If SMU is indeed our 6th home game in 2015...

Harry

Are we really dog-piling on one of our better alums (support wise, at the least that can't be argued) because he chooses to see the positives over the negatives? It's ridiculous to constantly b1tch about scheduling because it is clear that he's never going to please everyone. I think we should be playing the weakest schedule in the nation every single year until we are winning 7-8-9 games every year (ala Boise, TCU, Hawaii, and our own Johnny Jones BBall teams).

If you want to run off RV, you need to focus on the records of our 3 major sports teams. No need to dilute your argument with something as subjective as your satisfaction with our schedule. My $.02.

It's the big picture of everything involving UNT athletics, not just scheduling.

But scheduling is one area where we do have information. Some of that information directly from RV's mouth. Because RV was asked about scheduling by Harry on a podcast and someone blessed unknown sole at an athletic department event.

Probably because they read about the historical scheduling issues here. Probably because I have been screaming for at least the last 2 years that 2015 would be a 5 home game season.

And what does forcing RV to confront the issue do? It makes him address it on audio or video recording for the record. We can then go back and look at that record to see what he said and when he said it and even if it was the truth.

See how that works?

You know, 10-15 years ago there was always this sense of an athletic department plan, a blueprint for success. That plan was simple, and there was clear and concise documentation to support it: build a new state of the art football stadium, build a Mean Green Village, etc. Then, leverage these vast facility upgrades to positively position North Texas before the next round of conference realignment. Our athletic department, by all accounts, worked tirelessly on this goal and never deviated from the master plan. They were so committed to this vision that they held our football and basketball coaches to impressively high standards and would not tolerate on-field performances that were either stagnating or indicative of a potential decline. The emphasis, in these sports, was on momentum and progress in order to correspond with the thrust of the capital campaigns. Any coach who visibly deviated from this plan was held accountable in the most stringent ways. Dickey, after winning an almost unheard of 26 consecutive conference games and coach of the year honors four years in a row, was fired after posting a season and a half of bad football and even worse PR. Two years later, the winningest women's basketball coach in North Texas history, Tina Slinker, was let go after a mediocre stint of 23-28 in her final two seasons. Her multiple NIT appearances a few years earlier were not enough. Even Johnny Jones, who eventually transformed North Texas into a perennial NCAA tournament contender, nearly lost his job early on in his tenure with the school after failing to sustain, briefly, his immediate success.

We didn't all agree with the decisions in the mid-2000s concerning coaches, but the Athletic Department's commitment to winning and adhering to the plan was undeniable. And, after some time the plan succeeded, and we almost universally praised the diligence of the Athletic Department to find a way to get it done.

Now, during the 2014-2015 academic year, I'm having trouble recognizing a plan. Are we simply paying off debts incurred because of Apogee and generally too broke to accomplish much else? Have we redefined the measures of success in football and basketball now that we're in a new conference? Are our football scheduling issues due to a failure on the part of the Athletic Department, or is there an unseen plan at work?

I could accept a season or two of losing (and at this point I still fully support McCarney) if only I felt that there were some sense of a vision from the Athletic Department regarding where we want to be in a few years and how we plan to aggressively pursue that.

Edited by Greendylan
  • Upvote 4

I could accept a season or two of losing (and at this point I still fully support McCarney) if only I felt that there were some sense of a vision from the Athletic Department regarding where we want to be in a few years and how we plan to aggressively pursue that.

We're like the dog who finally caught the car - we don't know what to do with the stuff we worked so hard to attain.

No on one and done. There are two basic types of donations here. You can help fund capital projects, ie football stadiums, baseball stadiums basically anything facility related. The second type is an annual contribution to student athlete scholarships, ie mean green club. After our capital contribution to the stadium, we have done both. I still get no better feeling than sitting in the stadium before a game, looking over the back of the visitors side, and seeing the tailgating going on by students up on the hill. (after cooking for six hours myself and feeding roughly 200 people per game) I also never feel worse than after a loss.

To answer the question above. North Texas does a lot wrong. We have a flawed system that appoints our ultimate leaders. We have some great regents that care a lot about this place, but some I question their dedication to make the hard decisions. Our development department is out there listing in the wind, waiting for some direction. Our football team won 4 games this year, that is not what expectations are.

But this is our place. Your place. It needs to be lifted up. We need more fans. We can't get more fans by only public bashing of everything that goes on here. Excuse me for being positive guy. I will continue to find positives in everything that we do. I will continue to try to get new people involved and to events. And.......the above will be about the most negative thing you will see me say on an internet board, even though there has been some screaming, yelling and dog cussing going on in suite 13 and at my home address.

Go Mean Green

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 7

No on one and done. There are two basic types of donations here. You can help fund capital projects, ie football stadiums, baseball stadiums basically anything facility related. The second type is an annual contribution to student athlete scholarships, ie mean green club. After our capital contribution to the stadium, we have done both. I still get no better feeling than sitting in the stadium before a game, looking over the back of the visitors side, and seeing the tailgating going on by students up on the hill. (after cooking for six hours myself and feeding roughly 200 people per game) I also never feel worse than after a loss.

To answer the question above. North Texas does a lot wrong. We have a flawed system that appoints our ultimate leaders. We have some great regents that care a lot about this place, but some I question there dedication to make the hard decisions. Our development department is out there listing in the wind, waiting for some direction. Our football team won 4 games this year, that is not what expectations are.

But this is our place. Your place. It needs to be lifted up. We need more fans. We can't get more fans by only public bashing of everything that goes on here. Excuse me for being positive guy. I will continue to find positives in everything that we do. I will continue to try to get new people involved and to events. And.......the above will be about the most negative thing you will see me say on an internet board, even though there has been some screaming, yelling and dog cussing going on in suite 13 and at my home address.

Go Mean Green

That might have been your best post ever.
  • Upvote 1

North Texas does a lot wrong. We have a flawed system that appoints our ultimate leaders. We have some great regents that care a lot about this place, but some I question there dedication to make the hard decisions. Our development department is out there listing in the wind, waiting for some direction.

How do we get that changed?

Pressure needs to be applied to get those who can make the hard decisions to make them, be it a private campaign or a public one. This is where a strong Independant alumni association would help?

I don't have the answer to any of it. I just know giving time and money, glad-handing, seal-clapping and ass kissing by our supporters isn't getting it done.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

To answer the question above. North Texas does a lot wrong. We have a flawed system that appoints our ultimate leaders. We have some great regents that care a lot about this place, but some I question there dedication to make the hard decisions. Our development department is out there listing in the wind, waiting for some direction. Our football team won 4 games this year, that is not what expectations are.

Go Mean Green

The-Rock-Clapping-Reaction-Gif.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Go Mean Green

Very well written and carefully thought out.

• Upvote 1

To answer the question above. North Texas does a lot wrong. We have a flawed system that appoints our ultimate leaders. We have some great regents that care a lot about this place, but some I question their dedication to make the hard decisions. Our development department is out there listing in the wind, waiting for some direction. Our football team won 4 games this year, that is not what expectations are.

Go Mean Green

This is a really refreshing post, which is much needed after a rough couple weeks around these parts.

"I don't have the answer to any of it. I just know giving time and money, glad-handing, seal-clapping and ass kissing by our supporters isn't getting it done."

Constant ranting on an internet board hasn't provided many positive tangible results either. Perhaps collectively this board can go discuss it with President Neal Smatresk.

I understand his door is open.

GMG

• Upvote 1

"I don't have the answer to any of it. I just know giving time and money, glad-handing, seal-clapping and ass kissing by our supporters isn't getting it done."

Constant ranting on an internet board hasn't provided many positive tangible results either. Perhaps collectively this board can go discuss it with President Neal Smatresk.

GMG

You don't understand much then if that's what you believe? But, set it up if you think you can? I'm sure there would be a line at the door.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

GMG

Having a meeting with Dr. S is one thing.

Having him care about what you have to say is another. He will hear people like Fly because of his donation level. He will not hear someone donating $250 or $500 a year to the Mean Green club.

And that is the way it should be. I'm sure Fly has many a frustration, just like the rest of us, but he has no need to vent it publicly because he has access to people that, in theory, can do something about it.

Maybe he will even tell those people that a growing percentage of the most ardent fans of the program are losing interest...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

To me, the questions have to be geared at Lee Jackson and the BOR. If they only give you lip-service and a head nod, then you know your answer to this. Smaestrek, just like his predecssors, are quite easily replaced. If Smaestrek was Chancellor, then by all means, get him here to talk about this. Otherwise, its just wasting time and energy.

Here's the crazy thing--the BOR is gonna get their wish when it comes to athletics. We aren't going to be in the P5, we will get dropped back to the equivalent of the old i-aa, and you won't have to worry about increasing any fees to cover athletics beyond the time the facility gets paid for. When that happens, cost containment will be the best friend to a G5 program. Regional conferences with more recognizable foes will have to happen, no more how much some G5 schools dislike their neighbors and have never wanted to be associated with them in a conference.

In the end, there probably wasn't anything we could have done to reasonably change our program to a P5 team. Our geography killed us in the conference alignment game, due to SMU and TCU being just down the road and getting the rest of the media's coverage that the P5 giants didn't already consume. Our stadium killed us at the time because it was such a dump, a place that just showed how little we cared about football here. And, of course, the historic apathy that has shown up at our home games over the years, which told other people in other conferences that we brought nothing to the table. But as we move forward, there's no reason we cannot be a great G5 program, if we decide we want to make that a priority. If not, its not hard to imagine football eventually dying off here, granted that shouldn't be anytime soon. But Apogee holding graduations now can be sold to those who disdain UNT athletics as us needing to build a facility to house these graduations and still be a place to hold HS sports and activities for prospective students to come to Denton, that this was the main reason they allowed Apogee to get built, but also why their hero, Lee Jackson, saved the day to sunset that athletic fee and keep it lower than the state allows.

I think SMU should just drop the game with NTx. They don't care about NT and have their sights set somewhere else.

Please drop us, then...being stuck for 7 more years of playing a team on par with Nicholls State is bad for our SoS. Put the $$$ you have to good use, pal.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

SMU had a bad year. UNT has had 100 of those. And why do you care for your SoS? Are you really that desperate for another toilet bowl in the cotton bowl? See ya later, maybe we will let you have our spot in the AAC once we move up to another conference.

gtfo douche bag. We are going to take over your shitty stadium next season and take your women with us on our way out. Y'all are garbage.

I can't believe the negative nancies actually defended UNT against a Pony fan.

Seriously did not expect that, but well done gentlemen.

GMG

P.S. - and we will take over Ford in Green. It is going to be a beautiful sight. GMG

• Upvote 1

Now now fellas. Let's be nice to the pony. He's only over here because phonyfans, much like Ford stadium, is so sparsely populated. He's lonely and needs people to talk to.

Before our game with them, I actually went over to that site a few times. A thread stayed on the front page of their football forum for a week and a half. During football season. With no additional posts.

I know we basically have the same 40 guys/gals posting on our site all the time, but they have the same 4 or 5.

I was really surprised by that.

Edited by UNT90