This loss wasn't on McNulty

Harry

McNulty didn't have his best game but he was not the reason we lost to Rice.  If you are saying otherwise you have an agenda.

I don't mean to undermine the actual point, because I agree that his performance wasn't even in the top 50 reasons you could point to that we lost.

But... I think that he actually DID have his best game, statistically speaking. 

Sadly, I thought McNulty played one of his best games.

Typical UNT:  Defense holds and we try to field a rolling punt with a defender within 2 yards of us.  Then...fumble inside the 10 yard line when we could have scored to take a 17-14 lead.  Then...allow Rice to drive the length of the field to kick a field goal on the last play of the half.  I'm as big of a McNulty hater as the next guy, but he didn't play a part in any of these scenarios.

• Upvote 1

Sadly, I thought McNulty played one of his best games.

Typical UNT:  Defense holds and we try to field a rolling punt with a defender within 2 yards of us.  Then...fumble inside the 10 yard line when we could have scored to take a 17-14 lead.  Then...allow Rice to drive the length of the field to kick a field goal on the last play of the half.  I'm as big of a McNulty hater as the next guy, but he didn't play a part in any of these scenarios.

His lack of timing, confidence, accuracy, arm strength and everything in between handcuffs anything that will be tried on offense. He is leaving a TON of yards on the field every drive bc of his lack of talent. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 4

I would assume the same, and it seems as though we're back to the "play better against better competition" standard, though the problem is, if we play better than before - but not better than THEM - it won't matter.  I thought he played pretty damned well, and was on fire a few times...and I also expected that this Rice team that was pretty close to putting away UT last week would have rolled us more along the lines of the 38-10 lead that they held for a bit.  I wish we were crushing teams like in 2013 (but with greater regularity), but if we see play like this the rest of the season, we may actually get to bowl eligibility and surprise a lot of people, myself included.  I just don't want to see them dip in efficacy against the teams that aren't as tough.  Win the remaining games that we really should win, and catch a surprise or two, and we can still #Hit6, unlikely though it may seem with an 0-2 start.