MGB breaking news -- UNT lands high school QB

Brett Vito

On 1/26/2016 at 3:23 AM, bob said:

This kid is exceptionally fast, I've watched him play at Locust Grove twice the last two years, he can make any throw, has a very high football IQ. This kid reminded me of a young Mike Gundy, undersized, but a playmaker with  a huge heart, could be a star if given the right compliments in OL and skill position players. Check out Pirtle as well, that kid is the consummate possession receiver, he catches everything thrown his way. Fine wouldn't be where he is today, heading to NT, without Pirtle.

Lots of QB's wouldn't be where they are were it not for their "go to" guys. Just ask Trevon Boykin (Josh Doctson) and Johnny Football (#25). 

On 1/26/2016 at 6:29 AM, FirefightnRick said:

Welcome to the Mean Green Nation...Chief!

Rick

Is this young man Cherokee? If so, could we be looking at our very own Sonny Six Killer?.....http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/07/10/legendary-quarterback-sonny-sixkiller-redskins-name-racist-me-155765

2 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Recruiting QBs is different than recruiting DL or WRs. Size and speed are nice, but there are no measurables for QB that say a young man can compete at a certain level. I've seen plenty of small school guys become good college QBs. Fine is an FBS caliber QB otherwise he wouldnt have gotten an offer from UNT. 

I dont think anybody is pointing towards Fine being the answer. I think most fans are interested to follow his development. I dont think any of the QBs we had last year wouldve been able to put up the numbers Fine did when they were SRs in HS even at his level of play. 

After watching one undersized QB play here when we were his only offer I don't think the bolded part is an accurate statement...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Completely different generation of coach recruiting to a completely different offensive system.

Which has nothing to do with if a player comes here and we are their only FBS offer. Players with a single offer turn out to be great players at a very low rate...

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Lots of QB's wouldn't be where they are were it not for their "go to" guys. Just ask Trevon Boykin (Josh Doctson) and Johnny Football (#25)

Is this young man Cherokee? If so, could we be looking at our very own Sonny Six Killer?.....http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/07/10/legendary-quarterback-sonny-sixkiller-redskins-name-racist-me-155765

I guess Swope was pretty good... but I believe Mike Evans (#13) is the guy you're looking for?

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I guess Swope was pretty good... but I believe Mike Evans (#13) is the guy you're looking for?

I didn't watch too long. Swope was having a great game when I did.

11 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Which has nothing to do with if a player comes here and we are their only FBS offer. Players with a single offer turn out to be great players at a very low rate...

Do you have a link to that study?

3 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Nope. Didn't see it. Did he site a study?

We've had 8 all-conference players since we joined CUSA. 7 of them had 4 or more total FBS offers. The other was Brelan Chancellor who didn't have any. 1 who didn't have any other FBS offers against 7 who had various options.

Look at our class of 2012. 13 out of 22 high school signees didn't list any other offers. You can figure who those are and judge how that went. Carlos Harris wasn't listed on rivals, but he was one of those 13 and 22.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/northtexas-182

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We've had 8 all-conference players since we joined CUSA. 7 of them had 4 or more total FBS offers. The other was Brelan Chancellor who didn't have any. 1 who didn't have any other FBS offers against 7 who had various options.

Look at our class of 2012. 13 out of 22 high school signees didn't list any other offers. You can figure who those are and judge how that went. Carlos Harris wasn't listed on rivals, but he was one of those 13 and 22.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/northtexas-182

But...

Do you cite a study?...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Players don't do it on "auto pilot" after they arrive. Pure stats don't consider things like coaches losing interest and/or not being able to develop players....not to mention getting them in the right position to succeed. 

• Upvote 1