Mike Leach to FAU

pastorgrant

Vito has a story on his blog today that Leach might end up at FAU. I personally think this would be great for us because it would make the Sunbelt stronger. If WKU stays on the path their recruiting suggests, FIU and Troy stay strong, FAU becomes a contender and UNT does what we all expect, that's a pretty strong league. I'm looking forward to seeing it all play out.

Sorry about the typos in the description, I'm working from my phone.

Edited by pastorgrant
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Like I stated in the original post, I don't think it will happen. It's certainly a possibility being that he lives there and it could be his way back in. IF it did happen I think it would, as Colorado said, bring attention to the league and raise the perception.

This Leach stuff will just not go away....As far as I am concerned...anybody except UNT...and Oklahoma State. Don't want to be associated with that guy in any fashion. Just sayin.....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I hope it happens.

And personally I don't think it's an impossibility. He got no offers this past offseason. He's no longer doing TV work. If FAU offers him $500,000 per....I'm not so sure he turns them down.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer more than what UNT offered McCarney. He would be a huge get for FAU. As for Leach, I have said that this is the type of job that I suspect he will get as his next coaching job. No big-time AQ team is going to hire him because of that ego. Leach lost out to Randy Edsall for the Maryland job, even though Leach had more success as a head coach in a much tougher league. He has non-AQ (or an AQ in REALLY bad shape, like Washington State) written all over him for his next job.

Jim Leavitt may have some say in this eventually, too, but I am sure that his lawsuit against another public institution in Florida may preclude him from getting that job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Consider the source. A two star WR verbals to FAU and makes a statement that he "thinks" Mike Leach is going to FAU and that is why he committed. Really?? It wasn't because you were a mediocre ranked player and that you had no other FBS offers? Is it that easy to start rumors around Leach? I am sorry.... I just cannot see him checking his ego within the next year and commit to coaching a Sunbelt Team (his perception...not mine).

It helps positively impact the perception of the SBC as a quality league. It would be great for the league schools--as has been the McCarney hire.

I think we're severely overrating the McCarney hire. Sure he's a respected coach but unless you're in Iowa or have some sort of connection to Mac nobody really knows the guy. Leach is known and recognizable nationwide. As for FAU getting him....I highly doubt it since he can get something a lot better. But if they do get him then more power to them...it greatly increases the perception of the league.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Consider the source. A two star WR verbals to FAU and makes a statement that he "thinks" Mike Leach is going to FAU and that is why he committed. Really?? It wasn't because you were a mediocre ranked player and that you had no other FBS offers? Is it that easy to start rumors around Leach? I am sorry.... I just cannot see him checking his ego within the next year and commit to coaching a Sunbelt Team (his perception...not mine).

You should listen to interviews with him. The only thing he wants is a school that is committed to athletics and has the facilities to sell recruits. Sound familiar? BCS big six conference is no where in his requirements.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1