The Only Hope I have Now...

ColoradoEagle

I still think there can be a slight turnaround the rest of the season. There's still 7 games to go. It's clear the Belt on the whole is pretty bad this year so there are some games to be won if they can find ways to improve. And we know FIU is turning out to be fools gold as far as how good they really are.

O'Leary's first year at UCF 0-11

June Jones' first year at SMU 1-11

That's honestly it at this point. I will be the FAU game, but my second season ticket will be unused. I refuse to subject anyone I know to football this bad.

Don't subject your self to it then with that attitude. We still have Belt play left, and I have confidence in this team to still turn it around.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I still think there can be a slight turnaround the rest of the season. There's still 7 games to go. It's clear the Belt on the whole is pretty bad this year so there are some games to be won if they can find ways to improve. And we know FIU is turning out to be fools gold as far as how good they really are.

The Belt is winning OOC games left and right - the conference went 2-0 against CUSA today. It is also ranked higher than it has been for several years. Not sure how FIU could be considered fools gold, they are a young team that lost by 4 in a sold out stadium with a national audience and the freaking Goodyear blimp flying overhead. Never seen something like that for a Belt game before... MUTS beat Memphis, as they should. Troy beat UAB, as they should.

• Upvote 1

The Belt is winning OOC games left and right - the conference went 2-0 against CUSA today. It is also ranked higher than it has been for several years. Not sure how FIU could be considered fools gold, they are a young team that lost by 4 in a sold out stadium with a national audience and the freaking Goodyear blimp flying overhead. Never seen something like that for a Belt game before... MUTS beat Memphis, as they should. Troy beat UAB, as they should.

Uh, wouldn't that be 2-1?

The Belt could be trouncing the Big 12 and some would say the Belt is down. We stand a chance, but the Belt is up brothers and sisters. We need to come prepared to compete with FAU. I bet we will.

GMG

NT was a 23 point underdog to Tulsa, and NT played the part. NT has played 3 oc teams better than anyone in the Belt and has a record of 1-4 which is were most though they would be at this point.

Who ever thinks the Belt is good this year is not paying attention. There is no reason, NT cannot win every game left on their schedule. FIU in my opinion is stil the class of the Belt but already has one conference loss. ULL has the best record in the league with wins over Nicholls St, Kent State, FAU (in a nail bitter) and a handicaped FIU. Troy struggled to beat a winless UAB. Likewise ASU barely beat winless WKU.

At this point there is not a Belt team with the possible exception of FIU that would scare anyone. The other teams look all about even. If NT plays like they did against Indiana for three quarters, they can beat any of them. Furthermore, a Tulsa like game would keep NT close to most of the Belt.

I can't believe so many seem to be giving up on the season, when NT is exactly were most projected and the Belt is as weak has it appears.

Uh, wouldn't that be 2-1?

Whoops, my bad. LOL. But I have been really impressed with the Belt pulling off those wins that would have escaped them in the past. Only one serious screw up, where we lost to an inferior team (WKU vs an FCS) - but with several new coaches the Belt looks pretty good this year. And attendance is up around the league, big time. I know that we should not settle for averaging 20k a game - but there are other conferences (i.e. the WAC) where teams are struggling to get 10K a game.

NT was a 23 point underdog to Tulsa, and NT played the part. NT has played 3 oc teams better than anyone in the Belt and has a record of 1-4 which is were most though they would be at this point.

Who ever thinks the Belt is good this year is not paying attention. There is no reason, NT cannot win every game left on their schedule. FIU in my opinion is stil the class of the Belt but already has one conference loss. ULL has the best record in the league with wins over Nicholls St, Kent State, FAU (in a nail bitter) and a handicaped FIU. Troy struggled to beat a winless UAB. Likewise ASU barely beat winless WKU.

At this point there is not a Belt team with the possible exception of FIU that would scare anyone. The other teams look all about even. If NT plays like they did against Indiana for three quarters, they can beat any of them. Furthermore, a Tulsa like game would keep NT close to most of the Belt.

I can't believe so many seem to be giving up on the season, when NT is exactly were most projected and the Belt is as weak has it appears.

Blame it on the Sunday morning hangover from another spanking by a mediocre regional team.

But, you are dead on, here. Memphis is on the same level as Indiana (if not worse) and MTSU barely got by them. Troy barely got by MTSU last week. LaLa barely gets by WKU this week. FIU loses to Duke (mark it down, they will lose anither conference game). This thing is wide open.

The problem is we are not as good as we played against Indiana. Simply put, we will continue to make mistakes due to inexpience at some positions and lack of talent at others. Anything better than 4-3 in the remaining games would be a miracle.

The good thing is many games will be close.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

O'Leary's first year at UCF 0-11

June Jones' first year at SMU 1-11

That's honestly it at this point. I will be the FAU game, but my second season ticket will be unused. I refuse to subject anyone I know to football this bad.

if you aren't going to use your ticket, i've got people that want to come to the game...

• Upvote 2

I don't mean to be too optimistic; but the glass is half full for me.

We played Tulsa to a 17 point ballgame despite the following:

• 2 "Pick Six" INT for Touchdowns by Inexperienced QB
  • Having posession on Tulsa 3 YD Line and getting 0 points
  • Having prime field position inside Tulsa 15 and going backwards
  • Blocking a punt on Tulsa 38 and getting 0 points

Not to "What-If" too many things, but if you take those into consideration that ballgame is closer than what it seems. Tulsa is a very good football team who should win 7-8 games and be in the C-USA hunt.

I believe any game from here on out is winnable; and that there is some progress every week.

Look, it was disappointing...not so much that UNT lost, but that the D gave up over 40 points again. But, this is EXACTLY where I thought UNT might be after these first games, and I am more than fine with the way the team is progressing. And, yes, it is progressing. You take the two int TD's away and the score doesn't look all that bad, does it? McNulty is a true freshman and it shows, but it is all good for the future of the QB position and the team. If you thought UNT was going to have three or even 2 wins after this beginning schedule, well, at least you were positive. i was hopeful for two, but it just wasn't to be.

To give up on this team, to talk about how bad the team is, to indicate that you would not want to bring others to the games, is just wrong on so many levels for any member of the Mean green nation. I get it...it's a downer to keep the losing going, but the time is now that the change will come.

Please do not get discouraged...Coach Mac and this team are working very hard to improve every week, and they need YOU, ME and every other true fan of the Mean green to show up, to bring friends and to keep the faith. I will, I trust you will as well after you get over the disappointment.

• Upvote 1

'Are you kidding me?' The attitude that we shouldn't get blown out by a team that likely finishes the year 6-6? Don't pretend to know me and my involvement with NT athletics.

Just because this message board is somewhat anonymous doesn't give you the right to be a complete jerkoff.

Hey CE, I know here goes ol Fry talk PMG again, but in Fry's 2'nd year we won "ONLY" 2 games, the next year we would beat Houston and Tennessee and North Texas would literally become the toast of that winter's NCAA Football Convention. Most of us kept that bowl talk for UNT this Fall in perspective and funnny thing is....we still have a chance to get 6 wins even though most of us have said Coach BillMac will start turning this thing around in (probably) Year 3. Anything earlier is a bonus.

I have this next Saturday off because of a trade-off I gave another fellow DJ and nothing will keep me from UNT's Apogee Stadium Tent Revival. That place energizes this 60 yo NT Ex like I never thought it could or would. When they start playing Zombie Nation over Apogee's Super Sound System I feel like jumping out on the stadium floor in my lime green speedos and gyrating like no other 60 year old can (or should even try).

And I leave that last sentence for all of you reading this to add to your visual of the day.:coldb::sick:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Look, it was disappointing...not so much that UNT lost, but that the D gave up over 40 points again. But, this is EXACTLY where I thought UNT might be after these first games, and I am more than fine with the way the team is progressing. And, yes, it is progressing. You take the two int TD's away and the score doesn't look all that bad, does it? McNulty is a true freshman and it shows, but it is all good for the future of the QB position and the team. If you thought UNT was going to have three or even 2 wins after this beginning schedule, well, at least you were positive. i was hopeful for two, but it just wasn't to be.

To give up on this team, to talk about how bad the team is, to indicate that you would not want to bring others to the games, is just wrong on so many levels for any member of the Mean green nation. I get it...it's a downer to keep the losing going, but the time is now that the change will come.

Please do not get discouraged...Coach Mac and this team are working very hard to improve every week, and they need YOU, ME and every other true fan of the Mean green to show up, to bring friends and to keep the faith. I will, I trust you will as well after you get over the disappointment.

as for the defense, doesn't it only count 26 or 28 against them since 2 tds were results of int returns?

• Upvote 1

I hate it when people use this excuse. If only the hadn't thrown 2 interceptions? If only they hadn't scored so many points? If only we had converted on 4th down? Well guess what??? That IS WHAT HAPPENED! Its stupid to say lets "pretend" that something didn't happen to make yourself feel better. What, are you just going to blissfully ignore it? You have to look right at your mistakes and point them out, that is the only way to improve. Not by pretending they didn't happen.

People on this board feel like you can't say we played bad, like there has to be a positive outcome. Like its taboo to say we sucked. We showed we could play better and instead played worse this game. I am fine with team's having more talent and executing well, they did their job. What gets me is when we leave players wide open on every play, and can't wrap up a tackle. Thats on us. Don't sugar coat things and hide our mistakes.

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Come on, now.

We only lost by the margin bexause of the junk points at the end of the game

The score was not indicative of how competitive we were. We equaled them in yards gained (although they did it way quicker than us). We had two chances inside the 5 and came away with nothing. Also, two INT's for TD that probably would not have happened if Osborn or Thompson had been playing. I'm not knocking Mcnulty because he is after all a true freshman, but they (at least to me) looked like true freshman throws that probably would not have been made by either of the other QB's. We could have had that game close going into the fourth quarter. We didn't, and it is what it is, but the final score was more indicative of the type of game it was than 41-3 would have been.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Then we beat the spread. 41-24=17.

The score was not indicative of how competitive we were. We equaled them in yards gained (although they did it way quicker than us). We had two chances inside the 5 and came away with nothing. Also, two INT's for TD that probably would not have happened if Osborn or Thompson had been playing. I'm not knocking Mcnulty because he is after all a true freshman, but they (at least to me) looked like true freshman throws that probably would not have been made by either of the other QB's. We could have had that game close going into the fourth quarter. We didn't, and it is what it is, but the final score was more indicative of the type of game it was than 41-3 would have been.

Copy and paste this post to any loss in the Dodge era.

So looking forward to the day we get past that.

• Upvote 3