Visiting Fans

Since no one has given many food suggestion, let me be of assistance.

-Fuzzy's Taco Shop, just off the Square. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu but go with fish tacos, amazing.

-El Guapos, mexican, very good food, south of the square

-Katz burgers, the best burgers by far in Denton...maybe in all of Texas?? It's on the opposite side of I-35 than the stadium. South of Eagle Dr.

-Jimmy Johns on Fry St. for great subs.

What am I missing guys??

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Tomato is 15 minutes up the road in Sanger....great pizza.

The Love Shack is much happiness...very cool venue, interesting burgers and a change of pace french fry. Near the square and a block from Roosters, Fuzzy's and a host of other new places.

Beth Maries has a location across from the Homewood Suites and there are other restaurant options out that way. Think Chuy's may be open by game day. Pour House is pretty good also and there is a good chinese place out there called Cafe China.

One of my favorite restaurants, nice bar also, is Hannah's. A bit upscale for a football weekend, but very good.

And if you want a good kolache, Kolache Haven off I-35 at FW Drive is good. Lots of sweet options next door at Candy Haven.

GMG

Here is a link to restaurants we'd love for you to support, many of which have already been brought up:

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=204958502

...and here are our hotel partners:

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=204958175

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

I'm a fan of the GreenHouse. They have a nice variety of food. Not far off the square.

Anyone been to the Love Shack? The menu looks like burgers and sandwiches, but I'm intrigued that it was opened by a celebrity chef who appeared on Top Chef Masters and beat Morimoto on Iron Chef America.

If you have not been to Love Shack yet, I suggest you go check it out. They have very good burgers and it has a pretty cool atmosphere too!

The Tomato is 15 minutes up the road in Sanger....great pizza.

The Love Shack is much happiness...very cool venue, interesting burgers and a change of pace french fry. Near the square and a block from Roosters, Fuzzy's and a host of other new places.

Beth Maries has a location across from the Homewood Suites and there are other restaurant options out that way. Think Chuy's may be open by game day. Pour House is pretty good also and there is a good chinese place out there called Cafe China.

One of my favorite restaurants, nice bar also, is Hannah's. A bit upscale for a football weekend, but very good.

And if you want a good kolache, Kolache Haven off I-35 at FW Drive is good. Lots of sweet options next door at Candy Haven.

GMG

Chuy's is indeed open, and the wait staff often wears shirts which have a modified SOW logo with a chile pepper in them.

Rudy's BBQ, Love Shack, Fuzzy's, Rooster's, Hooters...all of these are good for a quick football trip into town.

The only time I ever stay in Denton is when I spend the weekend for the Arts & Jazz Festival. I always stay at the Super 8 because it is very well kept and reasonable. It is strategically located right next to Rudy's, which is good for you Coogs, and only two or three exits off the freeway from the new stadium. I recommend it unless you are looking for upscale accommodations and some sort of entertainment within the hotel.

I see so many of ya'll recommending Fuzzy's. Are we sure we want Houston fans clogging up our nice brand new clean toilets with VIOLENT WHITE QUESO DIARRHEA?

We may as well send them to Pancho's if we want them eating mediocre chain restaurant food that is guaranteed to trigger montezuma's revenge.

I hope they bring plenty of this...

DeadCelebrities03.jpg

• Upvote 2

Since no one has given many food suggestion, let me be of assistance.

-Jimmy Johns on Fry St. for great subs.

What am I missing guys??

Umm...what about New York Subway (what is it now, Sub Hub??)...nobody eat there anymore? Is Jimmy Johns really better than a legend??

Tomato too far...thumbsd.gif

Texas Pickup Cafe gone...notfair.gif

State Club (LOVED those chicken tenders) gone....

BUT, the Smokehouse is still there on Ft. Worth Drive...really good BBQ thumbsu.gif

I see so many of ya'll recommending Fuzzy's. Are we sure we want Houston fans clogging up our nice brand new clean toilets with VIOLENT WHITE QUESO DIARRHEA?

We may as well send them to Pancho's if we want them eating mediocre chain restaurant food that is guaranteed to trigger montezuma's revenge.

I hope they bring plenty of this...

bingo

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Umm...what about New York Subway (what is it now, Sub Hub??)...nobody eat there anymore? Is Jimmy Johns really better than a legend??

Tomato too far...thumbsd.gif

Texas Pickup Cafe gone...notfair.gif

State Club (LOVED those chicken tenders) gone....

BUT, the Smokehouse is still there on Ft. Worth Drive...really good BBQ thumbsu.gif

Ah yes, how could I forget Sub Hub!! It's about even in my book, both are amazing!

I'm a fan of the GreenHouse. They have a nice variety of food. Not far off the square.

Anyone been to the Love Shack? The menu looks like burgers and sandwiches, but I'm intrigued that it was opened by a celebrity chef who appeared on Top Chef Masters and beat Morimoto on Iron Chef America.

Tim Love is a total tool. I have a really hard time supporting him.

Ate at Green House after the kickoff cookout because of many recommendations. Was really looking forward to it, but it was terrible. Service was horrible and the food was very average.

Fuzzys is owned by an NT Alum, so give your support to them.

Burgers: Denton County. Never been to the Love Shack

Mexican: Fuzzy's. Owner is a good guy.

Steaks: Traildust located abuot 10 miles east of town on highway 380.

"American": Sweetwater near the square.

BBQ: Metzler's and they have a great beer selection. Also a good place to stock up for your tailgate.

I have no frame of reference for the comment "Tim Love is a total tool". I will say that I have driven up from Richardson more than once just to eat at the Love Shack and it is worth the effort because the food is that good. If he is a tool, I don't have to meet him to enjoy the products of his kitchen. I have tried other highly-touted Dallas-area burger places like Scotty P's and JC's; they suck by comparison with the Love Shack. Haven't been able to try In-and-Out yet (can never get close enough and go elsewhere) but was told by someone who has that Whataburger is just as good.

IMHO.

Best burger places: Love Shack, Roosters, Denton Independent, RG's.

Best Mexican: Chuy's, El Guapos, Fuzzys.

I agree with the buger part of this statement. However, for authentic mexican food go the the Mazatlan or El Matador. The three listed are not authentic, but decent nonetheless, just not the best in Denton. NY Subway is a great sandwich place and Sweetwater is a great place to eat and drink as is the Loophole. Finish it off with some Beth Maries.

It was a good run of +'s for me but I fully realize the -1's I am about to invite.

Fuzzy's is a chain... and not even a good one.

The DFW area alone consists of 26 of them including the one in Sherman. The greater Houston area where our guests will be traveling from already has 3. In fact, the chain is as far north as Madison, WI and as far west as Tempe, AZ.

If we want to recommend Fuzzy's, we may as well also include Taco Cabana, Olive Garden, and Dairy Queen as a Denton Must-See attraction.

If we must recommend a chain with Dallas area headquarters, I would prefer we send them to Baja in Grapevine or Blue Goose in Highland Village for some quality mexican food. Our Fuzzy's is most likely supporting Fort Worth as much as it is Denton.

We are currently suffering through a local mexican food drought in Denton which Austin based Chuy's is not helping. I truly wish that either guapo's or mazatlan could resolve this issue but constantly finding small bones in every meal and not providing a good margarita has ruined their chances.

I'll stick with pushing Metzler's, Rooster's, and J&J's until a true mexican food contender can step up and be worthy of my recommendation. I just wish Casa Galaviz had more to offer than great breakfast burritos.

Love Shack is delicious and I'm proud the so-called "tool" owner is from here, but we are the 3rd and I have a terrible feeling that place will be all over the state in no time.

• Upvote 3