McCarney’s candid remarks about the situation at UNT

Harry

When did we hear from both The Buick and Coach Mac that UNT was a hard place to recruit? When both were having down seasons. Notice how hey never say this when they are winning?

Dickey bitched about EVERYTHING and he did it ALL THE TIME. He sure as hell complained about the budget not allowing him to keep his best recruiters, and he sure as hell bitched about not having as much travel money as other SBC coaches, even during the winning years.

However, people didn't want to hear it. They did ignore it while he won, but as soon as he lost it became offensive.

Now coach mac didn't complain before, but then again he always had a better sense of glad handling that Dickey did.

Good grief people. Can't any of you recognize the root of the problem? RV has to be sitting somewhere laughing in total disbelief and amazement as his Head Coach gets attacked left and right.

How RV has been able to fly under the radar these last ten years is simply amazing and it doesn't really speak highly of the UNT faithful who proudly display their business degrees, does it?

Poor hiring decisions, lack of marketing knowledge and business skills has not only stunted the growth of UNT Athletics but has allowed Texas State and UTSA to pass us by.

Mac needs to be under fire for sure but the man who extended his contract with a hefty pay raise needs to resign.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

How RV has been able to fly under the radar these last ten years is simply amazing and it doesn't really speak highly of the UNT faithful who proudly display their business degrees, does it?

Poor hiring decisions, lack of marketing knowledge and business skills has stunted the growth of UNT Athletics .

This I agree with.

Id also throw in terrible negotiating skills when it comes to football scheduling.

The problem is, if RV does get the ax, who replaces him? The problems go much higher and run far deeper than either RV or any coach.

Losing is accepted, as long as its done at the right price. That is the problem, and always has been.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

The extension of the contract was what it was, premature. Yes, RV made the hire and the extension, but RV is not coaching this team or recruiting players to come play for this team. The basketball issue is a complete RV issue and if nothing else has poked holes in RV's resume at North Texas it has been the hiring and handling of Benford. But with that said, we can win at North Texas. We have to take a different approach in recruiting and if I were Mac and Co I would try and use the rest of our scholarships (4 or 5?) on JUCO players that can step in right now and produce. Would not use another scholly this class on a high school recruit. Winning is a must and we have a couple serious issues at detrimental positions.

How would we, as a group, go about putting pressure on the Prez and BOR to make a change at AD? Would the only way to get him out is his resignation?

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Downvote 2

Good grief people. Can't any of you recognize the root of the problem? RV has to be sitting somewhere laughing in total disbelief and amazement as his Head Coach gets attacked left and right.

Poor hiring decisions, lack of marketing knowledge and business skills has not only stunted the growth of UNT Athletics but has allowed Texas State and UTSA to pass us by.

Mac needs to be under fire for sure but the man who extended his contract with a hefty pay raise needs to resign.

I have mentioned this numerous times and I get the same retarded crap, "but he's better than Helwig". Our own alumni have the lowest standards and expectations and are a huge part of the problem.

I'm sorry, but I just don't like hearing that. Take a look at Western Michigan's 2014 signees and 2015 commits. Western Michigan! It's cold up there, but they still convinced Javonte Seabury to say "no thanks national champs FSU" and "no thanks 'The U.'" I'm leaving the sunshine state and taking my talents to Kalamazoo!

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Javonte-Seabury-32993/RecruitInterests

Here's the rest of their 2014 and 2015 classes. Take a look at some of these kids' offer lists.

http://westernmichigan.247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Commits

http://westernmichigan.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

And I've watched them play some this year. They have a much improved football team, especially from a talent aspect and those young guys are already contributing. They were 1-11 last year, but they already have 3 wins this year. Their true freshman running back already has rushed for over 800 yards and 15 scores. They have a young coach who is selling the heck out of that program, and those kids are buying it. He's had some rough moments learning as a coach, but he's getting talented kids and getting them to believe in that program. Good recruiters can get kids to go anywhere. I'm not saying we need to start getting recruiting classes as good as Western Michigan, but they aren't making excuses and look what it's getting them.

Western Michigan is really becoming one of my favorite teams to keep my eye on in all of College Football. They went 1-11 last year, signed an outstanding recruiting class despite it, and they're now 4-3 after knocking off the defending conference champs and previously unbeaten in conference Bowling Green on the road. And they're playing a lot of young guys, including true freshman RB Jarvion Franklin who had a 149 yard rushing performance and their true sophomore leading receiver who PJ Fleck signed shortly after taking the job.

Fleck has gone in there and busted his butt in recruiting, and it's really paying off. Western Michigan is not an easy place to recruit to, but he's made it happen because he's a damn good recruiter and starting to look like a good coach. And they have the number 1 recruiting class in their conference for the second year in a row.

Edited by BillySee58

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but I just don't like hearing that. Take a look at Western Michigan's 2014 signees and 2015 commits. Western Michigan! It's cold up there, but they still convinced Javonte Seabury to say "no thanks national champs FSU" and "no thanks 'The U.'" I'm leaving the sunshine state and taking my talents to Kalamazoo!

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Javonte-Seabury-32993/RecruitInterests

Here's the rest of their 2014 and 2015 classes. Take a look at some of these kids' offer lists.

http://westernmichigan.247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Commits

http://westernmichigan.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

And I've watched them play some this year. They have a much improved football team, especially from a talent aspect and those young guys are already contributing. They were 1-11 last year, but they already have 3 wins this year. Their true freshman running back already has rushed for over 800 yards and 15 scores. They have a young coach who is selling the heck out of that program, and those kids are buying it. He's had some rough moments learning as a coach, but he's getting talented kids and getting them to believe in that program. Good recruiters can get kids to go anywhere. I'm not saying we need to start getting recruiting classes as good as Western Michigan, but they aren't making excuses and look what it's getting them.

Been following Western Michigan, and it's kind of crazy how exactly opposite their situation has gone from us.

Last year they were 1-11, including losses to Eastern Michigan and NICHOLLS STATE. Last year we were 9-4. They spent their offseason signing the number 1 class in the MAC (despite the 1-11 record) and all but locking up the number 1 class in the MAC for 2015. We did okay, but didnt really capitalize off the 2013 season with the 2015 class the way some had hoped.

Now we're 3-7, losing to a lot of teams we handled last year. They're 7-3 and just beat Eastern Michigan, a team they lost to last year, 51-7 but it was 48-0 at halftime when their key guys were pulled. And they're doing it with a lot of young guys who their coach brought in.

Edited by BillySee58

Dickey bitched about EVERYTHING and he did it ALL THE TIME. He sure as hell complained about the budget not allowing him to keep his best recruiters, and he sure as hell bitched about not having as much travel money as other SBC coaches, even during the winning years.

However, people didn't want to hear it. They did ignore it while he won, but as soon as he lost it became offensive.

Now coach mac didn't complain before, but then again he always had a better sense of glad handling that Dickey did.

You know, Bob Tyler made very similar "Dickey-like" comments about NT and now when Mac gets frustrated he makes them too. You know what I'm thinking? Someone has been lying BIG Time to our HC hires about the "situation" aka culture here at NT. Either that or there are a lot of coaches with big egos who think they can easily turn a culture around.

About the only time we've had a coach that really knew what he was getting into was former Defensive-line-coach-under-Rod Rust....Corkey Nelson. In fact, when I realized who he was after the announcement of his hiring I turned to my wife and said "well, at least he knows what he's getting into".

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

You know, Bob Tyler made very similar "Dickey-like" comments about NT and now when Mac gets frustrated he makes them too. You know what I'm thinking? Someone has been lying BIG Time to our HC hires about the "situation" aka culture here at NT. Either that or there are a lot of coaches with big egos who think they can easily turn a culture around.

About the only time we've had a coach that really knew what he was getting into was former Defensive-line-coach-under-Rod Rust....Corkey Nelson. In fact, when I realized who he was after the announcement of his hiring I turned to my wife and said "well, at least he knows what he's getting into".

I think you are onto something here. Most fan bases are apathetic when they're losing, but we can't even get behind a winner. It must be flabberghasting to these guys.

I think you are onto something here. Most fan bases are apathetic when they're losing, but we can't even get behind a winner. It must be flabberghasting to these guys.

We weren't a winner. We had one winning season that didn't include a division or conference championship. After 10 years of losing.

But it was still enough to get alums curious enough to turn out 35k strong for a Dallas bowl game at 11AM on new years day. Against a crap opponent.

The problem is we are going to follow that up with yet another crap season of playing uninspired offensive football. When all those casual alums were watching to see if this thing was turning around, we have shown them that we are the same old UNT. Too bad.

Win and they will get interested again. I just don't think we can win playing Big 10 football. And it bores you to tears.

• Upvote 4

We weren't a winner. We had one winning season that didn't include a division or conference championship. After 10 years of losing.

But it was still enough to get alums curious enough to turn out 35k strong for a Dallas bowl game at 11AM on new years day. Against a crap opponent.

The problem is we are going to follow that up with yet another crap season of playing uninspired offensive football. When all those casual alums were watching to see if this thing was turning around, we have shown them that we are the same old UNT. Too bad.

Win and they will get interested again. I just don't think we can win playing Big 10 football. And it bores you to tears.

We keep saying that the offensive game plans bore us to tears, but play-makers can still bring excitement in a boring offense. We don't have any/many. Not enough to make it exciting anyhow.

I'm not a fan of flipping back and forth between offensive schemes and Dodge has soured me on the idea of passing it around a lot.

Someone in another thread mentioned we should be skipping field goals and punts when we are behind by 4 TDs. I remember when we did just that... It ended with losing to Oklahoma 79-10 and Rice 77-20.

Admittedly, I still have a bunch of scar tissue from the Dodge years.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully your TCU comparison comes to fruition. Sticking with DW and riding out the bumps is paramount to his success next year. Boykins was terrible last year, but has figured it out.

Problem is, after all the money donated by alumni for facilities and stadium construction, Mac basically goes Darrell Dickey and tells us it just doesn't matter. That is crap and is spitting in the face of those who donated their hard earned money to make HIS job easier.

Own it. Fix it. It's what you get paid to do.

Want the real truth---above says it all------your team no longer buys in --- they have quit on you and you won't get them back! It's not fans or alums-- you have given them crap and deceived them -----your credibility is gone with the team and the fans. Get serious and increase the student fee to have a real program or just get out and become the horn tooters that Denton wants!

• Upvote 2

I think the point about what the coaches realize when they get here and coach for a few years is really astute. We don't care about winning here--the fanbase nor the school demand it. We just don't. For a guy like McCarney, who obviously thought this was a USF program ready to be built up, he never realized in a hundred years that Texas HS coaches and parents have minimal interest (at best) in sending their kids up here to play. He never thought it would be so hard to build up a fanbase at a college in the South, much less in Texas. Whether he was oversold or he just didn't do enough due diligence on the job, it is rather apparent that this has just really hit him hard. We just gotta hope that the uber positive and motivational McCarney shows back up again. Its one thing to not get the Texas HS coaches and recruits to buy into your system, meaning you have to take the tact of developing the talent up from the bottom which takes a few years. But if you lose the few diehards we have around here by pulling out more Dickey-esque lines to the media and fans, he'll see what a hard job looks like--because we will have crowds like we will this week against FIU (really small) become the norm again in the years to come. At that point, all he'll have is a team full of Rudy's...no talent, no size, very little skill.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

Disagree with Jim on this. DMac absolutely knew what he was getting into. The college coaching fraternity is very close knit. DMac knew at his age we would probably be his last shot at an FBS head coaching gig. I'm quite sure he talked to guys who had actually coached he, and probably recently.

He knew what he was getting into, and quite frankly, it isn't that bad. Don't believe the coach speak.