Mean Green fans flock to Apogee Stadium for debut

Harry

A sea of green sprinkled with red filtered in from all over the University of North Texas campus Saturday, across the North Texas Boulevard bridge and into the new Apogee Stadium to see UNT play the University of Houston.

Some Mean Green fans were willing to pay extra to park near the stadium while others decided to park farther away and walk.

“You’ve got to pay extra for it,” Steve Baker said.

He said it was easy to get off Interstate 35W and into the stadium.

Clad in green, UNT student Kelly Lamb and Philip Namor rode the A-train in from Dallas and walked the more than three miles to the stadium.

“I looked at the [parking] maps, and it was just crazy,” Lamb said.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/DRC_stadium_0911.1518de244.html

i got their at 8... parked, set up my tailgate... it was possibly the most glorious day of my life

i agree! we were there by 1030...no issues...picked out our prime spot for the year. parking was fabulous!!! in reality, preferred parking (red/blue lot) really isn't expensive.

I agree the parking is horrible. Why did they not make more parking on the side of the highway where the stadium is ? Its not the easiest thing to do to walk that far with a 5 year old and 7 year old not to mention crossing over I-35. Ridiculous.

next year, there will be a dedicated walking bridge...will that make it easier? i don't have a problem with the parking. we all knew what it would be like and could donate a small amount to the university to have the privilege of parking at the stadium.

I agree the parking is horrible. Why did they not make more parking on the side of the highway where the stadium is ? Its not the easiest thing to do to walk that far with a 5 year old and 7 year old not to mention crossing over I-35. Ridiculous.

I had no problem with the parking, but I also have a red lot parking pass. Next season we will have the pedestrian bridge and hopefully down the road, a parking garage between the super pit, murchison, and bridge to the village.

I don't want to sound like I don't care. I really want fans to all have front row tickets and the best experience possible. I like having the green space and the village around the stadium and really wouldn't prefer all concrete parking lots. I also like that the athletic dept. has created incentive to give money.

Anytime you crush 30,000 people into one place, it's just not possible for everyone to have the perfect parking situation.

Also, it's game 1. Things will get better and more routine. I don't know why there isn't more understanding about the parking issue.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I was fairly surprised myself at how little issues there were with the parking and traffic. As said above, things will get better as they work out kinks that you really can't predict so I fully expect it to be even better next home game and that says a lot, because it was pretty good for the first game.

• Upvote 1

I parked on campus like always, made the fifteen to twenty minute walk, and could not have been happier. It baffles me how pleased I was with every aspect of the experience, just to log on and see all the complaining.

Some people will never be happy. Probably the same people who complained when Dickey was winning championships, but didn't like his boring offense.

• Upvote 2

got to the fouts lot at 11:30 or so....parked....and took the cooler and walked over to the hill for tailgating...it was only a 10 min walk...not a big deal at all...only kinda bad thing was on the walk back...the only path that was lit up was the main road....a bunch of people walked through the grass near the old hotel lot and it wasnt lit up...some dude i think broke his ankle right in front of me cause he couldnt see...but it probably wasnt an area we should have walked.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just so you know...

I have a son who is an alum and is now at HSC in FW and was studying until 4pm so could not get there any earlier.

He and his girl friend (a current Denton MA student), drove up from Cowtown and tried to park at 5:30pm in Fouts ... NO WAY! They had to park way out to the east of Campus about half way to downtown.

While they were walking over the NT BLVD bridge, there was one older person sitting on the ground with a walking frame and family assisting. Police and CSC staff were ignoring them. My son is a medical student, HE helped them and organized getting the woman with the walking frame under control and over to the stadium.

They were told by someone else that at least one person had also fainted on a bus earlier in the afternoon.

I had also walked over from Apogee to Fouts at about 3pm to meet with a friend who was tailgating in Fouts. Even though I was ok with the walk there and back, it was hot and I had have a drink once I got over there (of course), or I'd have been really pooped once I got back to my Apogee TG site. I am in my mid-50's and not too unfit... Younger NT fans are going to be ok with that walk - it'll be a non-issue if you are under 60 and fit, otherwise, not to be advised...

Older (like over 65) and less mobile NT fans are not used to having to walk the distances involved with the new stadium, so will have to find alternatives if they are not up to the walk. Probably means they will stay home and listen on the MGRN, after all, if you have a fixed income, you may not be able to afford the club membership.

I know that other stadiums involve this kind of walk etc, etc, but they are not UNT. We have lowered our standards to the level of the others "because they do it that way".

My conclusion is that it seems that age and mobility discrimination is alive and well in Denton.

Edited by bjrichus
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

Just so you know...

I have a son who is an alum and is now at HSC in FW and was studying until 4pm so could not get there any earlier.

He and his girl friend (a current Denton MA student), drove up from Cowtown and tried to park at 5:30pm in Fouts ... NO WAY! They had to park way out to the east of Campus about half way to downtown.

While they were walking over the NT BLVD bridge, there was one older person sitting on the ground with a walking frame and family assisting. Police and CSC staff were ignoring them. My son is a medical student, HE helped them and organized getting the woman with the walking frame under control and over to the stadium.

They were told by someone else that at least one person had also fainted on a bus earlier in the afternoon.

I had also walked over from Apogee to Fouts at about 3pm to meet with a friend who was tailgating in Fouts. Even though I was ok with the walk there and back, it was hot and I had have a drink once I got over there (of course), or I'd have been really pooped once I got back to my Apogee TG site. I am in my mid-50's and not too unfit... Younger NT fans are going to be ok with that walk - it'll be a non-issue if you are under 60 and fit, otherwise, not to be advised...

Older (like over 65) and less mobile NT fans are not used to having to walk the distances involved with the new stadium, so will have to find alternatives if they are not up to the walk. Probably means they will stay home and listen on the MGRN, after all, if you have a fixed income, you may not be able to afford the club membership.

I know that other stadiums involve this kind of walk etc, etc, but they are not UNT. We have lowered our standards to the level of the others "because they do it that way".

My conclusion is that it seems that age and mobility discrimination is alive and well in Denton.

Come on now. Buses were running for the disabled. Saw them all afternoon. Also, you don't have to be a club seat holder to get a red/blue parking pass, just a member of the mean green club and a season ticket holder. Donor levels start at a pretty mOderate level ($150 or $250). That should be manageable for any person that is 60 years old. If not, they probably shouldnt be spending their money on college football, anyway.

I, for one, am glad this program has finally reached a pre-Pubecent level. With that comes a little bit of acne. A minor price to pay.

• Upvote 5

Just so you know...

At the risk of sounding insensitive, people need to be smart about what they are doing and know their limitations. I spent some time with my son in First Aid at Apogee due to a Kid Zone injury and listened to the EMT give the limitations lecture to many folks.

There were some alternatives for folks in the physical condition referenced above. From the Apogee FAQ:

ADA/Handicapped parking; where can I park and how close to Apogee Stadium can I get?

Handicap parking is available on a first-come, first served basis throughout campus. Handicapped pickup service will be available at Fouts Field for those needing ADA assistance on one additional accompanying person.

I heard the pedicab folks were going to be there. Did they not show up? I can't speak to the reaction of the police and CSC staff because I didn't witness what the writer above wrote about, though it sounds like they weren't there to witness it either.

I wouldn't tie age into it like was done above either. My dad is in his 70's and could have easily made that walk, but he is also very active (hunting, golfing, etc.). You gotta be smart and drink plenty of water of course.

Just my thoughts. Let's be careful out there and GO MEAN GREEN!

Just so you know...

Wait, what?

I parked in the Green 3 lot. Got there just before 2PM...had ABSOLUTELY ZERO problems getting into the lot. Left the game pretty soon after it ended...got to my car and was home (SW Denton) in 15 min. Less time than it took me to get home from Fouts.

For all the folks who complain about the lack of parking at the new stadium...let me re-say what has been said many times before...THERE ARE MORE PARKING SPACES AT THE NEW STADIUM THAN AT FOUTS!

Supporting a program does have some perks. One of them is a bit closer parking. If you parked too far away, consider joining the Mean Green Club (starts at $125) and buying season tickets. The casual "game or two" a year fan should not expect to park "up close and convenient". It's not just at UNT, but at every D1 program i have ever been associated with in my many years of following college football.

Now, I will say that the handicapped parking situation needs a bit of review. Talked with one couple who have blue lot parking and there is simply no way for a person with any challenges walking to be able to get from the blue lot to the Alumni Pavilion without some challenges. I recommended that they contact the Athletic dept. this week and see what could be arranged. The shuttles looked to be doing a very good job getting people who needed assistance to the front of the stadium. Maybe there needs to be a bit more "notice" of how that works, and I am certain some things will get tweaked...it was the first game, right?

I was very impressed by the lack of traffic and parking issues based on the "armageddon" predictions that folks were throwing around. It might take a game or two (and next year will be even better), but it will all get worked out and everyone will fall into a regular game day routine which will also help a great deal. It was the first time for every fan, every alum, every cop, every parking and stadium attendant and for every member of the athletic staff. All in all...BRAVO to one and all.

• Upvote 1

I was very impressed by the lack of traffic and parking issues based on the "armageddon" predictions that folks were throwing around. It might take a game or two (and next year will be even better), but it will all get worked out and everyone will fall into a regular game day routine which will also help a great deal. It was the first time for every fan, every alum, every cop, every parking and stadium attendant and for every member of the athletic staff. All in all...BRAVO to one and all.

Maybe when the pedestrian bridge gets built it will allow the southbound access road to be opened so that you can get on I35E easier. I drove to University then to Fort Worth Drive to bypass the I35E slowdown. I ended up beating my dad home who left at the same time I did. :D

Widening Bonnie Brae will also go a long way to helping the flow of traffic, but that part is up to the city of Denton to get taken care of.

Keep in mind, the young lady quoted in this article "took one look at the parking map" and that it was going to be terrible. How about writing an article about what a great job UNT Police and the CSC staff did planning this out and executing it on game day. I arrived around 2:15pm and didn't have one delay getting into the red/blue lots. We were parked and set up by 2:30pm. The exit was even easier as we exited the drive where everyone was walking back to Fouts and were on 35 in less than 5 minutes. The CSC staff that worked the lots and took our tickets were extremely nice and helpful. Those looking for something wrong will always find it, but the paper should have waited and written about what actually happened instead of writing about what one person thought would happen.

My one complaint was a UH fan that stood in the stairs/aisle then entire game that we had to ask to move every time we went up for concessions or the restroom. She looked irritated with me, at which I responded, "Maybe if you weren't standing in the aisle this wouldn't be a problem. The CSC staff at the top of the stairs never did anything.

My minor complaint(s) would be the time it took to get concessions. The lines moved incredibly slow. #2 would be the referree's audio. That should have been tested and retested prior to the game. Those two minor issues can be corrected and were far, far too minor to put a damper on the opening of a fabulous venue.

• Upvote 1

Saturday was an eye opening experience for me. I expected the stadium to be great...but the entire Athletic Village just blew me away. The red/blue parking lots that look to have been cut to perfectly run alongside an old par 5 from the golf course was just brilliant. The view, from just the parking lot, of the hill and all the various spots for people to tailgate/picnic is awesome. The circle drive cut into the hill to provide an epicenter for the whole scene...this place is just absolutely phenomenal. The AD left no stone unturned, and got so many "little" things right when planning this place.

Unbelievable job by the AD when you look at the whole scene, stadium:village:tailgating. This place is a program changer, folks.

• Upvote 2

We had an incredible time. Began tailgating at Fouts around 4 and loved mingling with the students. The walk to Apogee made me think "this looks like a real football game." Thousand of fans funneling into a UNT game, who would have thought it was possible. I sincerely hope that attendance stays up, but I have my doubts. It will take time to overcome student apathy. In fact, I heard a student call it "Apathy Stadium" (at least they know what the word means). I would hate to see concession and ticketing areas closed because of low attendance. Now it's up to the coaches and players to provide a reason for even the casual fan to show up.