Chase Walling update

Brett Vito

He hasn't gone anywhere yet, but he may look at our depth chart and decide to go. I hope he sticks, but find it funny that SMUt is trying to steal our recruits. I guess if he wants to sign with a school whose coach is looking elsewhere and will play in a far off conference, then more power to him. My gut says he honors his word and stays.

• Upvote 2

I will wait and see. I just don't see SMU getting some big attendance push when Connecticut comes to Dallas to play football. SMU will still have about 10,000 local fans and who is UConn going to bring? The Big East may be a BcS conference, but they are doing all they can to hang on. It will probably survive on basketball alone, but the Big East doesn't bring anything to the BcS Football table.

I just think the young man will be true to his word, unlike the SMU Coach, and will honor his commitment to us. Maybe I'm showing my age, but it would be nice to see someone stand by their word and put in the effort to build something that will become bigger than SMU in the long run.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well, it may be a far-off conference but it is a much better conference. If you go to SMU, your family can watch half your games in Dallas and one road game every other year in Houston. And those games in Dallas will gain a lot more interest than FAU and ULM.

Face it, we may not like it, but going to the Big East is certainly not a bad thing for their recruiting. We are going to lose some because of it.

I don't think any of the schools in the BE football wise will draw anymore fans than they currently get to games. And those teams aren't going to be bringing any fans to games almost 2,000 miles away. I for one don't really care if this kid goes to SMU, he won't be cracking the two deep in the next few years anyway. O-line is probably our strongest group. We need DB's, DT's or QB's.

• Upvote 1

SMU's program is way above NT's right now, that is a fact. Frankly, I don't have a lot of use for players who go back on their commits but it happens to every school. I can see it when there is a coaching change but in this case, Walling is one of SMU's second tier recruits that a position came open for. I would guess McCarney's appeal is much greater than Mr. Hawaii's, but a Belt school is going to lose most of these contests.

• Upvote 2

SMU is ahead of UNT, but not by a lot. I think we have a good chance of hanging on to this kid, if we get into the new MWC/C-USA conference. Even if SMU steals this kid, I like our chances against them, when the series begins. McCarney is the real deal. I can really see UNT making some noise in another year or two.

• Upvote 1

SMU's program is way above NT's right now, that is a fact. Frankly, I don't have a lot of use for players who go back on their commits but it happens to every school. I can see it when there is a coaching change but in this case, Walling is one of SMU's second tier recruits that a position came open for. I would guess McCarney's appeal is much greater than Mr. Hawaii's, but a Belt school is going to lose most of these contests.

While I wish Chase was a sure thing commit with us I can't say I'm disgruntled about that. I think it is a two way street as it goes both ways. Coaches can come in and deny scholarships and offers to athletes not to mention they can also leave a program for greener pastures without any hesitation and regard for the players. I just believe every party in this thing is looking out for their best interest and Chase is doing the same. I hope he stays with his commitment and comes to UNT but if he decides to go to SMU then more power to him and good luck. You win some you lose some.

• Upvote 1

While I wish Chase was a sure thing commit with us I can't say I'm disgruntled about that. I think it is a two way street as it goes both ways. Coaches can come in and deny scholarships and offers to athletes not to mention they can also leave a program for greener pastures without any hesitation and regard for the players. I just believe every party in this thing is looking out for their best interest and Chase is doing the same. I hope he stays with his commitment and comes to UNT but if he decides to go to SMU then more power to him and good luck. You win some you lose some.

Good post GM.

Actually, most schools and players stay with their commits, if they didn't there would not be any use of going through the process. Seldom, does a coach not honor a commit. It is more common with players particularly with recruits who commit then later get what they perceive as a better opportunity. Obviously, recruiting is a dog eat dog process, it may be just me but people even eighteen year-olds should honor their word. I am also aware that NT as much as anyone else goes after other school's commits. As for as being disgruntled, I am not sure why anyone should take recruiting too seriously. Chase may turn out to be a difference maker or he may not be a factor at either school. NT will lose some and gain some, on a net basis it will take years to determine if they gain or lost and at that point no one will care.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think any of the schools in the BE football wise will draw anymore fans than they currently get to games. And those teams aren't going to be bringing any fans to games almost 2,000 miles away. I for one don't really care if this kid goes to SMU, he won't be cracking the two deep in the next few years anyway. O-line is probably our strongest group. We need DB's, DT's or QB's.

Initially attendance will probably spike, because of the new conference appeal. When the new car smell is gone, they'll be back to their typical attendance...

• Upvote 1

Initially attendance will probably spike, because of the new conference appeal. When the new car smell is gone, they'll be back to their typical attendance...

Who is it going to spike for SD State? Boise State? Maybe and then after the 40+ point loss then what? Houston and UCF have been in the same conference with them and nobody comes, so just because it is in a difference conference all of the sudden people are going to show up? Is a game against Rutgers going to generate more excitement than a game against Tulsa or USM? I just don't see it I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I will wait and see. I just don't see SMU getting some big attendance push when Connecticut comes to Dallas to play football. SMU will still have about 10,000 local fans and who is UConn going to bring? The Big East may be a BcS conference, but they are doing all they can to hang on. It will probably survive on basketball alone, but the Big East doesn't bring anything to the BcS Football table.

I just think the young man will be true to his word, unlike the SMU Coach, and will honor his commitment to us. Maybe I'm showing my age, but it would be nice to see someone stand by their word and put in the effort to build something that will become bigger than SMU in the long run.

10,000 local fans is more than what we have.... I dont really know why everyone talks about their fan base, its just as bad as ours

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

10,000 local fans is more than what we have.... I dont really know why everyone talks about their fan base, its just as bad as ours

SMU's 10,000 local fans includes students. Our's, including students, coming off a bad era is more than what they have. SMU will always only average 15,000 while we will continue to grow with Coach Mac and the program headed in the right direction. Hell, we drew more than SMU while SMU was going to bowls and we were watching TD win 6 games in 4 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

SMU's 10,000 local fans includes students. Our's, including students, coming off a bad era is more than what they have. SMU will always only average 15,000 while we will continue to grow with Coach Mac and the program headed in the right direction. Hell, we drew more than SMU while SMU was going to bowls and we were watching TD win 6 games in 4 years.

Everyone talks about how SMU numbers arnt true... If you went to MTSU game was there 15962 in attendence... Or the FAU game of 13142.. Please there wasnt even 1000 people at either of those games

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 14

I was at the FAU game, and to claim there wasn't 1,000 people at that game is ridiculous. I didn't make the MTSU game, but it is obvious we fudged those numbers. This is the first year I would say that has happened considering they were pretty accurate with the count at Fouts. You can say we didn't have the numbers reported, but stating that there was only 1,000 in attendance is ridiculous.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Bingo! If he comes to NT that is awesome and welcome to the family. If not, no reason discussing “what-ifs” or what “could be”. We all (NT alums) can see the merits of a UNT over SMU, but those arguments will take time to permeate their way into Texas high school football.

McCarney knows this having gone through the same thing at Iowa St. and recruiting against in state Iowa as well as the Big 10 in the Midwest and the rest of the Big 8 previously. The foundation is being laid, but it will take time for him to solidify UNT as top 2, 3 or 4 destination for Texas high school recruits.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I hope Chase Walling stays with North Texas. If Walling decommits, that is his business.

I am sure the staff has other OL prospects available, that NT fans do not know.

Prospects do change their minds on their college choice.

I am impressed with the way the staff can have prospects de-commit from other programs, then commit

to North Texas. Under Coach McCarney's watch, these players changed their commitment.

1. TE Andrew Power, was commited to Tennessee

2. Safety Kerry Swarn, was commited to Arizona

3. CB Freddie Warner, was commited to Texas Tech

4. WR Chaz Sampson, was commited to Tulsa

5. CB Dequarius Johnson, was commited to Akron

There are North Texas prospects that have commited to other programs.

Maybe the coaching staff can gain a few de-commitments before recruiting ends in Feburary.

• Upvote 5

Actually, most schools and players stay with their commits, if they didn't there would not be any use of going through the process. Seldom, does a coach not honor a commit. It is more common with players particularly with recruits who commit then later get what they perceive as a better opportunity. Obviously, recruiting is a dog eat dog process, it may be just me but people even eighteen year-olds should honor their word. I am also aware that NT as much as anyone else goes after other school's commits. As for as being disgruntled, I am not sure why anyone should take recruiting too seriously. Chase may turn out to be a difference maker or he may not be a factor at either school. NT will lose some and gain some, on a net basis it will take years to determine if they gain or lost and at that point no one will care.

You're right it isn't very common but I think it is tougher to be in a recruit's position than a recruiter's. Once you sign and go to school than more than likely you're there for the 4 or 5 years. Hypothetically sure if you wanna transfer then you still have to sit out a year and go through that beat down. I just think it is more easier for a coach not to honor a commitment or leave/get fired than having a recruit make a decision where he wants to spend the next 4+ years of his life.

All that said I hope Chase makes the decision that is best for him and him only. I just hope it is at UNT rather than SMU or any other school for that matter.

• Upvote 1

There are so MANY reasons to poke at SMU, but saying there are "10,000" fans make you look ridiculous, Lifer. This year the average will be around 22k, and that's without a "big game" on the schedule. The home side is almost always full (which is 13,000 +/-). Plus, there are students, visitors, Stadium Club, and the grassy knoll (which is popular and usually pretty full). You're just flat out wrong!

There are two things that lead to the misinformation about numbers.

1) Those numbers are tickets scanned + students. Now, SMU (unfortunately) doesn't allow re-entry so some do scan his/her tickets and then return to the boulevard before the game is over (how do you remove them from your numbers??).

2) They always show the visitor side on TV, which is usually somewhat empty. Ford looks strangely unbalanced as half is packed and the other is pretty empty (unless we're playing TCU, Navy, etc.).

I understand why SMU haters on the UNT board propagate this lie (and it is a LIE). You just lose all credibility when you repeat it over and over and over. Get some new material.

Edited by BigPonyFan
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3