New uniforms

greenbird

Yep, JongJim is right. Not any other way to look at it in my opinion. Can the AD recommend to groups such as talons that they do this? Sure. But he can't force traditions to happen or people to organize things like this. I somehow can't see RV leading yell practice. If he did I'd be embarrassed for our alumni community at large.

Traditions are what draw people to the program and keep them coming back year after year. Otherwise there is little point in having an AD....and his/her staff. AND any school's traditions are not practiced in a vacuum away from the facilities/venues....that the AD is hired to manage.

But I think that the alumni association is as much (if not more) to blame for a lack of ,or the practicing of, traditions.

But no official from the alumni association will come on the board and give us an opportunity to openly dialogue with them about these issues.

Bit alert?!? :blink:

If so, :thumbsu: Carry on!

If not, where is the logic here? The ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is established to run the ATHLETICS of the school, not generate cheers and traditions for the school. And, what on earth does the Alumni Association have to do with generating cheers and traditions? By the way, I believe the President of the Alumni Association is readily available to you on this very website, and you are very much engaged with him in open dialogue on this very issue, in this very thread!

Do you think a bunch of people in A&M's athletic department or their alumni association dreamed up their cult-like traditions? The answer is no. STUDENTS. Generate. Traditions.

• Upvote 1

Bit alert?!? :blink:

If so, :thumbsu: Carry on!

If not, where is the logic here? The ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is established to run the ATHLETICS of the school, not generate cheers and traditions for the school. And, what on earth does the Alumni Association have to do with generating cheers and traditions? By the way, I believe the President of the Alumni Association is readily available to you on this very website, and you are very much engaged with him in open dialogue on this very issue, in this very thread!

Do you think a bunch of people in A&M's athletic department or their alumni association dreamed up their cult-like traditions? The answer is no. STUDENTS. Generate. Traditions.

You think that cheers/traditions have nothing to do with the Athletic Department and that they have no interest in them? Where's the logic there?

Well, the association of former students at A&M didn't create the cult-like traditions, but they certainly are the keepers of the flame...regardless of the number of flames there are that get created....which are, at this point, countless.

So you think that students are the ones in charge of traditions? Well, since apathy is our most consistent tradition, they're doing a great job.

• Downvote 7

As far as helmet decals, yes I did put the North Texas on the side of the helmet in 2001 because the previous logo was terrible. My first preterence was an overlapped NT but that was nixed by admimistration. And yes my personal preference is not to brand the athletic program as UNT because that is how it would show up on the bottom of ESPN, CBS, etc. So North Texas became the mark. Our consistent use has made it a recognizable and consistent mark.

I couldn't agree more. There's more put into a decision on the helmet than which looks better.

• Downvote 2

You think that cheers/traditions have nothing to do with the Athletic Department and that they have no interest in them? Where's the logic there?1.

Well, the association of former students at A&M didn't create the cult-like traditions, but they certainly are the keepers of the flame...regardless of the number of flames there are that get created....which are, at this point, countless.2.

So you think that students are the ones in charge of traditions? Well, since apathy is our most consistent tradition, they're doing a great job.3.

1. I never said the AD has no interest in them, they're probably dying to get some traditions going around here just like you and I are. They just wont be starting them because that's not something they're supposed to be doing.

2. I think this proves my point. While students, they generated a bunch of weird traditions, and as they grow older, they preserve them. We need our current students to do the same thing!

3. You know what? Sadly, you're very right.

Apathy for my school was drilled into me when I walked on campus in the fall of 2000...by my fellow students! I would see 100's of students per day with UT/OU/A&M/etc... clothes on, and going to a football game? HA! Why would you want to go to a UNT game while the Longhorns/Aggies/Sooners/etc... were playing on TV?

This is why there are no traditions that were created/upheld by my generation. Here's hoping that the students on campus now (the ones who passed a bill to up tuition in order to build a new stadium) will begin to take pride in their university and their sports teams and make the games fun! Here's hoping the same students who came up with "Odufa-WHO? ODUFAWA!"(too bad that tradition just graduated) will be the same students who come up with something new at football games this fall. It's all about the students! When they get something viable going, the alumni section will be across the field doing the same thing, because we're all thirsty for it.

Sorry, but the Athletic Department and the Alumni Association cannot start these traditions.

Can you remember back to your days as a student? If some old fart from the Alumni Association told you some new thing to do during the game, would you have done it? What if your orientation counselor and fellow students told you about a new thing to do during the games? Which would you be more inclined to follow?

And on that kickoff, start a long" Nooooorth" as the kicker lines up and " Texas" when his foot gets to the ball.

We already have an official kickoff chant (that I don't hear people do). It's supposed to be "Go" held out with talons in the air until the ball is kicked, at which time we say "Mean Green".

• Upvote 1

WOW! Just WOW! Where to start?

First, why would the executive director or any paid staffer of the Alumni Association care to get involved in a dialogue on the board. Silly. You have seen where that gets RV, right?

But, oh, Silver, I see you continue to be one to never to let anything like actual information and knowledge here and there get in the way of a flamable post or to keep one from pointing the finger at someone else for something someone thinks has been done wrong or poorly. It is well known that I am now on the board of the Alumni Association and have been associated with the Denton Chapter of the Alumni Association for many years. It's not like no one from the Association has been actively trying to drum up support. You want a dialogue on here? Funny...there is not much chance of a proper and calm dialogue on here, but I am happy to meet over a beer and have a real face-to-face chat about the Alumni Association if you care to do so.

Like lots of things that get posted here, and lots of the blame that gets tossed around by folks who are more than happy to "let someone else do it" and just sit back and take pot shots, the facts are often lost in the fray. Not crediting you, of course, for all that, but to throw the Alumni Association under the bus as the place for the "blame" regarding what you perceive to be a lack of support for traditions, is simply ill-informed and mean-spirited.

And, of course you are correct, no need for an AD if one doesn't have a good cheer or a great pre-game routine for the fans. That's, of course, the only reason for an AD and a full athletic department department in the first place, right? I don't even think you believe that deep down in that grumpy ole heart of yours.

Have any idea about the history of the Alumni Association at UNT and the support it has received from the university and its alums through the years? How many people do you think work in the Alumni Association offices compared to like sized universities? What's the budget? How many members does it have compared to like sized universities? What programs and traditions does it support and has it continued to support year after year?

Take me up on the offer for a beer (or two or three...it might take longer than one) and I'll provide what info I can for you about what YOUR alumni Association is doing. I assume you are not a member since if you were you would be receiving regular communications from the Association regarding everything it is up to these days. Plus, in the several years that i have been giving my time to the Association, I have never seen you at any of our sponsored events. Sometimes being more informed is just a matter of being involved.....even a little. Like a lot of things going on at UNT across the board today, lots of improvements have been made. It's just too bad that so many people seem to refuse to see it or acknowledge the progress being made.

I've tried to PM you, but seems your box is full or the PM function is turned off for you.

However, you do seem to have one tradition down pat...that of seeming to only find the negatives you perceive in everything that is UNT.

So you think that the promotion of spirit shouldn't be of concern to the AD and his staff? Well, since they are administratively in charge of the Green Brigade and the cheer staff....I just assumed..... :rolleyes:

Do I know the history of the NT alumni association? Some of it. I've covered my concerns about the organization in a lengthy post a year or so ago. I am a paying member despite my objection to being in an organization that is created for the benefit of North Texas alumni (and future alumni) and the director is not a North Texas graduate. I find that sadly ironic.

Sorry you can't seem to PM me. Everyone else is able to.....including most recently GrayEagle.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

So you think that the promotion of spirit shouldn't be of concern to the AD and his staff? Well, since they are administratively in charge of the Green Brigade and the cheer staff....I just assumed..... :rolleyes:

Do I know the history of the NT alumni association? Some of it. I've covered my concerns about the organization in a lengthy post a year or so ago. I am a paying member despite my objection to being in an organization that is created for the benefit of North Texas alumni (and future alumni) and the director is not a North Texas graduate. I find that sadly ironic.

Sorry you can't seem to PM me. Everyone else is able to.....including most recently GrayEagle.

Where did I say that the AD did not have a part in the promotion of spirit? And, how can you even say the AD is not concerned with that given all that is going on in the dept these days? Is you head stuck firmly in the sand?

How about that beer...I will even buy, you might be interested in some actual factual information? Let me also ask that what part of the Alumni Association were you happy with when the executive director WAS a UNT Alumni? Do you even remember in how much disarray the Association was at that time and what was and was not happening? I think you might have forgotten that the Alumni Assoc. was all but non-existent during that time. What the Association is involved in today and the value that members receive for their membership is so far and away greater today than any time in the past when an alum was director that it isn't even funny.

Do you even have any idea how many university alumni associations have alums as their executive directors? You might be surprised to learn the facts, but let's not let any of that get in the way.

So, how about that beer? I'll even buy you the first two! maybe if you learned a bit of the facts of the matter you might find it a bit different than you assume it to be...amazing how that works sometimes. Let me know about that beer...I'm looking forward to it.

• Upvote 2

-- I just hope the new coach doesn't do like Ohio State does/did.... put all those stickers on helmets.... it looks so kindergardenish... Sort of like getting a gold star for whatever. I would hope college players were bit more mature than to be motivated by a "sticker".

-- Ohio State is not a great example anyway... they were paying players [giving them equiptment to sell ]. Hope NCAA sticks it to them.. if they don't, I would be mad if I was SMU who got hit hard for what they did. .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Silver...tried to PM you again...here is the exact message I got back from GMG.Com;

"The member SilverEagle cannot receive any new messages".

Don't have a clue why GreayEagle can get through, but I am not the only one who has tried to PM you without success lately. Have you tried deleting some old messages?

Beer time???????

-- I just hope the new coach doesn't do like Ohio State does/did.... put all those stickers on helmets.... it looks so kindergardenish... Sort of like getting a gold star for whatever. I would hope college players were bit more mature than to be motivated by a "sticker".

-- Ohio State is not a great example anyway... they were paying players [giving them equiptment to sell ]. Hope NCAA sticks it to them.. if they don't, I would be mad if I was SMU who got hit hard for what they did. .

I agree with the no Ohio State helmet sticker thing. To me, and it's only my opinion, nothing says "high school" more than a bunch of helmet stickers awarded for whatever reason and stuck all over the helmet.

I do not recall Iowa State using such "motivation" during the time McCarney was HC, so there is definitely hope that UNT will not go "high school" on us with the sticker thing.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Where did I say that the AD did not have a part in the promotion of spirit? And, how can you even say the AD is not concerned with that given all that is going on in the dept these days? Is you head stuck firmly in the sand?

Look, I can make a point and you can twist it around to your own pom-pom-shaking-nose-up-management's-butt agenda all day long. MY POINT has always been that (now pay attention KRAM, because I'm going to try and keep it simple), wonderful facilities can be built (which they are) and new unis can be bought, and 4 or 5+ wins can take place, but none of that matters if you don't work on the basics.....WHICH IS TRADITIONS!....WHICH WE ARE NOT KNOWN FOR EXCEPT FOR THE TRADITION OF APATHY.

How about that beer...I will even buy, you might be interested in some actual factual information?

WOW! And this is positive how?

Let me also ask that what part of the Alumni Association were you happy with when the executive director WAS a UNT Alumni? Do you even remember in how much disarray the Association was at that time and what was and was not happening? I think you might have forgotten that the Alumni Assoc. was all but non-existent during that time. What the Association is involved in today and the value that members receive for their membership is so far and away greater today than any time in the past when an alum was director that it isn't even funny.

And so we don't give any other competent North Texas graduate an opportunity to turn things around? Wow, I'm impressed with that mind-set. So let's tell the whole world "North Texas doesn't graduate competent people who can run it's own alumni association....and they needn't apply either.

Do you even have any idea how many university alumni associations have alums as their executive directors? You might be surprised to learn the facts, but let's not let any of that get in the way.

Well, here's one fact....Texas A$M

Association Staff

Staff Home > Executive Staff

The Executive Staff serves as the Management Team of The Association, which is organized into the areas of Executive Admnistration, Communications and Human Resources, Marketing and Programs, Finance, and Development.

Porter S. Garner III '79

President and CEO, pgarner79@aggienetwork.com

(979) 845-7514

Porter was unanimously elected The Association’s seventh professional Executive Director in January 2000. After a Bylaws amendment in November 2008, his title was changed to President and CEO. In March of 2011, Porter will celebrate 30 years of service to The Association, beginning with his role as Field Director where he logged countless miles and hours in assisting A&M Clubs across the state, nation and world. Years spent interacting with Aggies one on one across the Aggie Network and witnessing their devotion to Texas A&M and Texas Aggies, shaped Porter’s vision for the organization, compelling him to create a culture built on a foundation of service and teamwork.

Under his leadership, The Association has expanded its reach and relevance to the Aggie Network, raised the largest Annual Fund in the organization’s history and enhanced the look, feel, and capabilities of the Clayton W. Williams, Jr. Alumni Center, creating the premier alumni center. Porter earned a BBA in Marketing from Texas A&M in 1979 and served as President of the Student Aggie Club while in school. In 2006 He was selected as a Fish Camp Namesake in recognition of his many contributions to Texas A&M. His love of Texas A&M was instilled in him by his father, Porter S. Garner, Jr. '45 and Porter and his wife, Lisa ’91 are raising three future Aggies, Claire, Callie, and Porter IV.

Kathryn Greenwade '88

Vice President, kgreenwade88@aggienetwork.com

(979) 845-7514

Kathryn joined The Association team as Director of Human Resources in 1999 after leading the Former Student Career Services program in the Texas A&M Career Center. In 2003 she was promoted to Assistant Executive Director and in 2005 led the team charged with developing The Association’s Strategic Plan. In 2008 Kathryn assumed leadership of The Association’s communications team and currently leads staff responsible for communications on behalf of the organization and the production of Texas Aggie magazine, True Maroon, AggiE-News, and AggieNetwork.com, in addition to the organization’s Human Resources team. She has held the Professional in Human Resources Certification from the Human Resource Certification Institute since 2000. Kathryn earned a BS in Journalism in 1988 and since returning to Aggieland in 1997 has given of her time to Texas A&M in many ways. She has served as a Corps of Cadets Academic Mentor to Company C-2 since April of 1998 and has twice been named Outstanding Academic Mentor. In 2000 she was named a Fish Camp Namesake. Kathryn is a third generation Aggie.

Cecilee Herd '95

Vice President, cherd95@aggienetwork.com

(979) 845-7514

Cecilee graduated from Texas A&M in 1995 with a BS in Agricultural Economics and joined The Association staff as Executive Assistant after working five years as Director of Membership and Public Relations for the International Food and Agribusiness Management Association. As Executive Assistant, she coordinated The Association’s quarterly Board of Directors meetings, Board correspondence, and admissions-related correspondence. In 2007 Cecilee initiated The Association’s Resource Guide, which serves as a training tool for Association volunteers and reference for the entire Aggie Network. In 2008 she was named Vice President with responsibility for all protocol and communications related to the Board of Directors and The Association President. Cecilee is a third generation Aggie and along with her husband, Larry ’00, is raising three future Aggies, McKenlee, Kaylee, and Will.

Marty Holmes '87

Vice President, mholmes87@aggienetwork.com

(979) 845-7514

Marty joined The Association staff in 2003 bringing 12 years of association management experience with him. He earned a BBA in Marketing from Texas A&M in 1987 and currently leads The Association’s marketing, annual giving, campus programs, former student programs, and events teams, as well as the Distinguished Alumni Program. While a student at Texas A&M, Holmes was a member of the Corps of Cadets, a Ross Volunteer, Yell Leader, and recipient of the Buck Weirus Spirit Award. He served as a Class Agent for the Class of 1987 from 1992-1997 and was named a Fish Camp Namesake in 2005. Marty currently holds the Certified Association Executive designation from the American Society of Association Executives. His family includes his wife Deanne, and two future Aggies, Wesley and Mason.

Barbara Kasper '82

Vice President, bkasper82@aggienetwork.com

(979) 845-7514

Barbara joined The Association team in August of 1989 after seven years in the banking industry. She began her Association tenure as Director of Annual Giving and today leads the development operations of the organization, which includes the Endowed Century Club, as well as capital fundraising. She is currently coordinating The Association’s fundraising for the enhancement of the Clayton W. Williams, Jr. Alumni Center, an effort which has raised over $16 million to date. Barbara earned a BS in Health Education from Texas A&M in 1982 and is active in many community and A&M-affiliated organizations, including the Brazos County A&M Club, of which she is a Past President. In 1998 she was named a Fish Camp Namesake in recognition of her service to the students of Texas A&M. Barbara’s family includes husband, Pat ’80, son Kyle ’11, and daughter Jennifer ’14.

Ron Spies '73

Vice President and CFO, rspies73@aggienetwork.com

(979) 845-7514

Ron joined The Association staff in 1987 as Controller, after a long affiliation with the organization through his audit practice. Today, as Vice President and CFO he is responsible for the fiscal well-being of the organization, in addition to leading the information technology, information services, accounting, facilities, and production teams. In addition to his duties as CFO, Ron served admirably as the team lead on The Association’s building enhancement project. He earned a BBA in Accounting from Texas A&M in 1973 and has been a licensed CPA since 1976. In 2006 Ron was honored as a Fish Camp namesake in recognition of his service to Texas A&M. Ron and his wife, Debbie ’76, are parents to Jeremy, Tim and Nick.

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

:rolleyes:

Good for A&M! Maybe you should support them as you seem to have more positive things to say about A&M than you do UNT. I am sure they would love all your positiveness. That's one. Do you really want me to post on here the multitude of Alumni Associations that are headed by non-grads of the colleges they represent...AND, are you aware that there ARE UNT grads on the payroll at the UNT Alumni Assoc. just like A&M that you seem so excited about. Just another small fact you seem to ignore.

You will also note that the Executive Staff of the A&M Alumni Association is six in number (if you even posted all of them) and it says they serve the further management team at the A&M Alumni Assoc. In case you were not aware, the entire staff at the UNT Alumni Assoc. is six in number (and I do not believe all of those are full-time staffers). You think there might be a small difference in the support between A&M and UNT for its Alumni Association? I have never heard a grad of A&M knock his school they way some here like to do. That does make a difference as well.

Still no response to my offer of a beer and some actual factual conversation, but keep being positive Silver!

By the way...in case you haven't noticed the current president of UNT is not a UNT grad! WOW...that must mean that UNT believes that no UNT grad is capable of being a college president or that the board of regents just didn't want to give a UNT grad the opportunity. Amazing logic you have there Silver...in your world I guess no UNT grad need apply for the job as president???? Oh, the director of the UNT Foundation is not a UNT grad either...no one capable there either, Silver? What about that head football and basketball coach...gee not a UNT grad...I guess none are capable and should apply????? How about all those non-UNT grad professors and heads of departments we have running all over UNT? I guess that means no one with a PhD from UNT is capable of running a dept. or being a professor? Let's not even get into all the development and advancement office staff that are non-UNT grads. Darn, I guess they just eliminated everyone who applied that was a UNT grad.

As it is apparent that you really don't want to know the real facts of the matter (as it is easier to just continue to spew your negativity about all things that are UNT) I am going to bow out of this thread. It is just too frustrating and I have much more positive things to do in support of UNT, the Alumni Association and the Mean Green in general.

Beer offer still stands, but I won't be responding on board any more about this topic. Try, as hard as it may be, to have a good day!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

OK KRAM, here is my second attempt to give you some insight about my basic concern.

I have been going to North Texas games for decades...both out of town and home. I have viewed MANY fine facilities at other schools and while I might have been impressed with many of them, they never cause me to have a gut feeling of envy. The only time that I've had a real GUT FEELING of envy was when I attended the Memphis NO bowl game, and it was at a restaurant on Burbon st.

I was standing in line with FFR (and others) waiting to be seated. A bunch of Memphis fans were sitting at several table close by when one of them spotted the group of people wearing NT gear. A middle aged man hopped up from one of the tables, made some sort of signal (I can remember if it was a hand or verbal signal) and then proceeded to do their T.I.G.E.R.S., TIGERS, TIGERS, TIGERS! yell. He got full and immediate participation from the other Memphis fans in the room. The man wasn't the least bit concerned that he might have been making a public spectacle of himself, or that he was doing something that was not "cool".

I thought, DAMN! I sure wished that North Texas fans/alums had that kind of spirit TRADITION.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You think that cheers/traditions have nothing to do with the Athletic Department and that they have no interest in them? Where's the logic there?

So you think that students are the ones in charge of traditions? Well, since apathy is our most consistent tradition, they're doing a great job.

I honestly believe the Athletic Department has much larger fish to fry. Yes, I do believe they have a role in fostering and growing traditions, and at times, helping create them such as the Mean Green walk and the festivities around Game Day. But, I think that is different from true traditions.

You mention apathy as our most consistent tradition and lay it at the feet of the students, which I think if far from fair. Today's students have much more spirit than when I was a student, and I would say the Athletic Department gets the credit for helping develop this over the past decade. The apathy that has historically encompassed North Texas is the fault of past university administrations, students and alumni. Outside of the alumni on this board and those active in their alumni chapter, we probably have the most disconnected alumni of any major university I can think of in the state and possibly nationwide. We can all point fingers and try to find the culprit, or we can look in the mirror and decide we will do something to change this and start inviting alumni that we know are disconnected to games, university functions, alumni events, etc... Placing the blame on the shoulders of the students and athletic department is neither accurate or fair.

• Upvote 3

Good for A&M! Maybe you should support them as you seem to have more positive things to say about A&M than you do UNT. I am sure they would love all your positiveness. That's one. Do you really want me to post on here the multitude of Alumni Associations that are headed by non-grads of the colleges they represent...AND, are you aware that there ARE UNT grads on the payroll at the UNT Alumni Assoc. just like A&M that you seem so excited about. Just another small fact you seem to ignore.

You will also note that the Executive Staff of the A&M Alumni Association is six in number (if you even posted all of them) and it says they serve the further management team at the A&M Alumni Assoc. In case you were not aware, the entire staff at the UNT Alumni Assoc. is six in number (and I do not believe all of those are full-time staffers). You think there might be a small difference in the support between A&M and UNT for its Alumni Association? I have never heard a grad of A&M knock his school they way some here like to do. That does make a difference as well.

Still no response to my offer of a beer and some actual factual conversation, but keep being positive Silver!

By the way...in case you haven't noticed the current president of UNT is not a UNT grad! WOW...that must mean that UNT believes that no UNT grad is capable of being a college president or that the board of regents just didn't want to give a UNT grad the opportunity. Amazing logic you have there Silver...in your world I guess no UNT grad need apply for the job as president???? Oh, the director of the UNT Foundation is not a UNT grad either...no one capable there either, Silver? What about that head football and basketball coach...gee not a UNT grad...I guess none are capable and should apply????? How about all those non-UNT grad professors and heads of departments we have running all over UNT? I guess that means no one with a PhD from UNT is capable of running a dept. or being a professor? Let's not even get into all the development and advancement office staff that are non-UNT grads. Darn, I guess they just eliminated everyone who applied that was a UNT grad.

As it is apparent that you really don't want to know the real facts of the matter (as it is easier to just continue to spew your negativity about all things that are UNT) I am going to bow out of this thread. It is just too frustrating and I have much more positive things to do in support of UNT, the Alumni Association and the Mean Green in general.

Beer offer still stands, but I won't be responding on board any more about this topic. Try, as hard as it may be, to have a good day!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Good for A&M and maybe I should go and support them? That's it? That's all you got? I don't want us to be A&M....except in spirit and love of our school.

University Presidents and directors of ALMUNI ASSOCIATIONS are two different things. Sorry you can't see the difference.

Here is another association that thinks it's graduates are competent enough to run things.

TWU....from their web-site.

Past Presidents of the Former Students Association

Term Maiden Name Married Name Class Year

2004-2008 Barbara Luther (Mrs. H. Lyndon Taylor) 1952

2000-2004 Lee Gray (Mrs. Jim Blair) 1952

1998-2000 Ann Ferrell (Mrs. Nathaniel Williams) 1968

1996-1998 Bettye Myers 1947

1994-1996

Mary Beth Foshee (Mrs. J. J. Scull, Jr.) 1947

1992-1994 Helen Haddix (Mrs. Robert Deiker) 1945

1990-1992 Louise Wimberly (Mrs. T. M. Hagood) 1941

1988-1990 Karen Dillard (Mrs. R. G. Bluethman) 1964

1986-1988 Hoy Casey (Mrs. Gene Gatlin) 1941

1984-1986 Dorothy Magnum (Mrs. Dan Kinsel, Jr.) 1951

1982-1984 Docia Schultz (Mrs. Roy Williams) 1951

1980-1982 Dorothy Schmittigens (Mrs. J. Henderson) 1941

1978-1980 Katherine Winter (Mrs. T. G. Magee) 1934

1976-1978 LaVerne Collins (Mrs. Alfred Chatfield) 1942

1974-1978 Kathryn Coffey (Mrs. S. B. Ragsdale) 1963

1972-1974 Dorothy Anderson (Mrs. C. R. Holland) 1944

1970-1972 Nanette Keefe (Mrs. W. F. Reichert) 1952

1968-1970 Frances Sunkel (Mrs. R. L. Sneed) 1947

1966-1968 Helen Hare (Mrs. Kenneth Thorpe) 1943

1964-1966 Gwen Dickens (Mrs. Guy Hunt) 1943

1962-1964 Joan Farrell (Mrs. Clark Jones) 1946

1960-1962 Marjorie L. Collier (Mrs. T. Brooks) 1937

1958-1960 Doris Petty (Mrs. J. W. Woody) 1927

1956-1958 Kate Adele Hill 1925

1954-1956 Ann Carroll (Mrs. Ben Barden) 1924

1952-1954 Mae Wadley (Mrs. Ben Boyd) 1932

1950-1952 Catherine Cloud (Mrs. C. L. Edwards) 1932

1946-1950 Vada Francis (Mrs. Herbert C. Hale) 1922

1943-1946 Charlotte Cornell (acting president) 1915

1942-1943 Nedra Cooper (Mrs. T. A. Jenkins) 1930

1940-1942 Mary E. McCulley (Mrs. H.B. Sowers) 1933

1938-1940 Ethel Murrey (Mrs. Arch Dawson) 1915

1936-1938 Janie Lou Foster (Mrs. C.B. Fletcher) 1919

1934-1936 Teresa Abney (Mrs. J. M. Charlton) 1913

1932-1934 Tempa Davis (Mrs. J. M. Andrews) 1923

1929-1932 Nelle Jones (Mrs. Stuart Cooper) 1919

1928-1929 Ruth West (Mrs. Joe H. Byrne) 1917

1927-1928 Clara Tucker 1918

1926-1927 Corrie Walker (Mrs. C. W. Allen) 1925

1925-1926 Cora Reynolds 1908

1924-1925 Maurine Cannon (Mrs. George Henderson) 1920

1923-1924 Mattie Craddock (Mrs. C. D Jacobs) 1915

1921-1923 Susan F. Cobb (Mrs. W. M. Regan) 1915

1920-1921 Ruth Adkisson (Mrs. Finley Hare) 1914

1919-1920 Mamie Walker 1908

1918-1919 Hettie Mulkey (Mrs. Marvin Reinhardt) 1908

1917-1918 Pearl Blow (Mrs. B. B. Harris) 1907

1913-1917 Katie Boyce (Mrs. L. K. Humphries) 1913

1912-1913 Ruth Shropshire (Mrs. Frank Butler) 1912

1911-1912 Allene Yeary (Mrs. C. K. Standifer) 1911

1910-1911 Grace Watkins (Mrs. H. C. Huckett) 1910

1909-1910 Angie Ousley (Mrs. John E. Rosser) 1909

1908-1909 Eula P. Turner (Mrs. R.L Ferguson) 1907

1907-1908 Grace H. Taylor (Mrs. J.W. Caller) 1907

1906-1907 Laura L. Neale (Mrs. A. F. Love) 1905

1905-1906 Beulah Kincaid (Mrs. D. H. Fry) 1904

I think the cheerleaders have to tee it up somewhat. When we play Texas and OU, their cheerleaders have sets of cards they show their mostly illiterate, bandwagoning fan bases so they know what to yell. Very Pavlovian.

Texas/OU cheerleaders standing on opposite sidelines hold up cards. On one sideline, cheerleaders hold up "Boomer" or "Texas". Then, in a stunning fit of ingenuity, a couple of seconds later, the cheerleaders positioned on the other sideline hold up their cards have the words to complete the chant - "Sooner" and "Fight"

Looky: Here's an example from a Longhorn basketball game. Pretty simple stuff, really.

4059631471_ca52b5826e.jpg

An OU cheerleader leads her side of the stadium with the technologically advanced, poster-like "Sooner" card:

Sooner-Cheer_display_image.jpg?1292559116

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Good for A&M and maybe I should go and support them? That's it? That's all you got? I don't want us to be A&M....except in spirit and love of our school.

University Presidents and directors of ALMUNI ASSOCIATIONS are two different things. Sorry you can't see the difference.

Here is another association that thinks it's graduates are competent enough to run things.

TWU....from their web-site.

Past Presidents of the Former Students Association

Term Maiden Name Married Name Class Year

2004-2008 Barbara Luther (Mrs. H. Lyndon Taylor) 1952

2000-2004 Lee Gray (Mrs. Jim Blair) 1952

1998-2000 Ann Ferrell (Mrs. Nathaniel Williams) 1968

1996-1998 Bettye Myers 1947

1994-1996

Mary Beth Foshee (Mrs. J. J. Scull, Jr.) 1947

1992-1994 Helen Haddix (Mrs. Robert Deiker) 1945

1990-1992 Louise Wimberly (Mrs. T. M. Hagood) 1941

1988-1990 Karen Dillard (Mrs. R. G. Bluethman) 1964

1986-1988 Hoy Casey (Mrs. Gene Gatlin) 1941

1984-1986 Dorothy Magnum (Mrs. Dan Kinsel, Jr.) 1951

1982-1984 Docia Schultz (Mrs. Roy Williams) 1951

1980-1982 Dorothy Schmittigens (Mrs. J. Henderson) 1941

1978-1980 Katherine Winter (Mrs. T. G. Magee) 1934

1976-1978 LaVerne Collins (Mrs. Alfred Chatfield) 1942

1974-1978 Kathryn Coffey (Mrs. S. B. Ragsdale) 1963

1972-1974 Dorothy Anderson (Mrs. C. R. Holland) 1944

1970-1972 Nanette Keefe (Mrs. W. F. Reichert) 1952

1968-1970 Frances Sunkel (Mrs. R. L. Sneed) 1947

1966-1968 Helen Hare (Mrs. Kenneth Thorpe) 1943

1964-1966 Gwen Dickens (Mrs. Guy Hunt) 1943

1962-1964 Joan Farrell (Mrs. Clark Jones) 1946

1960-1962 Marjorie L. Collier (Mrs. T. Brooks) 1937

1958-1960 Doris Petty (Mrs. J. W. Woody) 1927

1956-1958 Kate Adele Hill 1925

1954-1956 Ann Carroll (Mrs. Ben Barden) 1924

1952-1954 Mae Wadley (Mrs. Ben Boyd) 1932

1950-1952 Catherine Cloud (Mrs. C. L. Edwards) 1932

1946-1950 Vada Francis (Mrs. Herbert C. Hale) 1922

1943-1946 Charlotte Cornell (acting president) 1915

1942-1943 Nedra Cooper (Mrs. T. A. Jenkins) 1930

1940-1942 Mary E. McCulley (Mrs. H.B. Sowers) 1933

1938-1940 Ethel Murrey (Mrs. Arch Dawson) 1915

1936-1938 Janie Lou Foster (Mrs. C.B. Fletcher) 1919

1934-1936 Teresa Abney (Mrs. J. M. Charlton) 1913

1932-1934 Tempa Davis (Mrs. J. M. Andrews) 1923

1929-1932 Nelle Jones (Mrs. Stuart Cooper) 1919

1928-1929 Ruth West (Mrs. Joe H. Byrne) 1917

1927-1928 Clara Tucker 1918

1926-1927 Corrie Walker (Mrs. C. W. Allen) 1925

1925-1926 Cora Reynolds 1908

1924-1925 Maurine Cannon (Mrs. George Henderson) 1920

1923-1924 Mattie Craddock (Mrs. C. D Jacobs) 1915

1921-1923 Susan F. Cobb (Mrs. W. M. Regan) 1915

1920-1921 Ruth Adkisson (Mrs. Finley Hare) 1914

1919-1920 Mamie Walker 1908

1918-1919 Hettie Mulkey (Mrs. Marvin Reinhardt) 1908

1917-1918 Pearl Blow (Mrs. B. B. Harris) 1907

1913-1917 Katie Boyce (Mrs. L. K. Humphries) 1913

1912-1913 Ruth Shropshire (Mrs. Frank Butler) 1912

1911-1912 Allene Yeary (Mrs. C. K. Standifer) 1911

1910-1911 Grace Watkins (Mrs. H. C. Huckett) 1910

1909-1910 Angie Ousley (Mrs. John E. Rosser) 1909

1908-1909 Eula P. Turner (Mrs. R.L Ferguson) 1907

1907-1908 Grace H. Taylor (Mrs. J.W. Caller) 1907

1906-1907 Laura L. Neale (Mrs. A. F. Love) 1905

1905-1906 Beulah Kincaid (Mrs. D. H. Fry) 1904

OK, I misspoke about not responding...I have to respond to this ... these are, I believe, past president's of TWU's Alumni Board of Directors...not paid staffers. I can assure you that each and every president, past and present, of the UNT Alumni Association Board is also a grad of UNT as is every single board member. Just another indication that sometimes what one THINKS is the truth is not really the fact of the matter.

I am trying to take this off-line by inviting Silver for a couple of beers at my expense and some good calm conversation. Still waiting......

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

"You can call it "Traditional" all you want. What it really means is we're going with the cheapest design Nike offers."

if it were up to nike, every team would just look like it's mascot except they'd be wearing all black. if "classic" and "timeless" and "not completely asstarded like every other uniform nike designs" is wrong, i don't wanna be right.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the cheerleaders have to tee it up somewhat. When we play Texas and OU, their cheerleaders have sets of cards they show their mostly illiterate, bandwagoning fan bases so they know what to yell. Very Pavlovian.

Texas/OU cheerleaders standing on opposite sidelines hold up cards. On one sideline, cheerleaders hold up "Boomer" or "Texas". Then, in a stunning fit of ingenuity, a couple of seconds later, the cheerleaders positioned on the other sideline hold up their cards have the words to complete the chant - "Sooner" and "Fight"

Looky: Here's an example from a Longhorn basketball game. Pretty simple stuff, really.

4059631471_ca52b5826e.jpg

An OU cheerleader leads her side of the stadium with the technologically advanced, poster-like "Sooner" card:

Sooner-Cheer_display_image.jpg?1292559116

FINALLY!! A couple of pics that add some degree of interest to this UNIFORM thread!!

• Upvote 2