McCarney’s candid remarks about the situation at UNT

Harry

This is McCarney's fourth season. I could see the argument for patience if it was his first or second year but it's not. This is his team, his players, his coaches, his scheme. Yes we lost a lot from last year but this should be the year his recruits from the first two recruiting classes fill major roles. It hasn't happened. This is all on McCarney. Now he's throwing out the it's hard to recruit here excuse. If that's the case, then he needs to take a cue from June Jones down at SMU and retire when the season is over.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I posted last week that there could be a point at which McCarney just says, "F*ck it. I gave it my best; but, this place and these people are impossible. I can make almost as much scratch as a DL coach at a bigger place and get much less crap for my effort."

I called long and loud for an experienced coach, and we got one. And, he led us to a bowl game. And, yet...

...the better recruits didn't seem to notice

...the city and county of Denton didn't seem to notice

...the perpetually apathetic alumni didn't seem to notice.

You can't say the man hasn't busted his ass for this place. He has. He's busted his ass more so, I'd stake, than Dickey and Dodge combined.

At some point, the closing years of his career staring him in the face, Dan McCarney will have to gauge whether this place is worth the long term effort...because, that seems to be what it will take here.

Man, I think this is the best post I've ever read on this website. Bravo, TFLF!!

Coach Mac is being candid and it hurts the feelings of many fans who are pissed that we are not very good--again. I don't blame folks for feeling mad--the truth often does that to people when we don't want to hear it. Mac really is Darrell Dickey with PR skills. HIs gameplan is about as simple as you can make it--it is completely counter to what almost everyone else in college football runs. Its like the triple option at Georgia Tech or Navy. Basically, Stanford and Arkansas are amongst the only schools who still run it up the gut on almost every down and then hit you hard on defense. Old people love this football--and I am old so I can say this. But what kind of Texas HS recruit, who plays offense in the Spread in 99% of all high schools in this state, wants to go play in a throwback (to the 70s) offense?

Then ask yourself why didn't we even come close to selling out the SMU home opener? I mean we FINALLY got the team that everyone around here just absolutely loathes and wants to beat badly to come here and play--and we get an announced crowd of about 23k, which was really about 20k. We have 36k students, live in a town with 100k+ people, a county with half a million people, and an alumni base of well over 100k within an hour of this place, all following a bowl winning season and with dreaded SMU in town--and cannot even come close to surpassing the top crowd the place has ever hosted. If I were in his shoes, I'd get "candid" a helluva lot more often than he has. Basically, and this should scare the crap out of everyone that somehow still follows UNT Football after everything this school has tried to do to keep you from following it, this place is making a guy like Dan McCarney, who has the generally shown nothing but the most positive attitude about this place and his job, turn into Darrel freaking Dickey...

Brett Vito once said to me, if a guy like McCarney cannot turn it around here with all of the advantages that he has over his predecessors and with all of his experience at big time places, the university is really going to have to ask themselves if this is what they want to keep doing. This is from the beat reporter for the program, the one who talks to coaches, administrators, and local citizens about UNT sports. Not to put words in his mouth, but it seems to me that he is just repeating what he has heard from those he has talked to about the program and the amount of money it is taking to fund this thing. You have to remember that a lot of people associated with UNT or who live in Denton are still not happy about Apogee at all. They think it was unnecessary and hurts the funding for the rest of the school. I, and most here on this site, think this mindset is 100% is wrong, but that thinking has always been here and is still here. That mindset about football at UNT isn't just kept in Denton, folks. It is well-known throughout the Metroplex, from media members to Texas HS football coaches to just normal football fans. To me, that is what is causing Coach Mac to lose his positivity--he cannot figure out how a seemingly perfect setup in THE hotbed of hs football in the country still doesn't resonate with 99% of the people that surround the area. I'm sure he feels like there isn't anything else he can do at this point other than just keep coaching until he either can't (health-wise) or they tell him to leave (which won't be until he has one year left on his contract). I'll say this--what happens AFTER McCarney eventually leaves, retires, or gets fired will tell you all you need to know about how much the university is on board with the football program. If its back to hiring some cheap, no-name assistant who has never been a head coach or even worse, we got back to hiring our third High School coach to take over the reigns of the team, that will be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of the fans who are somehow still here after all these years of mostly futility.

• Upvote 1

I'll say this in following untjim1995, who often makes the best points of all: Yes.

If Dan McCarney cannot make this a winning program, then what? We've tried just about everything you can. High school coaches twice.

Dan McCarney: FBS school position coach (Florida), head coach of a D I-A (Iowa State)

Todd Dodge: high school coach

Darrell Dickey: offensive coordinator of a D I-A mid-major (SMU)

Matt Simon: offensive coordinator of a D I-A mid-major (New Mexico)

Dennis Parker: high school coach

Corky Nelson: defensive coordinator of a D I-A (Baylor)

Bob Tyler: pro football scout (Dallas Cowboys), former head coach of a D I-A (Mississippi State)

Jerry Moore: offensive coordinator of a D I-A (Nebraska)

Hayden Fry: head coach of a D I-A (SMU)

Rod Rust: defensive coordinator of a D I-A (Stanford)

Odus Mitchell: high school coach

What have we not tried? We've had former head coaches. We've had high school coaches. We've had offensive coordinators from mid-majors and majors, and defensive coordinators from mid-majors and majors.

We've had coaches with and without Texas ties. Experienced in the Midwest, Texas, the Southeast, the West, and the Mountain time zone even. Dare I say, we go way out on a limb after McCarney leaves and hire a yankee position coach?

We also haven't tapped any coach from whatever division has been lower than us...collegiate. I know we've dipped into high schools. I mean, when we were I-A, hiring a I-AA. When we were I-AA, hiring a D II.

It seems like the only thing we haven't tried:

-A position coach

-From an Eastern seaboard or yankee state

-Or, a head coach, coordinator, or position coach from an FCS anywhere.

So, if McCarney leaves or is fired, just to be different, I say make a hire from the staff of an ACC school. Or, hire an FCS coach whose star is rising.

Give me a damn break. This is going to take time. Boise St (referenced earlier in the thread) didn't jump into FBS and immediately sell their stadium out. We were beating them---and beating the coach that really turned their program. It took time. It took an infusion of money (the bowl game in their home stadium). It took scheduling patsies (not just one a year, but MULTIPLE PATSIES EVERY EFFING YEAR).

McCarney doesn't sound like he's giving up. He's saying it's taking time. Let the man do his job and step back from the cliff. His first two recruiting classes were largely full of either busts (all the DBs that have since left the program) or marginal FBS guys. We are seeing them now. Last year's class was better---and that class was being recruited right in the middle of our big turnaround year.

Also, the Dickey to DMac comparisons are WAY overblown. Esp. comparing these quotes with the infamous "this is the hardest place to work in America" quote. The difference is in the delivery, and the timing. DMac IS CURRENTLY turning it around, getting better recruits each year. Dickey was making all the woe is me speeches once the recruiting had dried up and he couldn't replace good coaches.

I do think some changes are probably coming this offseason, but in the last two classes we've brought in Dajon Williams and Connor Means to play QB. Both are getting pretty high praise for raising the level of ability at the QB spot. The problem is that we didn't land anyone in those first two classes that could fill in while these guys learn. To me, that's what he's getting at. He sucked at recruiting those first two years in general---but the staff REALLY sucked at recruiting a QB who could step in immediately after DT left without having to turn to underclassmen.

• Upvote 4

I'll say this in following untjim1995, who often makes the best points of all: Yes.

If Dan McCarney cannot make this a winning program, then what? We've tried just about everything you can. High school coaches twice.

Dan McCarney: FBS school position coach (Florida), head coach of a D I-A (Iowa State)

Bob Tyler: pro football scout (Dallas Cowboys), former head coach of a D I-A (Mississippi State)

What have we not tried? We've had former head coaches. We've had high school coaches. We've had offensive coordinators from mid-majors and majors, and defensive coordinators from mid-majors and majors.

We've had coaches with and without Texas ties. Experienced in the Midwest, Texas, the Southeast, the West, and the Mountain time zone even. Dare I say, we go way out on a limb after McCarney leaves and hire a yankee position coach?

We also haven't tapped any coach from whatever division has been lower than us...collegiate. I know we've dipped into high schools. I mean, when we were I-A, hiring a I-AA. When we were I-AA, hiring a D II.

-A position coach

So, if McCarney leaves or is fired, just to be different, I say make a hire from the staff of an ACC school. Or, hire an FCS coach whose star is rising. co

It isn't the coach so much as it is the people doing the hiring.

This is an old conversation, but when Hayden Fry left he recommended Bill Brasher to replace him. I don't know how well he would have done as a head coach, but he was well liked by his players (defensive) and well respected by his peers. He got treated shabbily by the administration (because they were the minions of Matthews and hated Fry) and went with Fry. He would have supplied consistency with the players and the program and HE COULDN'T HAVE POSSIBLY HAVE DONE WORSE THAN FRIGGIN BOB TYLER.

Corkey Nelson was a good hire. He just wasn't given any resources to work with. His record is absolutely amazing considering what he had to work with.

We've had some of the most god awful hiring decisions by our administrators that I have ever observed.....anywhere.

BTW Odus Mitchell wasn't a bad High School coach that we hired.

• Upvote 1

What we haven't tried or at least I haven't seen the existence of is quality marketing.

I would like to see a young coach here. A coach that can relate to players. A coach that can go into the homes of recruits and look a player in his eyes and talk with him with the understanding of what is and what isn't. A coach that puts having fun on the priority list.

I would also like to see the administration show legitimate support. They can start by raising the athletic fee. Mac is a quality guy and if he stays here for the long haul then so be it. I hope he brings success to this program, but he has to start winning and it has to start this week.

**I have said it once before on here, but Rhett Lashlee is going to be a star head coach one day. If he hasn't found a home by the time Mac retires or is let go he would be a steal of a head coach. With that said, I am still behind Mac even with the criticism I have dropped, but I am done with Canales. GMG

• Upvote 3

they whipped us like Adrian Peterson in a pecan tree grove.

Am I evil for laughing at that?

Give me a damn break. This is going to take time. Boise St (referenced earlier in the thread) didn't jump into FBS and immediately sell their stadium out. We were beating them---and beating the coach that really turned their program. It took time. It took an infusion of money (the bowl game in their home stadium).

This might be an interesting idea. We have a small stadium but what if we could get a bowl game in Denton? Pretty decent location just north of DFW, nice stadium but limited seating so maybe charge a bitty bit more for tickets and/or not have gigantic-draw-type teams like UT or Michigan so not too terribly many people are turned away? I'm sure it would be a better draw than freaking Idaho in the middle of winter...umm...I hope.

• Upvote 1

-A position coach

So, if McCarney leaves or is fired, just to be different, I say make a hire from the staff of an ACC school. Or, hire an FCS coach whose star is rising.

Maybe you change the person who does the hiring?

I hear both you and Jim talking a lot about responsibilities of the Athletic Director without ever saying he should be held accountable

He should be, but apparently we care so little about athletics that a guy who has produced very, very, very few winners, has made terrible coaching hires, and hasn't marketed the product worth a damn isn't held accountable and will retire from UNT whenever the hell he decides he wants to go.

What does that say about the will of the UNT administration to excell in athletics?

A lot.

We are still just stickig a toe in when it comes to system wide commitment to athletics at UNT. That's why Benford is still here 2 years after he should have been fired. That's why Dodge was allowed to return for a 4th season when it was painfully obvious he was overmatched. That's why RV is going on year 15 despite terrible coaching hires and not being able to sell the program to alumni.

As long as the UNT administration chooses to make this our destiny, it will be our destiny.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

What we haven't tried or at least I haven't seen the existence of is quality marketing.

I would like to see a young coach here. A coach that can relate to players. A coach that can go into the homes of recruits and look a player in his eyes and talk with him with the understanding of what is and what isn't. A coach that puts having fun on the priority list.

I would also like to see the administration show legitimate support. They can start by raising the athletic fee. Mac is a quality guy and if he stays here for the long haul then so be it. I hope he brings success to this program, but he has to start winning and it has to start this week.

**I have said it once before on here, but Rhett Lashlee is going to be a star head coach one day. If he hasn't found a home by the time Mac retires or is let go he would be a steal of a head coach. With that said, I am still behind Mac even with the criticism I have dropped, but I am done with Canales. GMG

Coach Bro?

I think Canales has taken UNT as far as he can. I don't think he can go any further with this group, and is too blinkered and constrained that he can't build a game around our players strengths then make the adjustments necessary throughout a game. Too many times he puts our QB in bad positions then we wonder why things go to south quickly?

Outside of DT, no QB has even had a modicum of sustained success since Canales got here. Time to let him go and get another guy in who could perhaps relate to the players better, can actually develop QBs, and call a decent game.

Maybe you change the person who does the hiring?

I hear both you and Jim talking a lot about responsibilities of the Athletic Director without ever saying he should be held accountable

He should be, but apparently we care so little about athletics that a guy who has produced very, very, very few winners, has made terrible coaching hires, and hasn't marketed the product worth a damn isn't held accountable and will retire from UNT whenever the hell he decides he wants to go.

What does that say about the will of the UNT administration to excell in athletics?

A lot.

We are still just stickig a toe in when it comes to system wide commitment to athletics at UNT. That's why Benford is still here 2 years after he should have been fired. That's why Dodge was allowed to return for a 4th season when it was painfully obvious he was overmatched. That's why RV is going on year 15 despite terrible coaching hires and not being able to sell the program to alumni.

As long as the UNT administration chooses to make this our destiny, it will be our destiny.

I'm right there with you UNT90--accountability has to be there for WINNING, not for cost maintenance or budget lowering. Right now, its hard to argue the fact that RV gets rewarded here for doing what the BOR wants him to do, not because of his choice of coaching hires and winning. RV has on his UNT resume, the success of the last 5 years of Johnny Jones, whom he hired, the HoD Bowl win under Coach Mac, whom he hired, and the SBC Championships under Dickey, whom he extended. But he also has Todd Dodge's tenure to fully own as his own, as well as Tony Benford's embarrassment so far. In your two money sports, at a place that is dirt poor supposedly, none of the three football coaches he has watched over have a winning record. And now his basketball coach he hired to take over for the most successful coach the school has had in decades has almost instantly napalmed the program.

But he doesn't fight publicly for an increased fee for athletics and he accepts athletic budget cuts very easily, without public complaint. And he opened up tailgating!!

the SBC Championships under Dickey, whom he extended.

That is no way was his choice. He wanted to fire him, but Dickey had the miraculous turn around in 2001 and then he was unable to.

If you want to see how much RV wanted him around, look at how quickly Dickey was fired when things went bad, he had 1.5 losing seasons and he was fired.

One and a half losing years! After 4 bowl games!

Meanwhile Dodge, Beneford, etc get long leashes.

• Upvote 1

Once you started to lose you would probably keep losing, because one of the effects of Janx spirit is to depress telepsychic power. As soon as a predetermined quantity had been consumed, the final loser would have to perform a forfeit, which was usually obscenely biological.

• Upvote 1

That is no way was his choice. He wanted to fire him, but Dickey had the miraculous turn around in 2001 and then he was unable to.

If you want to see how much RV wanted him around, look at how quickly Dickey was fired when things went bad, he had 1.5 losing seasons and he was fired.

Don't forget the dead QB, the academically ineligible QB, and the injured freshman QB that largely caused the first season collapse, and the heart attack (fired 4 weeks later!) during the other losing half-season!

I just think McCarney was being honest and that he is frustrated as hell. I don't think McCarney is one to make excuses. If he's not getting the job done, he'd be the first to admit it. The season is far from over and there a many winnable games left on the slate. The key factor that I want to see from this team and from this staff is, how do we finish? Do we continue to improve or do we digress? I want to see some grit and fight from these kids and I expect nothing less from a McCarney coached team. Oh, how the tide has turned so quickly among the Mean Green faithful. Let's all keep calm and see how the rest of the year turns out.

• Upvote 1

We WILL win again. Mac is a very good coach and seasoned at all levels of the game. He should be pissed off, he should be frustrated, if he weren't I would want a replacement. Mac knows what needs to be done and we as fans need to be 100% behind him. Losing a game or a battle should make us tougher and smarter, not turn us into cry babies UNT is on the rise, it will take some hits, but it will continue to rise.

• Upvote 1

We WILL win again. Mac is a very good coach and seasoned at all levels of the game. He should be pissed off, he should be frustrated, if he weren't I would want a replacement. Mac knows what needs to be done and we as fans need to be 100% behind him. Losing a game or a battle should make us tougher and smarter, not turn us into cry babies UNT is on the rise, it will take some hits, but it will continue to rise.

I know most of those who post on this board will agree with you. I don't. I don't think Mac is a very good coach. I also know that there are many out there that feel the same way but are too intimidated to speak out here on this forum or anywhere for that matter for fear of being labled trouble makers, haters, unloyal (etc.) by those here and by the "good ole boy club" within the Athletic Department.

Let me be clear about one thing. I like everyone else want nothing more than to see Mac succeed big time. Remember, its my Alma Mater as well. Over the last 44 years I have seen a lot of coaches and AD's come and go. I heard every speech that can ever be made. I've heard and seen it all over those years, the good, what little there was, and the bad.

But people we are already 4 years into this coaching hire and there are cracks starting to show. Many questioned this hire from the beginning because of his overall losing record. This should be his break out year but we have witnessed four blow out loses. Please don't be so gullible as to fall prey to those who are selling you something else. Think for yourself. Use your degree for goodness sake.

Mocking your players in public is a sign of weakness. Complaining in public about how difficult it is to recruit to UNT is a sign of weakness and will only hurt future recruiting efforts. Good coaches don't complain in public because they know doing so will be perceived for what it really is.....making excuses. Good coaches don't make excuses, they win.

Again, I so hope Mac turns it around the rest of this season because If he succeeds then we all succeed. But he has dug a deep hole for himself.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know most of those who post on this board will agree with you. I don't. I don't think Mac is a very good coach. I also know that there are many out there that feel the same way but are too intimidated to speak out here on this forum or anywhere for that matter for fear of being labled trouble makers, haters, unloyal (etc.) by those here and by the "good ole boy club" within the Athletic Department.

Let me be clear about one thing. I like everyone else want nothing more than to see Mac succeed big time. Remember Its my Alma Mater as well. Over the last 44 years I have seen a lot of coaches and AD's come and go. I heard every speech that can ever be made. I've heard and seen it all over those years, the good, what little there was, and the bad.

But people we are already 4 years into this coaching hire and there are cracks starting to show. Many questioned this hire from the beginning because of his overall losing record. This should be his break out year but we have witnessed four blow out loses. Please don't be so gullible as to fall prey to those who are selling you something else. Think for yourself. Use your degree for goodness sake.

Mocking your players in public is a sign of weakness. Complaining in public about how difficult it is to recruit to UNT is a sign of weakness and will only hurt future recruiting efforts. Good coaches don't complain in public because they know doing so will be perceived for what it really is.....making excuses. Good coaches don't make excuses, they win.

Again, I so hope Mac turns it around the rest of this season because If he succeeds than we all succeed. But he has dug a deep hole for himself.

Well said and I agree with every bit of it.
  • Upvote 1

Let me be clear about one thing. I like everyone else want nothing more than to see Mac succeed big time. Remember Its my Alma Mater as well. Over the last 44 years I have seen a lot of coaches and AD's come and go. I heard every speech that can ever be made. I've heard and seen it all over those years, the good, what little there was, and the bad.

Again, I so hope Mac turns it around the rest of this season because If he succeeds than we all succeed. But he has dug a deep hole for himself.

Why are you so negative all the time...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Let me be clear about one thing. I like everyone else want nothing more than to see Mac succeed big time. Remember, its my Alma Mater as well. Over the last 44 years I have seen a lot of coaches and AD's come and go. I heard every speech that can ever be made. I've heard and seen it all over those years, the good, what little there was, and the bad.

Again, I so hope Mac turns it around the rest of this season because If he succeeds then we all succeed. But he has dug a deep hole for himself.

MEANGREENBOB: We disagree on the coaching quality but we don't disagree on the fact that there has been, so far, a collapse from 2013 to 2014. Why I don't know. Exactly what is your recommendation for a SOLUTION ? I'm an old Odus Mitchell watcher, lots of season tickets as well. My thought is to go and have a "sit down" with RV, et.al., and express my constant support while looking to insure that I see in front of me people who are VERY ON-BOARD AND COMMITTED to elevating the program. My little "tweets" are not going to get that done, so my contribution is to walk into the devil's den and have a "business" discussion. I still like Mac by the way and think he will win for us, my opinion. I think that's what most of us want. Edited by cogido
  • Upvote 2