SI's Pete Thamel: McCarney has possible shot at Illinois job

Harry

Keep an eye on: Illinois. Fighting Illini administrators pondered pulling the plug on Tim Beckman last year, even discreetly making calls to see if coaches had any interest. Now, Illinois is struggling both on the field and the recruiting trail, and Saturday's ESPN broadcast of a 60-35 loss to Ohio State cast negativity on Beckman's future. A winless Big Ten season may force the program to make a move. However, Illinois may be worried that difficult admissions standards make the job unattractive.

If the position becomes open, Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi would get a long look. He's one of the country's most coveted assistants, and he already has Big Ten experience. (Amazing statistic working against him: 27 of the 32 head-coaching jobs that turned over last year went to candidates with offensive backgrounds.) Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman could give the Illini an identity. If he moved the ball as the offensive coordinator at Iowa State, he could likely find similar success in Champaign.

Perhaps North Dakota State's Craig Bohl would also be in the mix. Illinois hired the hot MAC coach last time, so it could pursue a similar strategy. Dan McCarney's strong season at North Texas, coupled with his Big Ten experience from Wisconsin, could also give him a shot. As for a dark horse, FCS Eastern Illinois' Dino Babers has flourished with a Baylor-like offense.

Yay for rumor mill! I'm not concerned. These analysts can speculate all they want but I just don't see McCarney at his age leaving until the job is completely done. I think him retiring is more likely than him leaving.

I feel like RV will make Mac see $$ this offseason and keep him here for a few more years.

Edited by meangreener

Unless there's something weird about his contract, Mac will likely also get bonuses from a championship berth, championship win, bowl berth, and bowl win. There's a very good chance that at least two of those will happen. Uprooting, moving, and starting over at his age hardly makes sense, and with the extra dollars rolling in, it's even more likely that he'll stay.

Yay for rumor mill! I'm not concerned. These analysts can speculate all they want but I just don't see McCarney at his age leaving until the job is completely done. I think him retiring is more likely than him leaving.

I feel like RV will make Mac see $$ this offseason and keep him here for a few more years.

The question is how much $$ will he see? I've stated before that the bigger name programs will start their salary offer at a million plus. We can give Mac a raise but realistically I can't see us going beyond 700k or 800k right now if even that.

When journalists speculate. I recall this:

Here are some coaches who might be on North Texas' radar screen to replace fired coach Todd Dodge.

Jeff Bower: Took his team to 10 bowls in his last 11 seasons at Southern Miss

Steve Kragthorpe: Ex-UNT offensive coordinator revived Tulsa, flopped at Louisville

Dennis Franchione: Proven program builder at non-BCS level began TCU's rise before stints at Alabama, Texas A&M

Kevin Wilson: Oklahoma offensive coordinator was named the nation's top assistant in 2008

Jay Norvell: OU assistant offensive coordinator and ex-NFL assistant previously interviewed at UNT

• Upvote 1

I just don't see McCarney at his age leaving until the job is completely done.

That begs the question, when exactly is the job completely done?

Playing devils advocate, you can make the argument that the job is done because he has turned our program around is now taking us to a bowl game. So if the job is done, why wouldn't he leave to another school with more money and better conference?

That being said, I think (hope)(pray)(beg) Mac retires here.

While I don't think he gets/takes/offered this gig I do sadly worry that attedance at games may ultimately lead him to start searching around. He has been very passionate about getting people in the stands and while we have had some good crowds we have also had some flops.

I know money talks but every time he talks he mentions attendance so this would be my one concern about him potentially leaving.

With this being said I think him and RV sit down and get whatever additional dollars and years worked out and he stays for the forseeeable future.

• Upvote 1

While I don't think he gets/takes/offered this gig I do sadly worry that attedance at games may ultimately lead him to start searching around. He has been very passionate about getting people in the stands and while we have had some good crowds we have also had some flops.

I know money talks but every time he talks he mentions attendance so this would be my one concern about him potentially leaving.

With this being said I think him and RV sit down and get whatever additional dollars and years worked out and he stays for the forseeeable future.

Excellent point. If folks want to help keep Mac around, filling up Apogee might just be a key ingredient.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. This is why it's maddening that people blow it off. We won't sell out this week either.

To be fair, Illinois ends up with about 20K empty seats each week as well.

Although, is Beckman really gonna get fired from Illinois?

We really need to keep him around. He's a key ingredient in home attendance. His tough, no frills football win-at-home mentality has done wonders for this program.

I fear the worst if Mac leaves.

Edited by meangreener

If a big time school come calling, NT is not going to out salary them; silly to even try.

I doubt McCarney with all his health issues and age is going to be as hot commodity as some seem to think.

However, if he does land a better gig; more power to him.

I think we'd be able to match most offers from low Big 10/12 schools. We have one of the highest CUSA budgets for next year. RV realizes how vital McCarney is.

Illinois is currently paying their worthless coach $1.6 million. I imagine they'd be willing to up that for Coach Mac, if that's who they want. Anyone who thinks we'd match that is not dealing with reality.

Last year, Illinois averaged over 45k per game. Yes, that is a lot of empty seats. But they were terrible--they only won two games, and those were against Western Michigan and Charleston Southern. Give them a halfway decent team, and they'll easily have 55k in the stands. And knowing Mac's confidence, he would be quite sure he could give them a better than halfway decent team.

And it was RV who was extended, not Coach Mac.

• Upvote 1

I think he's happy at UNT. You can't change people's perceptions of a program overnight. But winning the conference in the first season of membership will go a long, long way.

There's still that matter of hundreds of thousands of alum within an hour's drive of Denton...

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 2