Baker Mayfield transferring from Tech

Green Crazy

Why are we so eager to get a walk-on from a big 12 school? If Connor Brewer doesn't get hurt Baker doesn't start a down this season. Would we be this excited if he had taken his offer to Rice or FAU, put up the same stats and then wanted to transfer? Do any of you remember Latif Nurudeen? We were so excited to get a walk-on transfer from Baylor, then he came and was just another player.

• Upvote 1

I think Mayfield is from Lake Travis HS in Austin ?

Yes. This sort of worries me. All conversations about how good he would be for us set aside, I wonder if we might be sort of blacklisted at Travis.

If you guys recall, we once had a commitment from Mayfield's teammate/classmate Hunter Siddons, an offensive tackle from Lake Travis. He was injured (concussion iirc) and we pulled his scholarship. Maybe we aren't much at fault for that and it might've been something we had to do, but I can't imagine that sat well with Siddons, the Lake Travis coaches, and his friends/teammates (Mayfield?).

Don't know how close Mayfield and Siddons are or were, but it is something to note as they may in fact be close friends. That might have left a sour taste in Mayfield's mouth.

Why are we so eager to get a walk-on from a big 12 school? If Connor Brewer doesn't get hurt Baker doesn't start a down this season. Would we be this excited if he had taken his offer to Rice or FAU, put up the same stats and then wanted to transfer? Do any of you remember Latif Nurudeen? We were so excited to get a walk-on transfer from Baylor, then he came and was just another player.

No, because he would have done it against CUSA teams. The guy has a better than 1:1 TD to INT ratio...that alone says he might be an upgrade.

• Upvote 1

Scholarship/walkon doesn't factor into eligibility. He would have to sit out or xfer to a lower division for a year.

This ESPN story said baker was eligible immediately. (Minnesota to Houston)

http://tinyurl.com/mbkuqdq

It doesn't say why, but I seem to recall that since he was a walk on he could transfer and play right away. Not sure if there are other conditions that need to be met too.

Edited by Army of Dad

Harry would disagree with this statement, as would I (even though I suck at the twitter)

Just a jab at old people..... nothing personal...... I guess I was just referring to his vulgarities and rap/hip hop culture references being lost on the over 40 crowd

Edited by DirtySavage
  • Downvote 1

Aikman, for one.

Russell Wilson?

Can somebody provide me with a list of legendary players who transferred in from other FBS programs?

Brian Calhoun. Running back who started at Colorado and transferred to Wisconsin.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brian-calhoun-1.html

Jarvis Jones started at USC and transferred to Georgia, where he became a two-time All American and a first-round pick.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarvis_Jones

Oh yeah, and we have this Trice dude who transferred from OU and made first-team All CUSA.

• Upvote 3

Rodge?????? lol

Ryan Mallett

Jeremiah Masoli

Tashard Choice

Jeff Hostetler

Trace Armstrong

Colt Brennan

Randy Moss

Jeff George

Doc Blanchard

Marcus Trice

Michael Pruitt

Zed Evans (legend in the making)

I graduated high school with Mallett. It always irks me that the dude is paid millions to bench-warm for Tom Brady.

No, because he would have done it against CUSA teams. The guy has a better than 1:1 TD to INT ratio...that alone says he might be an upgrade.

Are you sure about that Emmitt?

Let's see what the stats say.

Against their 3 OOC opponents(SMU-AAC, SFA-FCS, TSSM-Sunbelt):

Baker completed 70.9% of his passes for 904 yards (301 yards per game) while throwing 7 touchdowns(2.3 per game) and only 1 interception(.33 per game). He was sacked 5 times(1.67 per game).

He rushed 27 times for 86 yards (3.2 yards per carry and 29 yards per game) and scored 1 touchdown(.33pg). He also fumbled twice (.67 per game).

Against the 5 conference opponents he faced(TCU, Kansas, Kansas St, Baylor, Texas)

He completed 60.9% of his passes for 1,411 yards(282 per game) while throwing 5 touchdowns(1 per game) and 8 interceptions(1.6 per game). He was sacked 19 times(3.8 per game).

He rushed 61 times for 104 yards (1.7per carry and 20.8 per game) and scored 2 touchdowns(.66pg). He fumbled 6 times(1.2 per game).

So to sum up going 140 of 230 for 1,411 yards with 5 TDs, 8 picks, 19 sacks, and 6 fumbles in 5 Big 12 games doesn't scream to me please come to North Texas. He can come in as a walk-on and compete but he hasn't shown anything worthy of being a priority.

• Upvote 2

Your crazy Watch the kid at the start of the season and he looked great. Great arm strength and can run the ball. Might be 6' , but looked great then got hurt.

If you really watched him you would've seen that he was not great and could not run the ball. One of the main reasons Tech's offense wasn't as good as it could have been is that they didn't have good QB play.

• Upvote 1

I watched him play more than half his starts and my opionion is that he's not a star, but would be a step up for us. Not a giant step,bu improvement. Being a true freshman and performing mediocre is pretty impressive, but he's not much of a runner and turns the ball over a bit. There's a hilarious gif of him throwing a pick against ksu and giving a very weak attempt of trying to tackle the guy. If we go after him, good. If we don't, I'm fine with that too.

If you really watched him you would've seen that he was not great and could not run the ball. One of the main reasons Tech's offense wasn't as good as it could have been is that they didn't have good QB play.

He also won Big 12 Freshman of the year today. FWIW.

http://m.lubbockonline.com/sports-red-raiders-football/2013-12-11/mayfield-named-big-12-offensive-freshman-year-heels-transfer