McCarney’s candid remarks about the situation at UNT

Harry

Dan McCarney made what I thought was a pretty telling comment about the situation at North Texas earlier today. I mentioned it in my press conference notes, but this deserves its own post and its own discussion because I think McCarney really provides some good insight here

This isnt the easiest place in the world to recruit to. This isnt the easiest place in the world when you have a track record and a lot of years of losing. Just because you put up some cement and some bigger stands, that doesnt make it easy."

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/10/mccarneys-candid-remarks-about-the-situation-at-unt.html/

Dan McCarney made what I thought was a pretty telling comment about the situation at North Texas earlier today. I mentioned it in my press conference notes, but this deserves its own post and its own discussion because I think McCarney really provides some good insight here

This isnt the easiest place in the world to recruit to. This isnt the easiest place in the world when you have a track record and a lot of years of losing. Just because you put up some cement and some bigger stands, that doesnt make it easy."

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/10/mccarneys-candid-remarks-about-the-situation-at-unt.html/

what would you expect him to say? That him and his staff aren't getting the job done when it comes to recruiting? Of course he isn't going to take the blame.
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

It sounds like he's making excuses before the season is even over. Maybe they see the writing on the wall that the season is doomed. Who knows. Whatever. The players will hear every word he said. Hell, recruits may as well.

If they are going to make excuses publicly then at least it tells me why the players quit playing hard last week. One thing I've never really seen UNT do in my 21 years following UNT is lay down the way they did Saturday. And those were some brutal 21 years of football to follow.

I don't even know what to think about the state of the program now.

• Upvote 3

I'm sorry, but I just don't like hearing that. Take a look at Western Michigan's 2014 signees and 2015 commits. Western Michigan! It's cold up there, but they still convinced Javonte Seabury to say "no thanks national champs FSU" and "no thanks 'The U.'" I'm leaving the sunshine state and taking my talents to Kalamazoo!

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Javonte-Seabury-32993/RecruitInterests

Here's the rest of their 2014 and 2015 classes. Take a look at some of these kids' offer lists.

http://westernmichigan.247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Commits

http://westernmichigan.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

And I've watched them play some this year. They have a much improved football team, especially from a talent aspect and those young guys are already contributing. They were 1-11 last year, but they already have 3 wins this year. Their true freshman running back already has rushed for over 800 yards and 15 scores. They have a young coach who is selling the heck out of that program, and those kids are buying it. He's had some rough moments learning as a coach, but he's getting talented kids and getting them to believe in that program. Good recruiters can get kids to go anywhere. I'm not saying we need to start getting recruiting classes as good as Western Michigan, but they aren't making excuses and look what it's getting them.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5

That's really troubling…...

talk about how difficult it is to recruit here

after talking about the unbelievable players that led you to the 9-4 bowl winning season who are gone

most of which who were recruited by arguably the worst coach in the history of the program who at best had pictures of a possible new stadium to sell

talk about how difficult the situation was when you got here (that the last guy left) all the while enjoying the talent he evidently brought in…..that you now can't seem to bring in

I was not a fan of Todd Dodge when he was here but the situation we have now at UNT is arguably the best it's ever been. The guy whose mess McCarney had to turn around had a mess as well. He evidently still got talent in here (just didn't know what to do with it)

……really troubling

• Upvote 4

just pathetically sad that he would make that statement.

DMac was handed the golden goose with a new stadium to get recruits, forget the losing record, this is on the coaches for not recruiting well and connecting with the athletes.

Comes off as giving up, whatever DMac is now teflon and will not have any accountability for 3 more years.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The part of it that is the most disturbing to me is the players are going to turn on him. I saw it happen first hand with Simon. DMac's statements will translate to the players as my players suck. I promise y'all some of the players are already saying f him privately to each other. If he's going to say this is harder than I thought and my current players suck then they'll stop playing for him. Especially the seniors who know they only have a month or two left. Expect the guys to stop caring and just wanting this season to be over. It's sad but it's reality. I've been in those players shoes and they hear every word he says. Negativity is infectious in a locker room when you're in this position. This is bad leadership and DMac knows better.

good thing he got that nice raise before declaring how rough it is here

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well...not to pull a 90 and push my agenda onto people, but when is the line drawn in the sand with this coach? I have been following North Texas since Mac has took the job and I have not trusted the direction of the program once, even last year. Ugly football only wins for so long and his recruiting classes are continuously OK at best. A collapse was inevitable. Anyways, when is the line drawn?

Oh, and his snarky comment of "It's still North Texas" is spit in my face. McCarney is helping cement his perception of North Texas. 20-23. This coach is literally a loser, his teams consistently lose more than they win.

And may I point out that Mac arrived at Florida in 2008, when they won the national championship. He didn't recruit or develop any of those players on that team. They were already there and were already primed to go on a run. Clowns could have been position coaches with the talent, OC, DC, and HC they had. Funny thing is that after that year, while he was there, the down spiral of the program began.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I expected a decline in production this year. I didn't expect this. However, this is still better than Dodge, Ben Gooding.

The one thing I heard about UNT after hiring McCarney from non-UNT fans was, "I guess North Texas decided to get serious about who they hire." I've never heard that before, and I haven't heard many people get the respect McCarney has among people who know college football and college football coaches.

The dude is connected. Sometimes the truth hurts, but he knows what has to be done.

I'm in full support of Coach Mac and the MGF until he gives me a reason not to be. This isn't it, and some of you guys are wearing a chip on your shoulder that I hope the players are too.

• Upvote 6