrive early enough to attend both as well as stroll around the campus.

Assuming you take the Metro-North train from Grand Central, you'll need to take a rather expensive taxi from Garrison which is the nearest station to West Point.   Even the train ride is a treat as you travel up the Hudson and the leaves should be changing around that time.

As for me, I work in NYC bit have a business obligation on game day that I cannot get out of. What bad luck!

If anyone wants to know about hotels, restaurants, etc in NYC, just let me know.

Please share!

Army's a great away game. The campus is beautiful, the tailgating scene is solid and the stadium environment is a lot of fun. 

I'm starting to rally a pretty good-sized group here in New York. If anyone's flying up from TX (or elsewhere) and wants to join forces definitely let me know. 

My recommendation -- there's actually a high-speed ferry that leaves from Lower Manhattan on game days. It's a seriously beautiful ride up the Hudson River Valley, docks right at the campus, and takes you back to New York 45-minutes after the game. They offer combo-packages with game tickets + ferry tickets for around $130. 

They haven't updated their site with the 2016 schedule yet, but this should give you an idea: http://seastreak.com/tour-and-event-cruises/west-point-football-game-day-cruise/

It makes for a great, easy day and gives you a excuse to hang in New York for a few days. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Army's a great away game. The campus is beautiful, the tailgating scene is solid and the stadium environment is a lot of fun. 

I'm starting to rally a pretty good-sized group here in New York. If anyone's flying up from TX (or elsewhere) and wants to join forces definitely let me know. 

My recommendation -- there's actually a high-speed ferry that leaves from Lower Manhattan on game days. It's a seriously beautiful ride up the Hudson River Valley, docks right at the campus, and takes you back to New York 45-minutes after the game. They offer combo-packages with game tickets + ferry tickets for around $130. 

They haven't updated their site with the 2016 schedule yet, but this should give you an idea: http://seastreak.com/tour-and-event-cruises/west-point-football-game-day-cruise/

It makes for a great, easy day and gives you a excuse to hang in New York for a few days. 

Very Neat!! 

After wasting money on several trips that UNT embarrassed themselves I'm holding off on spending money on airfare, hotels, tickets, ect. until this team shows some character. (Which it seriously lacked character & leadership lately.) 

I expect a lot of minuses but it's really been a waste of money and a buzz kill. I'll do some closer games to DFW like UTSA, Rice, or Ruston but I'm not dropping thousands on a trip if this team doesn't change.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

My wife and I are going.  Beautiful place...tons of history.  My son played a soccer game there against Army when he was at Kings Point.  I had the pleasure of being able to attend.  Just being on campus was worth the cost.  I highly recommend going to this one...it is so much more than just a football game.  Whether the Mean Green wins, loses or ties, the experience is well worth the trip and costs.  That being said...I fully expect a Mean Green win!

• Upvote 3

I'll be going.  I live in NYC and would love to be part of the larger group heading up there!  I can drive, but I love the idea of taking the ferry up.   

For those of you who have never seen Westpoint, or the area surrounding it.  It is BEAUTIFUL, make the trip.

Edited by UNTGuy5
  • Upvote 1

I was surprised with what I found in and around West Point.  It was not what I had envisioned NY State to look like.  We went 6 (?) years ago and sat in the end zone almost close enough to help Derek Thompson off the field when he broke his leg.

We met LETSGIVEACHEER on the Poughkeepsie Train (but as I recall we got off at the Peekskill Station rather than the Garrison Station).  He told us to make sure we went to the Campbell Apartment in Grand Central Station.  It was well worth the visit.  

The Ferry to West Point sounds like fun but it takes 3 hours !  We will look at going back.  It was my first visit to NY and we had a great time.  I like "destination" Mean Green road trips and my wife likes to travel anywhere. 

GO MEAN GREEN 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

You can't drive to the campus?

it seems most advocating the train are coming up from new york city...either they live there and likely don't have a car or they're flying in and don't plan on renting one.

4 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I was surprised with what I found in and around West Point.  It was not what I had envisioned NY State to look like.  We went 6 (?) years ago and sat in the end zone almost close enough to help Derek Thompson off the field when he broke his leg.

We met LETSGIVEACHEER on the Poughkeepsie Train (but as I recall we got off at the Peekskill Station rather than the Garrison Station).  He told us to make sure we went to the Campbell Apartment in Grand Central Station.  It was well worth the visit.  

The Ferry to West Point sounds like fun but it takes 3 hours !  We will look at going back.  It was my first visit to NY and we had a great time.  I like "destination" Mean Green road trips and my wife likes to travel anywhere. 

GO MEAN GREEN 

the hudson river valley one of the most gorgeous areas in the country and it will be in full color in october. the ferry sounds pretty amazing...might be something to consider maybe for the ride up and then take the train home...lovely morning up the hudson with the missus, then train it back in an hour or so.

Best road game trip we've ever made including any of the big games. The games at West Point are just different.

The Cadet Review on the plain is not to be missed.

The cadets and band coming in before the game

The cadets parachuting in (and knowing they aren't doing this for money they are doing it as training for real life) it's just special.

Even watching that Dodge team get clobbered when DT broke his leg along with the return man who tore his knee etc., even with that, best road trip ever.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1