MGB breaking news -- UNT lands high school QB

Brett Vito

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Damn, NT showed Austin Peay.  I hope this turns out great, but this is another real stretch.  

Losing Johnson to Tulsa, is another sign that there may be real trouble in recruiting ahead. 

The problem is even when these projects pan out, which may happen here, it is usually the outlier. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

We've had a head coach for a very short time and staff not even fully put together yet here we are starting to bitch and moan and whine about the recruiting class.  Keep in mind also, unlike many other schools we were in a lame duck situation getting rid of the coach at mid season, so there was no one really pushing in recruiting during the early times. 

But again I guess I should always recall that this is the website where the wrinkled $100 bill is not wanted 

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, Big E said:

And other than Derek Thompson, our prototypical size QBs haven't worked out...at all.  Looks like the kid can flat play and is smart and of good character.  I'm willing to trust Coach Littrell on this one.  And being from Oklahoma, it wouldn't surprise me if Coach has even greater knowledge of this kid and a number of "eyes" that have been watching him play the past few years.

It could very well work out. My concern is I see 3 of our current commits at or around 5'9 with us being their only D1 offer. You can very well find under recruited guys who are just small but otherwise fantastic players. The problem is when this is a significant part of your roster. For every Lance Dunbar or Brelan Chancellor we have had 10X the amount of guys that size with no other offers who have not worked out, hence our past problems. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Fine didn't say scholarship, and still no tweet from the affiliated untgridiron Twitter page. Still not 100% sure we offered a scholarship yet.

20 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

It could very well work out. My concern is I see 3 of our current commits at or around 5'9 with us being their only D1 offer. You can very well find under recruited guys who are just small but otherwise fantastic players. The problem is when this is a significant part of your roster. For every Lance Dunbar or Brelan Chancellor we have had 10X the amount of guys that size with no other offers who have not worked out, hence our past problems. 

And Dunbar was highly recruited.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Fine didn't say scholarship, and still no tweet from the affiliated untgridiron Twitter page. Still not 100% sure we offered a scholarship yet.

And Dunbar was highly recruited.

True and wanted to stay close to family. We haven't gotten many lucky breaks like that so far it seems. Having read the article the Tulsa newspaper posted, I will say his numbers were extremely impressive. Keep in mind that McNulty was only slightly taller than him and had about 1/4 of the passing yards in high school he does. Can't get any worse.. I'd prefer one more QB recruit though. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

This kid can play.  All-state in OK and player if the year as a junior.  I get the size thing, but how big do you have to be to run a spread offense that often relies on quick short passes to guys who can eat up yards after the catch?  I am guessing that at 5' 11" he is still tall enough to find a downfield receiver and as a college freshman, I am guessing that this kid is not through growing.

Good get!  Needed a HS QB...looks like a quality get! 

I'm guessing you forget the injury problems that Rodge had at UNT.

Does anyone know for sure if this is a scholly offer of a preferred walk on? 

Hopefully Fine beats the odds. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

47 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We've had a head coach for a very short time and staff not even fully put together yet here we are starting to bitch and moan and whine about the recruiting class.  Keep in mind also, unlike many other schools we were in a lame duck situation getting rid of the coach at mid season, so there was no one really pushing in recruiting during the early times. 

But again I guess I should always recall that this is the website where the wrinkled $100 bill is not wanted 

I have already stated that Littrell will get a pass this recruiting season.  Although often used on this board, the $100 bill analogy makes absolutely no sense in this context.  A $100 bill is worth $100 wrinkled or not.  A recruit with no other offers may turn out to be great, but there are a lot of coaching staffs that are not predicting that outcome.      

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Damn, NT showed Austin Peay.  I hope this turns out great, but this is another real stretch.  

Losing Johnson to Tulsa, is another sign that there may be real trouble in recruiting ahead. 

I wouldn't  knock Austin Peay by the way. They are currently ahead of us in recruiting according to 24/7.  #SadButTrue 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 4