New uniforms

greenbird

The only time that I've had a real GUT FEELING of envy was when I attended the Memphis NO bowl game, and it was at a restaurant on Burbon st.

A middle aged man hopped up from one of the tables, made some sort of signal (I can remember if it was a hand or verbal signal) and then proceeded to do their T.I.G.E.R.S., TIGERS, TIGERS, TIGERS! yell. He got full and immediate participation from the other Memphis fans in the room. The man wasn't the least bit concerned that he might have been making a public spectacle of himself, or that he was doing something that was not "cool".

So just out of curiosity Silver, do you think the Athletic Dept. was responsible or had anything to do with those fans doing what they did?

And as for the original topic, as long as our uniforms have green and white in them, they'll look sweet...

• Upvote 2

FINALLY!! A couple of pics that add some degree of interest to this UNIFORM thread!!

Eagle91Gator95, I agree 100% with this thought.

But, did you also know that the executive director of the 50,000+ member strong U of Florida Alumni Association, one Danita Nias, is...wait for it....a 1981 graduate of the U. of Maryland???? I guess that means, according to Silver, that the U of Florida doesn't think they have a grad worthy or capable of being the executive director of its own Alumni Association. Or, could it be that they simply interviewd and hired the best candidate that they felt they had available within their pool of applicants? Could that be possible perhaps????

I wonder why FFR and Silver did not jump on a table and lead a yell of their own in New Orleans!

Does seem like that was the perfect time to start a new TRADITION.

We could have called it the New Orleans Restaurant Confrontation Cheer.

And it would have been started by 2 members of the alumni association. Problem solved.

Football season can't get here quicklly enough.

• Upvote 2

.... and the clipart eagle during the 90's and the daffy eagle with FFR's blue and copper, I have never really hated our uniforms.

That was Blue and Burnt Orange by the way. And not that i expect nor want anyone in administration making up our traditions, but for the record, that awful raping of our Alma Mater with the color change and the Daffy Eagle clip art was brought here by the AD at that time. Also a new hand signal was brought in at around the same time that looked just like the tech guns up sign. The problem was there were only a handful of us that raised hell over it. Everyone else sat back on their dead asses and let it happen.

And that's been the real problem around here. We haven't had enough people with enough pride to stand up for the traditions we do have.

For example:

Several years ago I noticed that Talons started firing Boomer at the games only when we scored a TD. Not for FG's or at kick offs or at the end of quarters, half times or at the end of the game. So I asked why and they told me "Matt Simon doesnt want us to celebrate anything but a touchdown". I'm thinking, "that's the most stupid thing I've ever heard of, and secondly, who gives a $hit what Matt Simon wants, it's not his school or his tradition?". So I told the Cannon crew this and they responded with, "Well gee wiz Rick, what do you expect us to do, go against what the athletic department asked us to do?". And I said...."Hell yes, grow some nuts and remind them who they work for. You do realize you help pay for their salary, don't you?". " Explain it to them how it is, how it's been and see what they say?". "dont just take it laying down without a fight" And with that the current group of Talons at the time proceeded to roll over and allow OUR traditions to take it right up the rearend in regards to how the Cannon was operated and I believe this was the same time the AD Dept gave them some other optional Blue and Burnt-orange flags to fly rather than the NT Battle Flag, to which they gladly did.

Sickening. Makes me want to vomit just thinking about it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

That was Blue and Burnt Orange by the way. And not that i expect nor want anyone in administration making up our traditions, but for the record, that awful raping of our Alma Mater with the color change and the Daffy Eagle clip art was brought here by the AD at that time. Also a new hand signal was brought in at around the same time that looked just like the tech guns up sign. The problem was there were only a handful of us that raised hell over it. Everyone else sat back on their dead asses and let it happen.

And that's been the real problem around here. We haven't had enough people with enough pride to stand up for the traditions we do have.

For example:

Several years ago I noticed that Talons started firing Boomer at the games only when we scored a TD. Not for FG's or at kick offs or at the end of quarters, half times or at the end of the game. So I asked why and they told me "Matt Simon doesnt want us to celebrate anything but a touchdown". I'm thinking, "that's the most stupid thing I've ever heard of, and secondly, who gives a $hit what Matt Simon wants, it's not his school or his tradition?". So I told the Cannon crew this and they responded with, "Well gee wiz Rick, what do you expect us to do, go against what the athletic department asked us to do?". And I said...."Hell yes, grow some nuts and remind them who they work for. You do realize you help pay for their salary, don't you?". " Explain it to them how it is, how it's been and see what they say?". "dont just take it laying down without a fight" And with that the current group of Talons at the time proceeded to roll over and allow OUR traditions to take it right up the rearend in regards to how the Cannon was operated and I believe this was the same time the AD Dept gave them some other optional Blue and Burnt-orange flags to fly rather than the NT Battle Flag, to which they gladly did.

Rick

So you're saying that TRADITIONS are important!?!?.. :o And that North Texas graduates should be the ones deciding what North Texas traditions are?.... :o :o

• Downvote 2

For example:

Rick

This is spot on! Great post.

So you're saying that TRADITIONS are important!?!?.. :o And that North Texas graduates should be the ones deciding what North Texas traditions are?.... :o :o

I think he was saying that the students (Talons in this case) and alumni (in this example, Rick) have to keep UNT traditions. NOT the AD. In this case, the student group caved. If the RIGHT people don't take up the burden, it won't be taken up by those that should have it. It will disappear or be distorted because the WRONG people have picked it up, and the RIGHT people DON'T CARE.

• Upvote 2

For example:

Several years ago I noticed that Talons started firing Boomer at the games only when we scored a TD. Not for FG's or at kick offs or at the end of quarters, half times or at the end of the game. So I asked why and they told me "Matt Simon doesnt want us to celebrate anything but a touchdown". I'm thinking, "that's the most stupid thing I've ever heard of, and secondly, who gives a $hit what Matt Simon wants, it's not his school or his tradition?". So I told the Cannon crew this and they responded with, "Well gee wiz Rick, what do you expect us to do, go against what the athletic department asked us to do?".

Or maybe they agreed with the AD but were too scared of your fire helmet to tell you that. Less Boomer please.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

FINALLY!! A couple of pics that add some degree of interest to this UNIFORM thread!!

Here's an idea from the Philadelphia Eagles cheerleaders. I goes to the Eagles' tradition of deep sea diving. I don't know if deep sea diving is a tradition at North Texas, but we are also called the Eagles, so that must count for something:

cheerleaders.jpg

I guess part of the reason Notre Dame hasn't done as well as expected in recent years is that the fans, at the cheerleaders' direction, are yelling confusing things at them from the stands:

notredame-cheerleader-go.jpg

but let's be honest... how long did it take you to even look at the sign?

• Upvote 1

For example:

Rick

Look, I knew Matt Simon too well. That guy said something as a directive back then, it was done or you were gone. Helwig wasn't going to step on his toes because even he became afraid of the guys bi-polar like anger. Those Talons may have turned them down, but back then, it wouldn't have difficult at all for Simon to have them removed from any mention or connection to the AD. If you don't believe me, fine, but I know first hand how that guy operated. Those kids would have never stepped foot near Fouts Field again had they done that. No matter how much you think they didn't have "balls", the AD and the administration back then quite obviously really didn't give a damn at all about stuff like this. If Simon had coached under RV and Dr. Pohl/Bataille/Rawlins, your point would be dead-on. They wouldn't have put up with a tradition being crushed. The Hurley/Helwig connection didn't care a bit. Until Simon just ran himself into the ground and Helwig finally grew those "balls" you were speaking of to fire him, Simon had free reign on that athletic department. There is no denying this from anyone who worked up there during thes timeframe.

Look, I knew Matt Simon too well. That guy said something as a directive back then, it was done or you were gone. Helwig wasn't going to step on his toes because even he became afraid of the guys bi-polar like anger. Those Talons may have turned them down, but back then, it wouldn't have difficult at all for Simon to have them removed from any mention or connection to the AD. If you don't believe me, fine, but I know first hand how that guy operated. Those kids would have never stepped foot near Fouts Field again had they done that. No matter how much you think they didn't have "balls", the AD and the administration back then quite obviously really didn't give a damn at all about stuff like this. If Simon had coached under RV and Dr. Pohl/Bataille/Rawlins, your point would be dead-on. They wouldn't have put up with a tradition being crushed. The Hurley/Helwig connection didn't care a bit. Until Simon just ran himself into the ground and Helwig finally grew those "balls" you were speaking of to fire him, Simon had free reign on that athletic department. There is no denying this from anyone who worked up there during thes timeframe.

I may be wrong but i thought Simon was reassigned, not fired, then quit shortly afterwards to take another job elsewher? I agree that the dude had personality issues but don't recall Simon hardly ever getting his way. He did bitch about what he didn't have quite a bit. Eventually when he didn't get his way he turned to the alumni and media, which strained his relationship with Helwig, eventually leading to his reassignment.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I may be wrong but i thought Simon was reassigned, not fired, then quit shortly afterwards to take another job elsewher? I agree that the dude had personality issues but don't recall Simon hardly ever getting his way. He did bitch about what he didn't have quite a bit. Eventually when he didn't get his way he turned to the alumni and media, which strained his relationship with Helwig, eventually leading to his reassignment.

Rick

Trust me, I worked up there every day for the first two years he was here. That guy was a timebomb. The front office people walked on pins and needles around him. He and Helwig got cross with each other when Helwig decided to keep scheduling the hardest non-conference games for us, but those first two years he was here, he got pretty much what he wanted. I'll never forget having to hear about some stupid mat that we just had to have for spring practices that cost some absurd amount (over $100k) and that he got because it would get us to the next level. Helwig let him have it. Think about that timeframe and ask yourself if that mat's cost was really a good use of resources. Its a good example of what poor leadership and apathy does to a program.

Notre Dame cheerleader > OU cheerleader > UT cheerleader.

Here's the other thing to note...

...you always hear about hot UT co-eds. But, the Longhorn students in the background of the photo don't exactly make me want to leave the green grass of home.

Maybe UT has two or three dozen decent looking chicks, and they're all on the cheer or pom squads. Austin and UT are highly overrated in the chick department. I always thought the UNT gals were better.