MGB breaking news -- UNT lands high school QB

Brett Vito

The comments Brett got out of him lead me to believe Littrell (if not Harrell, as well) wanted him more than Burns.

He said he ran the Air Raid at his high school, and he apparently understands it pretty well... at least, his H.S. version of it.   He's a risk due to his height, but if he can overcome that hurdle, I think the sky is the limit for him.

Best of luck Mason, welcome to the Mean Green.  We're pulling for you!

11 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I'm guessing you forget the injury problems that Rodge had at UNT.

Rodge had a glass jaw, and Todge didn't seem to consider an offensive line to be of any importance, hence Gio leaving and ultimately quitting the game after taking beating after miserable beating under Todge's brilliant plan.

Hopefully, Littrell has a little bit better understand of the realities and necessities of big boy football to protect his QB and let him do his thing.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Rodge had a glass jaw, and Todge didn't seem to consider an offensive line to be of any importance, hence Gio leaving and ultimately quitting the game after taking beating after miserable beating under Todge's brilliant plan.

Hopefully, Littrell has a little bit better understand of the realities and necessities of big boy football to protect his QB and let him do his thing.

Dodge knew he needed linemen, he just couldn't get them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I'm guessing you forget the injury problems that Rodge had at UNT.

Does anyone know for sure if this is a scholly offer of a preferred walk on? 

Hopefully Fine beats the odds. 

Right but I really believe if Rodge didn't feel the need to run head first into defenders on every other play that broke down he wouldn't be injured as much.   He was competitive but not in a smart way unfortunately.  Let the running backs do the running.  5 yard scrambles with a slide at the end can be very effective.  

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

This kid can play.  All-state in OK and player if the year as a junior.  I get the size thing, but how big do you have to be to run a spread offense that often relies on quick short passes to guys who can eat up yards after the catch?  I am guessing that at 5' 11" he is still tall enough to find a downfield receiver and as a college freshman, I am guessing that this kid is not through growing.

Good get!  Needed a HS QB...looks like a quality get! 

nov-14-2010-murfreesboro-tennessee-unite

137093-Riley%20for%20blog.jpg

4936554.jpgRiley%20Dodge-M.jpg10-10-2009-university-of-north-texas-at-20101001_inq_owlsfb01-a.JPGI0000BHIoMoB6fyQ.jpgJoshua%20McNary-M.jpgimg-dorsey2.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

12 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

Looks bigger in the video

That's because Lone Grove is 3A in Oklahoma...schools with about 500 enrollment down to 300 or so.  Those weren't the big Oklahoma schools he was putting up numbers against like Jenks, Union, Broken Arrow, the Edmond schools,, etc.:  http://www.ossaaonline.com/docs/2013-14/Football/FB_1415_1516_Classifications_1.pdf

Lone Grove itself only has a population of about 1,200.  You aren't going to get too many big kids on team in smaller cities like that.  Occasionally, you'll get a big guy from a small place. 

So, he may look big in his highlight films.  But, you've got to consider the competition.  C-USA isn't the best college competition; but, it isn't Oklahoma 3A either.  He won't look big on gameday.   

Good article on Fine:  http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/mason-jason-the-most-prolific-passing-duo-in-state-history/article_bdae045a-e295-5950-85aa-970e8754f590.html

If they are taking him, I'd have given an offer to his teammate that set the record for catches as well; he only runs a 4.7, but he's 6'3".  A redshirt year, weight room, and training table, and he could turn into a H-Back or Tight End.  Plus, all we have to do is beat Emporia State for his signature.

At QB I think the height requirements are often overrated and that is a chance for teams like UNT to get an underrated QB. As long as the guy has proven that he can put up the numbers I think he projects fairly well also at the next level, which seems to be the case. So I do think chances of this working out to some degree are decent. That said, a redshirt so he can grow bigger in the weight room and becomes less injury prone might be a good idea.

Now if we start / keep having small linemen, then that would totally be concerning, you do need to have a few really big boys there. Even more so if your QB is not built like the Terminator. And frankly, until I see some big boys rolling in I am concerned there. The fact that we still don't have a DL coach is another seriously bad indication. It probably is the position where coach Littrells expertise is the smallest and he really needs a quality position coach there.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, akriesman said:

I really think that our new coaching staff is going to raise the bar around here.  However, Mac left us in worse shape than I can ever remember after a coaching transition.  

This^^^.  After Mac decided to change his recruiting philosophy and wait and go after players after the season, it immediately put us behind everyone.  Littrell and staff are having to live with this poor decision.

14 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Current Southern Miss squad was mostly recruited after 1-11 and 0-12 seasons.

And they had mostly 2 star recruits in the classes following these season too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Harry said:

Funny thing on Pirtile, he has similar speed to what they said Johnny Quinn had in high school.  He's taller as Quinn was 6-0.

Agree...that's why I say, if the QB, why not the WR as well?  Article says they are both good, hardworking kids who set records in the state of Oklahoma.  The coach in the article said the QB was probably finished growing, but not the WR. 

So...sign him, redshirt him, feed him, work his butt off in the weight room, and see whether he can become one of the H-backs like Tulsa has produced along the lines of Charles Clay or Garrett Mills, who were college hybrids who grew into pro TE and FBs ( http://www.nfl.com/player/charlesclay/2495139/profile ) / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_Mills

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This^^^.  After Mac decided to change his recruiting philosophy and wait and go after players after the season, it immediately put us behind everyone.  Littrell and staff are having to live with this poor decision.

And they had mostly 2 star recruits in the classes following these season too.

That's one way to put it... Just sprinkled in with oh, 7 or 8 3-star recruits in 2013 and mostly 3-star recruits to go along with a 4 star recruit in 2012. 

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

That's one way to put it... Just sprinkled in with oh, 7 or 8 3-star recruits in 2013 and mostly 3-star recruits to go along with a 4 star recruit in 2012. 

I can't remember a 4 star other than transfers. Could you put names to the stars please and if they were consensus or just 24/7, scout, or rivals?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

None of this should be surprising or even disappointing. Littrell is digging us out of hole tha tis miles deep. We aren't down here by luck. Our program was the worst in the country last year, and its not like we have enjoyed anything but bad to incredibly awful football for all of the last 11 years, sans 2009. Go back to 1995, when we went up to Division 1 football, when recruits weren't even a glint in their parents' eyes, all their parents and coaches have seen is a program that doesn't know how to compete at this level or, even worse, doesn't want to compete at this level, but knows that we can get funding from other schools by playing at this level.

We are 84-166 since 1995, a .336 winning percentage. Against FCS schools, we are 6-2 in that timeframe, not including provisional teams like Troy, WKU, and USA. Against actual FBS programs, we are winning about 31% of our games...covering 21 years. 4 winning seasons, 17 losing seasons. Losing seasons of 8 or more games in that span: 13.

To think that Seth Littrell, within a month of being on the job here in Texas, recruiting to a school with a horrid track record for results and support in football, as well as being new to the state since he is coming here from UNC, was going to raise the level of recruiting to anything above the UTSA's and Texas State's of the world is just dreaming. And I only list those schools because they had coaches leave late in the recruiting season, otherwise they wouldn't even be in this discussion.

Littrell has one selling point--playing time in a wide-open offense. That's it. Stadium and facilities are very nice, but so are most of our peers now. Offense we run is basically the same as what every other modern football program runs, thankfully. Academics are good here, but so are they at a lot of other colleges we compete against. So that leaves the playing time--and every recruit needs to hear Littrell and company tell them that playing time can be had the moment you walk on campus...its not like the current roster even showed anyone that they deserve to start. You cannot go 1-11, suffer the most humiliating loss in modern college football history by quitting on the school on Homecoming against a FCS school, and expect to get to be given a starting job. The real world doesn't work like that--and every recruit, their parents and their coaches, should all hear that.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

That's because Lone Grove is 3A in Oklahoma...schools with about 500 enrollment down to 300 or so. 

Hmmm, I wonder if Mr. Wilson knows he wasn't supposed to do so well coming straight out of Elkhart, a school of 356. Or how about the Fortenberrys from Era HS (436), or Mr. Flusche from Muenster HS (210). 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Hmmm, I wonder if Mr. Wilson knows he wasn't supposed to do so well coming straight out of Elkhart, a school of 356. Or how about the Fortenberrys from Era HS (436), or Mr. Flusche from Muenster HS (210). 

You're missing the context of his post and the post he was responding to.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

So that leaves the playing time--and every recruit needs to hear Littrell and company tell them that playing time can be had the moment you walk on campus...its not like the current roster even showed anyone that they deserve to start. You cannot go 1-11, suffer the most humiliating loss in modern college football history by quitting on the school on Homecoming against a FCS school, and expect to get to be given a starting job. The real world doesn't work like that--and every recruit, their parents and their coaches, should all hear that.

I kinda get what you are saying, but it's not a good sell to say every position is up for grabs cause we were super sorry.

Yes recruits want playing time and playing time early, but an ideal situation is that every spot is solid and you are the missing piece to success.  Saying the whole team is sorry with no pieces will run away most recruits that are used to winning and playing on loaded teams.

A better sell would be we were 1-11 due to youth and bad coaching.  We have a few pieces and i can fix what was broken.  Even the greatest recruit knows he can't win by himself.

• Upvote 1