Penn State's James Franklin issues statement

Was I the only one who wondered -- why in hell would Penn State hire a guy who presided over a program with a serious rape allegation case? Well guess what the plot thickens...

-----------------------------------------------------------

According to The Tennessean, which reported on the court filing:

The filing also includes a new allegation about interactions between the alleged victim and former head football coach James Franklin and former director of performance enhancement Dwight Galt — both now at Penn State University.

Referring to records, the attorneys said the victim was contacted by Franklin and Galt during a medical examination four days after the rape to explain "that they cared about her because she assisted them with recruiting."

It went on to say that at some point, "Coach Franklin called her in for a private meeting and told her he wanted her to get fifteen pretty girls together and form a team to assist with the recruiting even though he knew it was against the rules. He added that all the other colleges did it."

Read more: http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2014/04/penn_states_james_franklin_iss.html

But wait -- there's more:

The allegation that Franklin tried to assemble a team of "pretty girls" to help with Vanderbilt recruiting conjures another statement Franklin made about the importance of attractive women.

During a radio interview in 2012, Franklin said one of the top qualifications for his assistant coaches is they must have attractive wives.

"I've been saying it for a long time, I will not hire an assistant coach until I've seen his wife," Franklin said. "If she looks the part, and she's a D-1 recruit, then you got a chance to get hired.

That's part of the deal."

He continued: "There's a very strong correlation between having the confidence, going up and talking to a woman, and being quick on your feet and having some personality and confidence and being fun and articulate, than it is walking into a high school and recruiting a kid and selling him."

Read more: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/04/james_franklin_vanderbilt_rape.html

I don't know if many noticed it but quietly in the night, State was able to finagle some type of removal of bowl bans or scholarships recently. I don't have a link but basically it was like a prisoner getting reduced time for good behavior. Just like the Florida State QB mess, these big money programs will always be given the benefit of the doubt because they represent so much revenue for the NCAA etc... North Carolina has repeatedly lied and covered up academic fraud yet they will be sterling clean in a couple of years just watch..

Of course this is exactly what Hayden Fry did as soon as he arrived on campus. He also assembled a team of "pretty girls" to assist in the recruiting effort. I can't remember what they were called...Mean Green Angels? Something like that. Maybe some of the other old timers can help here.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 1

In UNT90's world . . .

The harshest punishment the NCAA has ever handed down = wrist slap

:rolleyes:

Perhaps you missed that whole death penalty thing at SMU?

Watch for Penn St. To magically have 4 stars "walk on." Watch those walks ons have no problem paying tuition, even though many don't have the financial wherewithal to do so. Watch the NCAA do nothing.

Penn St. Learned you can cover up and let continue the sexual assaults of multiple children without losing your program, think they are scared of paying players now?

Naive.

I don't know if many noticed it but quietly in the night, State was able to finagle some type of removal of bowl bans or scholarships recently. I don't have a link but basically it was like a prisoner getting reduced time for good behavior. Just like the Florida State QB mess, these big money programs will always be given the benefit of the doubt because they represent so much revenue for the NCAA etc... North Carolina has repeatedly lied and covered up academic fraud yet they will be sterling clean in a couple of years just watch..

The NCAA is nothing but the P5's whore and nothing demonstrates that like Pedo St.

Part of me wishes the semi-pro teams would just get the F out of college football.

• Upvote 2

The NCAA is nothing but the P5's whore and nothing demonstrates that like Pedo St.

Part of me wishes the semi-pro teams would just get the F out of college football.

Part of me does too..... Only problem is the other part of me wants us to be one SO BAD!

• Upvote 1

So who ultimately decides if a coaches' girlfriend of wife is hot? And what does it matter? She doesn't interact with a recruit.

Oh...they forgot to mention, that was the other thing the girlfriend/wife is required to do.

• Upvote 1

Of course this is exactly what Hayden Fry did as soon as he arrived on campus. He also assembled a team of "pretty girls" to assist in the recruiting effort. I can't remember what they were called...Mean Green Angels? Something like that. Maybe some of the other old timers can help here.

Yep, and the Eagle Angels are still definitely a thing. Or, at least I've seen pretty girls around Athletics events with shirts that said such.

Yep, and the Eagle Angels are still definitely a thing. Or, at least I've seen pretty girls around Athletics events with shirts that said such.

It's no secret...pretty girls at big universities help recruit..."effectively"...they're the "school ambassadors" for the potential student athletes...

sales 101...beauty "doesn't hurt".

Perhaps you missed that whole death penalty thing at SMU?

One year, officially, two by default. The sanctions handed down against Penn State were unquestionably harsher. Penn State had the advantage of an amazing head coach hire (that no one knew was so amazing at the time), and a group of players and verbal commits that were willing to band together through the adversity. If SMU had that, they would have popped through the other side of sanctions in great shape.

Watch for Penn St. To magically have 4 stars "walk on." Watch those walks ons have no problem paying tuition, even though many don't have the financial wherewithal to do so.

I'm watching. It hasn't happened yet.

Penn St. Learned you can cover up and let continue the sexual assaults of multiple children without losing your program, think they are scared of paying players now?

Who that is at Penn State was involved in any cover up? It is already evident that the harsh sanctions that were handed down against PSU were the result of a lynch mob mentality, and several of the media figures who were fiercest in their denunciations have backed off and apologized. Sanctions against Penn State are not potentially being reduced because of "back room dealings" :rolleyes:, but largely because the NCAA (or at least some in the NCAA) realize that they acted hastily and without sufficient justification.

Paying players? Unless you have some evidence of that, all you've provided is further evidence that you're full of it, and that nothing you say can be trusted.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

One year, officially, two by default. The sanctions handed down against Penn State were unquestionably harsher. Penn State had the advantage of an amazing head coach hire (that no one knew was so amazing at the time), and a group of players and verbal commits that were willing to band together through the adversity. If SMU had that, they would have popped through the other side of sanctions in great shape.

I'm watching. It hasn't happened yet.

Who that is at Penn State was involved in any cover up? It is already evident that the harsh sanctions that were handed down against PSU were the result of a lynch mob mentality, and several of the media figures who were fiercest in their denunciations have backed off and apologized. Sanctions against Penn State are not potentially being reduced because of "back room dealings" :rolleyes:, but largely because the NCAA (or at least some in the NCAA) realize that they acted hastily and without sufficient justification.

Paying players? Unless you have some evidence of that, all you've provided is further evidence that you're full of it, and that nothing you say can be trusted.

So it's OK to have a cover up of molestation of children by your head coach and AD as long as you fire them once someone else finds put and the actor is arrested, eh? All just a big misunderstanding. All those idiots suing the Catholic Church should just go away, right? I mean, once there was FINALLY enough pressure, they fixed the problem, also. What's the difference?

Also, I'd love to see the bank accounts of the players and their parents that stayed "loyal" to Penn St. I have the feeling the NCAA doesn't share my curiosity.

You think the NCAA "over-reacted" to sanctioned molestation and I'm full of it?

Ok

I am glad you are the self appointed NCAA enforcement officer assigned to Pedo St., though. I'm sure you'll accomplish just about as much as the NCAA.

Edited by UNT90