Baylor vs. SMU Game Thread - 6pm ESPN

Harry

I have to admit it's pretty impressive that Morris managed to field a team made up entirely of his 25 recruits. 

if you are just trying to win an arguement, you win...this is not a mac recruiting issue.

It's a playing young guys issue.  SMU is putting freshman WRs out there, freshman rbs, and they let matt davis take his lumps last year.  

Matt davis is not much different than last year, but he has more talent at the skill positions.  His ability to run is the biggest problem.  His throwing still is not impressive.  The coach has given davis the green light to run and use his athleticism.  

If you want to take a shot at mac, it needs to be playing older guys and not trusting his youth.  Picking test taking and off the field intangibles over athleticism.  

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I'm trying to find the positives like you guys with the first week bye but can't see it. If it was so advantageous due to the other team not having film on you why wouldn't other college teams do it? If it doesn't affect us this week we know it will as the season wears on. I think there is something to getting the first game jitters out. 

• Upvote 3

I'm trying to find the positives like you guys with the first week bye but can't see it. If it was so advantageous due to the other team not having film on you why wouldn't other college teams do it? If it doesn't affect us this week we know it will as the season wears on. I think there is something to getting the first game jitters out. 

Having a first week bye is terrible and was a total fuck-up by our AD.  I would love it if we started each season with an FCS team.  (Just not NDSU)  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

SMU passed for a total of 166 yards.  With 46 of it coming on SMU first play of game (31 on another).  They rushed for 203 yards, with 115 of that coming from the QB (on 24 rushes).  It was not exactly an offensive explosion from SMU.

Matt Davis (QB) line - Passing - 16/23 166 yds 2td 2int  (very McNulty like), Rushing - 24 for 115yds (not McNulty like). 

• Upvote 7

SMU passed for a total of 166 yards.  With 46 of it coming on SMU first play of game (31 on another).  They rushed for 203 yards, with 115 of that coming from the QB (on 24 rushes).  It was not exactly an offensive explosion from SMU.

Matt Davis (QB) line - Passing - 16/23 166 yds 2td 2int  (very McNulty like), Rushing - 24 for 115yds (not McNulty like). 

If only we had a coach that wasn't too stubborn to use a qb that could run for 100yds.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

if you are just trying to win an arguement, you win...this is not a mac recruiting issue.

It's a playing young guys issue.  SMU is putting freshman WRs out there, freshman rbs, and they let matt davis take his lumps last year.  

Matt davis is not much different than last year, but he has more talent at the skill positions.  His ability to run is the biggest problem.  His throwing still is not impressive.  The coach has given davis the green light to run and use his athleticism.  

If you want to take a shot at mac, it needs to be playing older guys and not trusting his youth.  Picking test taking and off the field intangibles over athleticism.  

Yet much better than our starter. 

Dear Lord, SMU got a first down.  How will we ever compete with them?  Between bashing McNulty, bashing Mac and bsshing RV, ghis place has become a total ass whipping.

Some people are capable of seeing progress, and some aren't I guess. Our offense couldn't move the ball against a meh Texas team. Smu, was able to move the ball vs a ranked team better than we have this decade. So yeah, we are going to notice that. 

Ultimately it was one half of one game. We will see on the field. But I think SMU showed more skill than most of us anticipated. We will all be there cheering on our team next week regardless. These are just observations of one game. 

• Upvote 1

Things to think about:

Baylor's WRs are typical Big12/SEC receivers: big, built dudes, who power through DBs.
We have a lot of very athletic, very acrobatic WRs in Carlos, Tee and Rutherford. (I base this on Carlos' style of play the last two seasons and the Carthage Boys' play their senior season in HS and their debut in this year's spring game). Baylor aired it out and relied on their WRs to get loose because of their strength. The Ponies DBs had a hard time containing them and I think they'll have trouble with our receivers as well, as long as we can get the friggin ball launched their way. 

Baylor QBs ran well when they had openings and Ponies d-line looked like they'd forgotten to cover the QB at times. Mini Mac has gotten better at reading openings and going for a keeper, but is still too slow to rely on this. But if the Pony D gets caught looking again next week that opens up tons of room for the QB to move and creates passing opportunities from open space. 

Baylor didn't use a hard-running, punch-you-in-the-face-and-call-yo-momma-a-bad-name RB attack so it remains to be seen what the Pony defense will do about The Jimmy Show and.

Green Brigade is gonna be there next weekend. Even if it's polos and chinos we still win that matchup. 

• Upvote 3

SMU had some nice athleticism out there.  They are fast.  Their dbs made some mistakes, but they are fast enough to keep up with our wrs.  Both teams threw it up, even if it was decent coverage.  They threw the ball expecting the wr to make plays or pull away at the end.  I will be shocked if mac allows this type of throw.  It's not considered "smart" football.  We don't /can't throw through tight windows.  Only if they are wide open or we are desperate.

Both Baylor and SMU also had young talent on the field.  I am sure those players have been working with the 1s from day one.  Probably named immediate starters. They made mistakes, but they weren't killed for it.  That is not macs style.  I am sure goree, rutherford, and Thompson has not had a lot of work with the 1s and we cannot expect a similar showing.  Throwing them in there this week at the last minute won't cut it either.  We may see them in a few packages though.

We are going to run. Our best shot at winning is getting after davis and containing him.  Stop his running, we win the game.  He has accuracy issues. If cosh comes with the lb covering wr ish we did last year, then we are in trouble. Even an average qb can take advantage of that match up.  We should expect to see a lot of marshall, fernandez, and whitfield.  And from the looks of it, they will get a lot of work.

• Upvote 1

Dear Lord, SMU got a first down.  How will we ever compete with them?  Between bashing McNulty, bashing Mac and bsshing RV, ghis place has become a total ass whipping.

maybe either one of the 3 should do something to shut us up?

Maybe Mac and Mini Mac will, but RV has proven time and again that he won't and never will.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3