Texas State Fans discuss move to Belt

Harry

Interesting, that Texas State who has not played a down of football will sail pass NT, and has already passed NT academically.

I wish these newbies would wait till at least play a fb division game before they predict dominance. If TSSM gets in the Belt, they are quickly going to find out about all those non-named schools they don't want to be associated with can play some football.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

It's weird, it's almost as if they are disappointed to leave the WAC even though it is clearly a sinking ship. I think once the dust settles they will be good with the Sun Belt. they better strap it on though because I think they underestimate how good some of the Belt programs are.

Interesting, that Texas State who has not played a down of football will sail pass NT, and has already passed NT academically.

I wish these newbies would wait till at least play a fb division game before they predict dominance. If TSSM gets in the Belt, they are quickly going to find out about all those non-named schools they don't want to be associated with can play some football.

Not saying you're wrong, GrandGreen, but is there a link to prove that TSU-San Marcos has passed us academically?

Anyone know how TSU-San Marocs graduate school programs ranks with North Texas?

GMG!

• Upvote 2

I don't think Tx State ever had a realistic shot at the alliance regardless this time around. UTSA got in for everything but football and athletics. I don't think they would have minded the SBC if UTSA was coming with them. As for being pissed at their AD...I mean seriously what is he supposed to do...you can only do so much with the number if resources you have...as it is they've done a hell of a job upgrading their stadium and committing to athletics but I still say they never had a shot at the alliance/CUSA.

• Upvote 1

Texas State fans seemed so wrapped up in what the WAC was that they don't realize that the WAC they are joining (prior to it getting picked apart today) that it is a shadow of its former self. They should be glad that they're not going back the Southland Conference with their tails tucked between their legs.

I wouldn't be shocked if UTA gets an invite to the SBC to help even out the basketball numbers and to try to keep access to the DFW market for recruiting.

• Upvote 1

they don't see to happy with thier AD, Prez, or the Sunbelt. I think the sunbelt is a great starting point and thier is no reason they can't grow. Thier board may be more negative than ours. A feat that is not easily done.

They don't sound unhappy with the Sun Belt. They sound unhappy with (1) comments their leadership has made indicating TSU-SM's commitment to a conference that will not exist in a few years, and (2) the fact that UTSA passed them up. Can't say as that I blame them for either.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lots of emotion over there. They are about to feel like what UNT has felt like being the odd program out at least for awhile. Further neither UTSA nor TSU realizes just how hard they are going to get beat down in the early going. The Bobcats can plan on getting shallacked by Troy, drilled by an angry MTSU, crushed by Arkie State and thumped by Louisiana Monroe! Throw in the drubbing by ULL and they will quickly realize that they need to set their sights on competing in the Belt and then going bowling in the Belt. UTSA is going to be a delicious treat for all of us long timers who have paid our football dues. The ugly bird is going down hard and often in the coming years.

GMG

• Upvote 3

Lots of emotion over there. They are about to feel like what UNT has felt like being the odd program out at least for awhile. Further neither UTSA nor TSU realizes just how hard they are going to get beat down in the early going. The Bobcats can plan on getting shallacked by Troy, drilled by an angry MTSU, crushed by Arkie State and thumped by Louisiana Monroe! Throw in the drubbing by ULL and they will quickly realize that they need to set their sights on competing in the Belt and then going bowling in the Belt. UTSA is going to be a delicious treat for all of us long timers who have paid our football dues. The ugly bird is going down hard and often in the coming years.

GMG

What's sad is that Texas St would have more business being in CUSA over UTSA

• Upvote 5

Agree. I started following NT in '86 and SWT and NTSU had some battles back then. UTSA is living a dream but those do come to an end as well. Things will not always be that easy. Texas State is getting a raw deal indeed. I already want to beat down UTSA effective 4.30.12.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Is it me or is the one guy on their board obsessed with "North Texas State" and everything but athletics? It seems to me he suffers from a type of phallic envy. Bed space, tier 1, student body size, ect... Wow. I'm not a douche so I won't refer to them as Southwest Texas State University nor would I throw salt on the wounds they obviously have for not getting what they wanted. Don't they realize our fans don't really pay attention to them and will continue to not pay attention to them because we won't be playing them? Freakin haters and sore losers. They ought to be thankful the Sunbelt might want them because some other D1 schools that have been D1 won't be so lucky. Entitlement junkies.

• Upvote 3

To hell with SWTS! They will be a doormat in the Sunbelt for many years to come. What an ungrateful group! They should be happy that the Sunbelt would want them. I don't think Middle Tennessee, Arkansas State, Troy and others are excited about them joining. I'm embarrassed for the state of Texas that we will not a worthy representative from Texas in the Sunbelt. Why would they bash the Sunbelt when they don't even have a home? What have they done to make themselves appealing to CUSA/MWC? The only reason I know of San Marcus is because I have to drive through there to get to San Antonio. Life will be so different for them once they are no longer able to field a football team with mostly D1 transfers; who didn't t have to sit. Next thing we may hear is Texas A&M Commerce or Midwestern State bitching about not going to CUSA.

• Upvote 1

My take …

Texas State – They seem to be in love with who the WAC used to be. It’s like they got a chance to go on a blind date with the “Homecoming Queen” 20 years later and they don’t want to admit that she has changed. I think when they start playing a Sun Belt schedule they will realize what they are getting in to.

UTSA – Three words describe the essence of their “success” – Location, location, potential. San Antonio offers a great location and a wonderful market to be in if they can field a good product. UTSA is that new “thing” that everyone is hearing about and they think they need to get “theirs” just in case it turns out to be good.

P.S. – I think UTSA could be a great rivalry and someone our Administration and AD will focus on to stay ahead of.

• Upvote 1

How on earth did they come to that conclusion?

• Upvote 2

Is it me or is the one guy on their board obsessed with "North Texas State" and everything but athletics? It seems to me he suffers from a type of phallic envy. Bed space, tier 1, student body size, ect... Wow. I'm not a douche so I won't refer to them as Southwest Texas State University nor would I throw salt on the wounds they obviously have for not getting what they wanted. Don't they realize our fans don't really pay attention to them and will continue to not pay attention to them because we won't be playing them? Freakin haters and sore losers. They ought to be thankful the Sunbelt might want them because some other D1 schools that have been D1 won't be so lucky. Entitlement junkies.

Ya, he's a peach. I had a PM conversation one time to figure out why his grapes are so sour. I don't really understand it. He's bounced around to 3-4 different universities in Texas, UNT being one of them. If you're bouncing around that much, maybe you need to look into the mirror. He's obsessed with university academics on athletic sports boards.

I believe he posts as GL2Greatness on GMG.

• Upvote 3

--- They are just now getting a chance to be a D-1 school and they are looking down on those that have been there for a long time.!! Wow. Plus it appears that they just lost to UTSA for a conference bid they wanted which has only one year of football behind them and is many decades newer as a university.

--- Also sort of says something about their academics if that is their typical irrational thinking. I guess this is like telling a girl she is cute and then she thinks she is Miss America and too good for you.. Maybe most of them aren't so nutty. I'm a bit surprised they are getting a D-1, it sure isn't about about good they have been in sports lately but more about size and location. Sam Houston has done far better on the sports field.

• Upvote 1

Texas State fans are full of all kinds of delusions of grandeur. When I lived down near there, several regularly tried to tell me that San Marcos is actually a better music town than Denton, citing Blue October and the Randy Rogers Band as evidence.

---Guess they haven't noticed that UNT alums have more Grammies than ANY college in America.... much less Texas.

• Upvote 1