Texas State Fans discuss move to Belt

Harry

But it wasn't utsa or tsu's fault it took US this long to get into CUSA. Most of it was our own fault. I understand the frustration. But they got in congrats to them. They will probably struggle for a while and so are we. We aren't going to magically win games because we are now in the CUSA. We're still the same team, until we see the new conference affiliation pay off in recruiting, we need to take care of ours. Go Mean Green!

So true. There will be some struggling, but it will be worth it.

• Upvote 2

My guess is that with this Alliance there will be an incentive to fill non-CUSA games with Mountain West opponents. Don't know that for a fact but it would seem to make sense. That said I'm all for keeping series going with The Belt teams for sure.

What I want is for us to not do to others what SMU has been doing to us for decades......sneering at us for no good reason.

This is a very good post ... We wanted more and it has been a long road to make progress. Now we have to show we belong. The road ahead is going to be full of challenges and we should never forget what we have gone through to get to where we are at today and how we hated being treated like some here are starting to treat other schools.

• Upvote 2

But it wasn't utsa or tsu's fault it took US this long to get into CUSA. Most of it was our own fault. I understand the frustration. But they got in. congrats to them. They will probably struggle for a while and so are we. We aren't going to magically win games because we are now in the CUSA. We're still the same team, until we see the new conference affiliation pay off in recruiting, we need to take care of ours. Go Mean Green!

I thought we were discussing us "not being SMU". My point is we aren't being SMU when we gripe about UTSA's inclusion, because UTSA has exactly one year of what amounts to DII history.

Just a little different circumstances. I DO NOT wish UTSA well, I wish them 10 straight years of 0-12 records. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

Suck it, UTSA!!!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6

I thought we were discussing us "not being SMU". My point is we aren't being SMU when we gripe about UTSA's inclusion, because UTSA has exactly one year of what amounts to DII history.

Just a little different circumstances. I DO NOT wish UTSA well, I wish them 10 straight years of 0-12 records. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

Suck it, UTSA!!!

Fo Sho.

I don't understand what is so difficult to understand.

The gripes about SMU being 'above' UNT are valid because UNT has been struggling to get out from underneath them for ages, and they have done their best to use clout to keep the large public school from being on their level. Successfully, I might add. We could learn some things from them (I'm talking administration and alumni clout, not message board fans).

Comparing SMU:UNT as UNT:UTSA is an illogical argument as UTSA has not struggled at all. And voila! now they are on the same level as we are!

UNT paid our dues for decades to get where we are today. What has UTSA done? Built a school in an untapped 'dream market'... aka: nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

IMO.......North Texas will need to play OOC games with mid major schools some of whom are:

(1) in and out of Top 25 polls

(2) ranked anywhere from #15 to #25 (which will probably not be a mid major program most times) or

(3) are consistent Top 25 vote getters almost breaking into the Top 25 annually.

We will be playing enough Texas or regional teams in CUSA as it is so if we want out-of-Texas or non-Southwest region

media poll votes we need to play schools in other states or regions.

If we want to dip down with our schedule we should have stayed down where we we've been of late, gather round the campfire and sing kum bah yah with all those we've been trying to distance ourselves from for quite awhile now.

Being SMU'esque snobbish here? No, we're not and MeanGreenTexan gives a good reason as to why that is not the case. Its just a case of UNT needing to advance itself as we should have done about 25 or so years ago.

The OOC schedule should (for the most part) be stronger than most of the upper tier CUSA schools we'll already have on our schedule most years because if that is the case we then the Mean Green has a legitimate chance for Top 25 rankings.

GMG!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Texas State has not passed us in size or academics but they are ahead of UTSA in both and yet UTSA has gained a level on them conference-wise. UTSA was chosen for two reasons...market and attendance.

There is nothing that Texas State can do about the San Antonio market; it is what it is. They are one county too far north. The University of Texas dominates or leads in many markets in Texas but none moreso than the Austin area where Texas State is located. It is not their university or their administration but their location that failed them.

Texas State will do very well in the Sun Belt Conference. It's where they should be with their FBS startup program. Unfortunatelty, it's where UTSA should be also. They feel hurt by it because they are more proven in nearly every way than the Roadrunners.

TSU will have a much tougher level of competition than their former FCS brethren but I believe that they'll do very well early for two reasons: 1) the SBC has been weakened somewhat by defections to other conferences and 2) they have a much better coach, who has recruited well.

• Upvote 5

No what failed them is not having PUF $$ that UT System institutions have. We should not make the conference of UT System droppings better by joining it. Austin will make sure those programs in SA and EP never rise farther than they need to in order to help choke the likes of us.

Texas State has not passed us in size or academics but they are ahead of UTSA in both and yet UTSA has gained a level on them conference-wise. UTSA was chosen for two reasons...market and attendance.

There is nothing that Texas State can do about the San Antonio market; it is what it is. They are one county too far north. The University of Texas dominates or leads in many markets in Texas but none moreso than the Austin area where Texas State is located. It is not their university or their administration but their location that failed them.

Texas State will do very well in the Sun Belt Conference. It's where they should be with their FBS startup program. Unfortunatelty, it's where UTSA should be also. They feel hurt by it because they are more proven in nearly every way than the Roadrunners.

TSU will have a much tougher level of competition than their former FCS brethren but I believe that they'll do very well early for two reasons: 1) the SBC has been weakened somewhat by defections to other conferences and 2) they have a much better coach, who has recruited well.

Texas State has reached Tier One Status: http://star.txstate.edu/node/5720

And, having personally attended both North Texas State University and Southwest Texas State, both were equally academically challenging.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And, having personally attended both North Texas State University and Southwest Texas State, both were equally academically challenging.

No, Texas State has not reached Tier One status. Right in the article you cite, it says, "Only three universities in Texas are tier-one research institutions: Texas A&M, UT and the University of Houston."

That said, I would much rather be in a conference with y'all than UTSA.

• Upvote 2

No what failed them is not having PUF $$ that UT System institutions have. We should not make the conference of UT System droppings better by joining it. Austin will make sure those programs in SA and EP never rise farther than they need to in order to help choke the likes of us.

This! I might add that with UTEP and utsa being part of the UT System, I doubt they will have problems with funding anything. Let's see, the tu athletic department nets $100+ million a year(just guessing). Can they move some of that athletic money to San Antonio if really needed? I honestly don't know.

• Upvote 2

IMO.......North Texas will need to play OOC games with mid major schools some of whom are:

(1) in and out of Top 25 polls

(2) ranked anywhere from #15 to #25 (which will probably not be a mid major program most times) or

(3) are consistent Top 25 vote getters almost breaking into the Top 25 annually.

We will be playing enough Texas or regional teams in CUSA as it is so if we want out-of-Texas or non-Southwest region

media poll votes we need to play schools in other states or regions.

If we want to dip down we should have just stayed down where we were, gather round the campfire singing kum bah yah with all those we've been trying

to distance ourselves from for quite awhile now. Being SMU'esque snobbish here? No, just being upwardly bound'ish for an athletic program that

needs to advance itself as we should have already done about 25 or so years ago, that's all.

GMG!

GMG!

So you're saying Texas Southern really shouldn't be on our schedule this year? :shocking:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Suck it, UTSA!!!

Outstanding post! We think alike on the subject of ut "one year of football history" sa.

• Upvote 2

No, Texas State has not reached Tier One status. Right in the article you cite, it says, "Only three universities in Texas are tier-one research institutions: Texas A&M, UT and the University of Houston."

Texas State University-San Marcos was recently reclassified by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) as an "emerging research university." This puts Texas State in competition with Houston, North Texas, Texas Tech, UT Arlington, UT Dallas, UT El Paso, and UT San Antonio for incentive funding through several pools of state funds, most importantly the National Research University Fund (NRUF). The hope is all eight universities will meet the requirements to receive funds from the NRUF to increase research expenditures for classification by the Carnegie Foundation as "Research Universities: very high research activity (RU/VH)," and selected for membership by the Association of American Universities (AAU) based on research. Right now only UT Austin, Texas A&M, and Rice are members of the AAU and those three along, the University of Houston, are classified by the Carnegie Foundation and "RU/VH."

Edited by NThomas

You're right - I stand corrected. Texas State has recently been labeled an "emerging research" university. My bad. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

My guess is that with this Alliance there will be an incentive to fill non-CUSA games with Mountain West opponents. Don't know that for a fact but it would seem to make sense. That said I'm all for keeping series going with The Belt teams for sure.

We've been trying to get out of the Sun Belt for years. I can't see us consistently scheduling Sun Belt teams now that we're getting out.

I think once it's all said and done our OOC schedule will have two MWC teams (1 home &1 away) a consistent top 25 BCS team and a regional FCS team.