McCarney’s candid remarks about the situation at UNT

Harry

He told you what he's experienced. High School coaches don't believe that North Texas is serious about football after hiring high school coaches. Other High School coaches are unhappy with their high school coaching friends being fired for sucking at North Texas. Their displeasure and their parents' rub off on impressionable young teenage minds. He's not starting with neutral, open minds, like UTSA is. He's starting in a negative position Even Texas State's Franchione can command some type of respect with parents.

Hell, we STILL have family members of current players coming on this board to act like we fans and MGC members owe their family a big damn favor for coming to UNT to let us pay for their family members' education and pursuit of a dream because "UNT has a reputation." What happened to the guys who are just happy and humble enough to be here? Sometimes I think we ought to field an all walk-on team or pull a scholly for someone who has a family member post stupid shit on this board. Maybe then we'd get more Kenny Buyers, Sarge McCoy, Chris Hurd and Casey Fitzgerald type motors. Trice seemed happy as hell to land here and be able to hit people legally and he's a guy who had a taste of bigger programs. I'm more than happy to give my money to the kids and family members that want to be here.

To be honest, I don't really care who our coach is (even this year), as long as he doesn't come from a high school. In fact, I'd prefer my coaches and even diet coke boys came from National Championship winning college football staffs. He seems to be really upset with the type of mental and motivational lethargy that appears to have crept into some of the players. Perhaps all of his comments are meant to motivate those players if he's tried everything else and they aren't responding. I could get behind that. He already apologized to the fans after the loss and said he was embarrassed. He truly expects better out of these guys than what he's getting, and I think he's taking responsibility for that.

How many people were upset with the US mens national team coach for saying they wouldn't make it out of pool play before the World Cup even started? It's an indirect shot to the motivation of players.

Bravo man.

• Upvote 2

I hope that GrayEagle gives this some thought and weighs in (historically) on McCarney's comments.

North Texas has never been like any of the big Texas schools when it comes to administrative attitudes regarding athletics. We got along just fine for a long time, but when the recruiting wars and facilities wars started ramping up in the late 60's early 70's we got quickly left behind. Add to that the SWC finally did away with their racist ways and started recruiting players of color. We didn't have that advantage any longer.

NT has never had a culture of giving/donating. I know it sounds outrageous to say, but it was forbidden for a very long time. Hayden Fry introduced us to that concept, but the concept was pretty slow to catch on since there were many minions of our former Presidents still around in decision making roles. Hayden was probably in a daily uphill battle with the administration all the time he was here.

So until we get a "top to bottom" administrative change in attitude about athletics and athletic events, we are never going to move significantly forward. And DD and Coach McCarney will always be right about us.

Having said all that, I find it hard to believe that we are that difficult to sell to athletes. Good God, someone sells ULM, UAB, and UTSA to recruits.

We have a history to overcome, but there is no excuse for us not having a more dominate defense and a legitimate three deep situation at QB.

AND, it's not all on McCarney. It takes EVERYONE in the athletic department to sell this program. And I don't see that happening.

• Upvote 3

I hope that GrayEagle gives this some thought and weighs in (historically) on McCarney's comments.

North Texas has never been like any of the big Texas schools when it comes to administrative attitudes regarding athletics. We got along just fine for a long time, but when the recruiting wars and facilities wars started ramping up in the late 60's early 70's we got quickly left behind. Add to that the SWC finally did away with their racist ways and started recruiting players of color. We didn't have that advantage any longer.

NT has never had a culture of giving/donating. I know it sounds outrageous to say, but it was forbidden for a very long time. Hayden Fry introduced us to that concept, but the concept was pretty slow to catch on since there were many minions of our former Presidents still around in decision making roles. Hayden was probably in a daily uphill battle with the administration all the time he was here.

So until we get a "top to bottom" administrative change in attitude about athletics and athletic events, we are never going to move significantly forward. And DD and Coach McCarney will always be right about us.

Having said all that, I find it hard to believe that we are that difficult to sell to athletes. Good God, someone sells ULM, UAB, and UTSA to recruits.

We have a history to overcome, but there is no excuse for us not having a more dominate defense and a legitimate three deep situation at QB.

AND, it's not all on McCarney. It takes EVERYONE in the athletic department to sell this program. And I don't see that happening.

Thanks CMJ. This is a really good post too. I've always wondered about those places..

• Upvote 1

This isn't just about Mac, the QB debacle falls a lot on the shoulders of Canalas!! His lack of bringing in talented QBs and not the lack there of that we have seen as of late! I still stand behind Coach Mac as being the right guy to bring respect to our program. Let's not kid ourselves, we were getting our butts kicked in a conference that was worse than we are in now. It's hard to recruit when you have decades of losing records, the truth does hurt! Last year we saw a lot better recruiting because he has turned it around, some what. We have to remember that we don't have the depth to reload but yet we still are rebuilding. Th best thing we can do is put more butts in the stadium, invite friends and family to come have a beer with you! However, our university needs to continue to invest heavily in the football program because its what has the most potential for profitability. The schools also needs to realize that it's not all about the flutes and drums! A good athletic dept brings a lot of notoriety and publicity, way more than a band competition. FYI, TCU's tuition shot up nearly 100% the year after they went to the Rose Bowl and was getting all the attention. I realize they are a private institution but it does bring alumni, boosters, and etc. I would argue that it would bring more students on board for even more support.

Edited by MeanGreen01
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm not saying we need to start getting recruiting classes as good as Western Michigan

Thanks for making me cry so early in the morning.

Sadly, instead of Mac changing the culture at UNT, it looks like the culture of UNT has changed Mac. The culture of excuses. The culture of "woe is me."

The culture of "toughest job in America."

Welcome back, Darrell Dickey. (At least he said it when he had absolutely zero facilities).

• Upvote 2

The part of it that is the most disturbing to me is the players are going to turn on him. I saw it happen first hand with Simon. DMac's statements will translate to the players as my players suck. I promise y'all some of the players are already saying f him privately to each other. If he's going to say this is harder than I thought and my current players suck then they'll stop playing for him. Especially the seniors who know they only have a month or two left. Expect the guys to stop caring and just wanting this season to be over. It's sad but it's reality. I've been in those players shoes and they hear every word he says. Negativity is infectious in a locker room when you're in this position. This is bad leadership and DMac knows better.

Can't blame him. He has watched Benford blame the players and get 2 undeserved years of employment and pay out of it.

Hell, Benford even got the AD to join in the player blame game.

It's what we do at UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mac "knows what has to be done"? Pray tell, "what" has to be done? Why is UNT hard to recruit to? We have facilities. What is it? Too small of a recruiting budget? What is it, Mac? His comments are bullshit.

If he "knows what has to be done," why hasn't it been done in his 1st four years on the job?

This smells really, really bad.

Always nice to see the rational discussion emerge from the emotional response. Thanks SE and others.

Coach abandons coach speak for a few minutes and he gets skewered.

The contrasts in how this (my) University's leadership developed an athletic program and how other schools valued the ability of athletics to showcase its school are historic.

North Texas was a teachers college that evolved into a music school that transitioned into a commuters college.

We are past that now. This is a legitimate university with diverse programs, goals and expectations.

Athletics is on a long path towards to legitimacy. The last President or two allowed those doors to be pushed open, and this President may be the most supportive, visible and engaged.

And the Coach took a few minutes to shed some light on life in the North Texas football program and gets trashed.

I said it when I heard it post-game: I have never heard the coach as ashamed and embarrassed...so much so that he abandoned coach speak, revealing a guy that was hit right in the gut, not hiding, not quitting. I think, I hope, this loss disgusted the rest of the team as much as it did Coach.

GMG

So he abandoned "coach speak" at the magical moment where it has become clear this team will not meet expectations?

And he does it to take blame off himself and his staff?

I'd say this is probably the highest level of coach speak we have seen from Mac to date.

I agree that what he said in postgame interview was a break from coach speak. He shoulda stuck with that. But 2 days later he gives us Darrell Dickey speak.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I expected a decline in production this year. I didn't expect this. However, this is still better than Dodge, Ben Gooding.

The one thing I heard about UNT after hiring McCarney from non-UNT fans was, "I guess North Texas decided to get serious about who they hire." I've never heard that before, and I haven't heard many people get the respect McCarney has among people who know college football and college football coaches.

The dude is connected. Sometimes the truth hurts, but he knows what has to be done.

I'm in full support of Coach Mac and the MGF until he gives me a reason not to be. This isn't it, and some of you guys are wearing a chip on your shoulder that I hope the players are too.

Your second paragraph is the issue. NT finally put up serious money for a coach and staff compared to their history. We expected more than we got from truly the bottom tier of hc coaching candidates. So he can compare himself to Dodge, Dickey, Simon, etc. all he wants, but the issues that they faced at NT were gigantic compared to what MR. Coaching Tree McCarney faces.

Does he know what needs to be done? From the first 3 years, you would have a hard time making that case. According to Coach McCarney, he inherited a slow small team and a terrible program: I wonder what RV thinks about all those quotes. He bemoaned the fact that few players had multiple offers and that would change. Now, per his statement he didn't know how tough it was going to be and now he is faced with a Herculean task to develop a creditable program. This after proclaiming the great turnaround of last year.

I am not sure I have a chip on my shoulder after almost 50 years of viewing NT football. Just like I thought Dickey helped kill his own program by proclaiming what a mess NT is, I think McCarney is now starting to do the same.

I have heard few call for McCarney's termination. I certainly don't want that at this point, but I want a guy that wants to be here and offers more than excuses. NT has went in less than one year from the high of the bowl win to a struggling program that is going to have to improve to stay out of last place in the Western Division. The question now is this just a rebuilding year or is the program in almost complete chaos.

• Upvote 2

This. Vito refers to this interview as "candid".

I would like to know what he said in that "candid" piece that is untrue or worthy of being lambasted.

Is it untrue that North Texas has been a difficult place to recruit to?

Does it not take time to turn that around?

We're off to an abysmal start this season. But last year he won a friggin bowl game. C'mon folks, look past what-have-you-done-for-me-lately.

I'm hoping this season is similar to TCU's 2013 season. A down year in between great years.

I think McCarney deserves support from us. If you want to see someone who truly doesn't know how to build/coach a team, you needn't look further than directly across the highway, in the Super Pit. Or, if you're unlucky enough to have lived through it, recall the prior regime. If you cannot see the difference between the two, I don't know what to tell you.

Hopefully your TCU comparison comes to fruition. Sticking with DW and riding out the bumps is paramount to his success next year. Boykins was terrible last year, but has figured it out.

Problem is, after all the money donated by alumni for facilities and stadium construction, Mac basically goes Darrell Dickey and tells us it just doesn't matter. That is crap and is spitting in the face of those who donated their hard earned money to make HIS job easier.

Own it. Fix it. It's what you get paid to do.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Hopefully your TCU comparison comes to fruition. Sticking with DW and riding out the bumps is paramount to his success next year.

Problem is, after all the money donated by alumni for facilities and stadium construction, Mac basically goes Darrell Dickey and tells us it just doesn't matter. That is crap and is spitting in the face of those who donated their hard earned money to make HIS job easier.

I don't think he's saying that. He's just saying that you cant put up all of these awesome facilities and say "Voila! Come bask in Mean Green Splendor all ye 5-star recruits!" It takes more work than that... especially after the debacle he was hired to clean up. He's steadily brought it back up, and last year had a VERY SURPRISING year (can we all agree on that?).

Own it. Fix it. It's what you get paid to do.

Agreed. But if he airs out some frustrations, just like you and me, take them with a grain of salt.

• Upvote 3

A track record of losing? UNT's overall record is 490-473-33. This is a place that has been down for a long, long time? You won a freaking bowl game last year! This is a crap comment by Mac and will only turn his supporters against him. Instead of saying "It's hard to get good players. Other people keep getting all the good players we want" why not say "We have to do a better job developing our players and recruiting great players"? Mac has some goodwill built up from the bowl win and I can get behind him admitting mistakes. Why trash the program you are trying to build?

I don't think he's saying that. He's just saying that you cant put up all of these awesome facilities and say "Voila! Come bask in Mean Green Splendor all ye 5-star recruits!" It takes more work than that... especially after the debacle he was hired to clean up. He's steadily brought it back up, and last year had a VERY SURPRISING year (can we all agree on that?).

Agreed. But if he airs out some frustrations, just like you and me, take them with a grain of salt.

It's the timing of the airing of frustrations. I'd have no problem if he said something like this preseason, but to say it after one of the most disappointing losses in recent program history just smacks of making excuses.

I'm having a hard time finding something inaccurate in what McCarney said.

I'm having a hard time finding something inaccurate in what BillySee58 said. Is recruiting at North Texas as easy as recruiting at Texas? No. Is it as hard as recruiting at Western Freaking Michigan? No.

Good recruiters get it done. We have consistently gotten our asses handed to us during recruiting no matter what conference we have been in with the exception of a few years with Dickey (which he managed to turn into 4 bowl games) and a couple under Dodge (Which Mac managed to turn into a bowl game.)

IT'S NO DAMN SURPRISE WE GET OUR ASSES HANDED TO US ON SATURDAY WHEN WE GET OUR ASSES HANDED TO US IN RECRUITING.

I hope this finally settles two issues I have been harping on:

1) Yes, recruiting matters. Stars do mean something.

2) Yes, Mac is Dickey with better PR skills.