Chase Walling update

Brett Vito

One of the things SMU folks always say is how well known they're known nationally and worldwide and how big their brand is. This is a first that I've heard an SMU person say something like this. So why have the need to expand your brand? wink.gif

Then whatever pony you talked to is an idiot. Head over to our boards and you'll see most of us talking about what we can to do market ourselves not just in the country, but in the freakin' DFW area too. We were a recognized brand in the 80s and before then, but most people in their teens to their mid-30s dont know anything about SMU unless they're from Dallas. Anyway, I know I always enter these threads to read up on what UNTers are saying, and I end up replying to something that has little to do with the OP, sorry for further derailment of the conversation!

For what it's worth, I hope UNT manages to benefit from the latest conference reshuffling.

Edited by Comet7745
  • Upvote 2

I hope Chase Walling stays with North Texas. If Walling decommits, that is his business.

I am sure the staff has other OL prospects available, that NT fans do not know.

Prospects do change their minds on their college choice.

I am impressed with the way the staff can have prospects de-commit from other programs, then commit

to North Texas. Under Coach McCarney's watch, these players changed their commitment.

1. TE Andrew Power, was commited to Tennessee

2. Safety Kerry Swarn, was commited to Arizona

3. CB Freddie Warner, was commited to Texas Tech

4. WR Chaz Sampson, was commited to Tulsa

5. CB Dequarius Johnson, was commited to Akron

There are North Texas prospects that have commited to other programs.

Maybe the coaching staff can gain a few de-commitments before recruiting ends in Feburary.

One thing about the five listed above...they came from a coaching change. It could have been that their scholarship offer was pulled or it could have been that they didn't feel that they fit well under the new coach's style.

I hope that Walling stays too but there will be occasional movement at our level. It also works the other way. Sometimes a higher rated player falls to us from annulled BCS commitments. As another poster said, if it happens I hope that we can get a cornerback. We are fairly well stocked at offensive line and have only two seniors.

You're wrong. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you are flat wrong there. I'm not saying ya'll don't have x amount of fans, but seriously, there's no way 21k were at every game. That means the stadium is 2/3 full. Care to show us some crowd shots of these games in question?

Again, you're wrong. The same way UNT was wrong in its last game counting the attendance. The difference between us though, we did it for one game to ensure getting an attendance record, you guys do it every game and then act like it never happened, trying not to put out too many crowd pics, same with the cheating scandal. No one will forget that SMU is a bunch of money grubbing cheaters

Funny when a sun belt team who hasn't had a winning season in 7 years outdraws a big east team who just went to a bowl game, isn't it?

I'm not wrong about the number of tickets scanned. I'm not sure how UNT's priority point system works (or if there is one), but at SMU each ticket scanned is 1 point. I know many at SMU will scan their tickets and then return to the Boulevard at some point before the game is over. My point was that SMU isn't lying about the numbers scanned. It's just that they have no way of realistically inventorying the attrition. I went to every game and for most games it was 18-19k by half (15-16k by end of game). To say that 22k didn't come into the stadium is false.

One of the things SMU folks always say is how well known they're known nationally and worldwide and how big their brand is. This is a first that I've heard an SMU person say something like this. So why have the need to expand your brand? wink.gif

Honestly...SMU's attendance won't be an issue if you guys are able to get ranked frequently and build something similar to what TCU has done. I don't mean to create any kind of rift but I have friends all over the country and have met people from all walks of life and I can guarantee you that pretty much most of them except for maybe a few have never heard of SMU. This is why athletics is so important for a university's profile.

I agree with your points here. Long before my time at SMU, the school made it a priority to build a national brand. There are certainly pro/cons to the approach (vs. a more regional name). My point is that after playing TCU, Baylor, and residing in Dallas, if a North Texas person doesn't know who SMU is, then how is playing one more North Texas team really going to help? I would much rather use the game and play a team like Temple if SMU is trying to build its brand in Philly (just as an example). IMO, that’s exactly what your athletics program is for!

BigPonyFan, my problem is that coming on here to find information on a player SMU is recruiting is one thing, but doing it when the player has already committed to us reeks of trying to rub our nose in it. You want to know about Walling? Go to Rivals, Scout or some other website that provides that information. Don't come on here acting like you want to learn about one of our recruits because your school hopes to steal him.

Outside of that, you seem alright although I will never care about SMU, and have a tough time believing your attendance figures, not believing our schools don't benefit playing each other or believing your school will ever be anything other than a bottom rung Big East school. Blunt, but true. Happy New Year.

Sorry I'm not as accommodating as others on here, but SMU is really the only team/school I feel this way about.

Again, sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately, SMU was hot after 4-5 Juco guys and Chase wasn't really on the fan radar until recently. I do have a Rivals subscription, but not one for UNT. Was just trying to learn who the guy is. Trust me, SMU is no stranger to de-commits. You just roll with it. Would love to invite you out to the Boulevard this year so perhaps you can warm to SMU a bit. If the scheduling works, I would love to have you out as my guest.

I'll take you up on you offer when we play at Ford. I don't live in the Metroplex and can only commit to driving the 5 hours one way to see North Texas. I appreciate the offer, I just have had poor experiences with SMU and SMU fans in the past. I'll provide the same offer to any NT game this year or when SMU plays at Apogee in the future, but when the niceties end while the game is being played.

I'll take you up on you offer when we play at Ford. I don't live in the Metroplex and can only commit to driving the 5 hours one way to see North Texas. I appreciate the offer, I just have had poor experiences with SMU and SMU fans in the past. I'll provide the same offer to any NT game this year or when SMU plays at Apogee in the future, but when the niceties end while the game is being played.

I agree with this. At the 2007 game, we were called fa**ots by a bunch of SMU students dressed like they were having an Easter Sunday croquet match. Pastel polos with plaid shorts and loafers with no socks. I remember thinking, "you're wearing that to a football game and you are calling us fa*g*ts?".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with this. At the 2007 game, we were called fa**ots by a bunch of SMU students dressed like they were having an Easter Sunday croquet match. Pastel polos with plaid shorts and loafers with no socks. I remember thinking, "you're wearing that to a football game and you are calling us fa*g*ts?".

LOL...that's funny (not that it happened, but your response). Please just kindly remember that nearly 1/2 of the SMU population today are graduate students that don't resemble anything close to that image. A few "fans" shouldn't sway popular opinion (good or bad).

I'm not wrong about the number of tickets scanned. I'm not sure how UNT's priority point system works (or if there is one), but at SMU each ticket scanned is 1 point. I know many at SMU will scan their tickets and then return to the Boulevard at some point before the game is over. My point was that SMU isn't lying about the numbers scanned. It's just that they have no way of realistically inventorying the attrition. I went to every game and for most games it was 18-19k by half (15-16k by end of game). To say that 22k didn't come into the stadium is false.

Dude, you have got to stop believing everything you read. The "reported numbers" are always going to be different than the actual attendance. Chuck Neinas made sure we counted our attendance correctly this season, barring the last game.

Here is another problem with SMU people, when they're flat wrong, they just deny it, same with the cheating. Where are the photos of these crowds? Or is your athletic department is constant damage control to make sure they don't get out?

Is it wrong to dress up for a game?? I have Kelly Green pants and a Kelly Green Blazer, I dont wear them together but there is nothing wrong with dressing up to a game... Im sure you think girls wearing sun dress to games is tacky too

Is it wrong to dress up for a game?? I have Kelly Green pants and a Kelly Green Blazer, I dont wear them together but there is nothing wrong with dressing up to a game... Im sure you think girls wearing sun dress to games is tacky too

Do you spike up your hair and pop you collar? If not, you are in the clear.

• Upvote 1

Kelly green pants and blazers are not what I was referring to. Pink polos are not SMU colors and I think loafers should be outlawed at football games.

Girls can wear anything they want.

Edited by Cr1028

Dressing up is all good and well.... however wearing pastels and loafers is not dressing up... it is douching up. Don't be defensive.

Nothing wrong with wearing pink polo's or pink shirts. I probably wouldn't wear that to a UNT game but it's not a big deal if they do. Now popping up the collar...yes that is beyond ridiculous and I don't have a problem with spiking the hair...to each their own when it comes to that.

Edit: And if you want to wear loafers...I don't have much issue with that myself...I never am a fan of people wearing them without socks to begin with but the issue here probably wasn't what they were wearing but rather how those particular gentlemen acted towards you.

Edited by Green Mean

Since when were SMU's school colors pink and lavender?

• Upvote 1

This thread is the logical next step when you spend years of time entertaining uniform talk. You know all those fears/arguments made about how gay weddings would decay the institution of marriage? Well, replace gay weddings with uniform talk and marriage with a football message board and you'll see exactly how this corruption works above. Don't argue - it's science.

• Upvote 5

This thread is the logical next step when you spend years of time entertaining uniform talk. You know all those fears/arguments made about how gay weddings would decay the institution of marriage? Well, replace gay weddings with uniform talk and marriage with a football message board and you'll see exactly how this corruption works above. Don't argue - it's science.

What are you a f**kin expert?

• Downvote 1

I would guess how you dress up or down for a football game is a generation thing. If the weathers is nice I might wear a UNT green polo/golf shirt or a green "button-down"(I know, waaaaay outta style)shirt, and (hold on to your hat!) LOAFERS! With or without the penny slot!

If it's cold or rainy, I'll wear jeans and Nike's. But, you know what? No matter what I wear I still count in the attendance numbers at the games.

Some of you people are ridiculous. Five pages on a recruit that might end up at Smut. We'll find someone else.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2