Mike Leach For Unt Head Coach

thew92

As far as I know Leach is not a serial killer, so I wouldn't exactly say that hiring him would be trying to win at "all costs." What makes us so ethically superior to the bigger programs that are likely to soon be courting him anyway? Besides, I think Leach has probably learned his lesson in regard to electrical closets, and I really don't care if he's not much of an ambassador or even maybe a bit of a fruitcake, as long as he stays out of serious trouble and wins football games. Wins could take care of a lot of his "ambassadorship duties" all by themselves. It's not like he needs to be our Joe Paterno and coach here until he's a hundred. Obviously , the odds of his coming to Denton are extremely remote, but I just want someone who can turn this thing around ASAP, and he is not someone that I would automatically rule out if he showed interest.

I'm really starting to think the Mike Leach ire stems simply from the fact that he is an eccentric, different man.

• Upvote 1

To say Mike Leach "left a path of destruction" at TTech is , well, uneducated, and I'll leave it at that. Look at UNT after this firing, look at Tech after Leach's firing. Where does the path of destruction really lie?

He was not fired in the midst of a lawsuit. He was fired, and then he sued. What if Todd Dodge sues UNT over disputed money owed (a distinct possibility)? Would that lower your opinion of him?

So the large donors were pleased to see Leach go? Maybe you should talk with them again after this season. Funny, but even though they didn't like Leach, they were large donors. Wonder if their donation level decreases during the Tommy Tuberville era.

So, you are saying if Mike Leach is hired, you will be 100% behind him? Great, that is exactly what we need.

Tossing Leach aside without even having a conversation with him is unforgivable. If RV really is looking to move this program forward, he will at least call Leach and gauge his interest. There may not be any interest. But, and I'll say this as loud as I can:

YOU NEVER KNOW UNTIL YOU ASK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the lawsuit is causing a pretty wide path of destruction at TT. The controversy over the player "abuse" allegation caused a pretty wide path of destruction at TT. The comments Leach has made after leaving and before filing the lawsuit has caused a pretty wide path of destruction at TT, and on and on. The TT situation has and had nothing to do with the situation at UNT, and to compare the two is well, uneducated, and I'll leave it at that.

Yes, if this guy was ever hired at UNT I would support him 100%. And, no the supporters I know did not reduce their contributions to TT due to their dislike for what Leach was doing and no, their donations have not been reduced due to the current won/loss record at Tech...they are TT supporters first and foremost and they support because they love TT. This is something that many UNT "supporters" have yet learned to do. They support "conditionally". And, that is one of the major differences between OU, UT, TT, OSU, etc., etc. and UNT. The good news is that UNT is breaking out of its old habits in this regard...slowly yes, but surely still. My guess...and it is a guess...is that you would find overall donations at Tech are not down due to the won/loss record this season and that the fan base, while not happy with the losses so far, are more than willing to give the current coaching team time to bring the wins. Only time will tell if that happens or not. Personally, I am really happy OSU won for the first time in about 60 years in Lubbock! Ha!

Sometimes, you do know the answer without asking.

Look, no secret...I don't want Leach at UNT...others do...no problem, but surly even those that like Leach know HE AIN'T SHOWING UP AS UNT'S NEXT HEAD COACH! Time to move along.....

Edited by KRAM1

And this most important thing: Bonded so well with the student body that he made fans for life that donate and support TTech football.

Some of the older folks should talk to recent Tech grads. You may come away with a whole new appreciation of Mike Leach.

This is true, recent TT grads, like my brother, love Mike Leach.

He can take over imminently and Coach this year. Not to mention sell tickets. Plus he runs a similar scheme as Dodge. Get him fast before another school does. Plus a "Mean Green" could be a pirate.

Defense you say?

Well then you need Jim Leavitt...NOW! No offense, but I seriously doubt Leach would seriously consider the job anyway.

If I were your, AD I would hire Jim yesterday to work with his old OC (twice) Canales, get the jump on recruiting, going through the learning curve about the players, coaches, high school coaches and Texas recruits. Texas is a recruit rich environment as is Florida, so wouldn't you guys like to have a guy that can recruit both states?

• Upvote 1

He wasn't knocking you or your post, per se, just pointing out that he...and myself...and many others...hold the exact opposite opinion on Mike Leach.

Leach is a winner...Leach is a recognizable name in Texas to both recruits and fans...Leach would win at UNT. Plain and simple.

Count me in as one of those many others. He wins ball games and recruits and that is enough for me.

I respect the opinion of those that think Leach would be a good hire. I just don't think he would be. He had one great year out of ten. That's it. He took Tech football to where it generally has been for the last 25 years, which was an occasional top 25 finish, and 3rd or 4th in the SWC/Big 12. He would beat Mack or Bob every five years or so, which his respective 2-8 and 3-7 records against them bear out. He had several relatively high scoring or come from behind victories based on his fling it around offense, poor special teams play, and inferior defensive teams.

It's not a way to build a winning program, and with his poor recruiting ability, he would get a decent skill player now and then at the SBC level, but still field poor defensive teams and undisciplined special teams. He is what he is, which is a gimmick offensive coach.

I know that Tech alums love him. He definitely got them pub, but he never took them to the next level in 10 years. Not only that, but those whooping about his fundraising abilities need to take a look at Tech's operating budget for the last 5 years or so. Several years they were in the red, and the last as recently as 2007. In 2000, Tech averaged 42,215 fans per game and their all-time high as of 2008--their best year ever--was 53,625. *Insert slow clap here* The first year Tech EVER sold out it's season ticket allotment was 2008. 2008! Tuberville has already done that his first year, and with a bigger stadium--AND the backlash from Leach's firing.

If one examines what Leach actually DID at Tech, it was ok--it just wasn't what a lot of people make it out to be.

• Upvote 2

During the press conference, RV said he expects the new coach to be out in the community "every day" for the first several weeks or more. Leach refused to do that at Tech.

And does anyone here have actual knowledge that RV has NOT contacted Leach's agent already to gauge interest? There are lots and lots of messages that take place far out of the public eye when hiring.

During the press conference, RV said he expects the new coach to be out in the community "every day" for the first several weeks or more. Leach refused to do that at Tech.

And does anyone here have actual knowledge that RV has NOT contacted Leach's agent already to gauge interest? There are lots and lots of messages that take place far out of the public eye when hiring.

This also sounds like it would preclude Bower since he seems to be entrenched in Miss.

This is why Leach will not be coming to UNT. We do not have the huge established fan base that a Big12 school does. We still need the coach to twist arms of fans, not wish them away to a shed. :o

And does anyone here have actual knowledge that RV has NOT contacted Leach's agent already to gauge interest?

I'll answer yes. My sources tell me Leach has been off the list for two weeks now. He wants too much money and the administration doesn't want to risk hiring another insubordinate coach.

All indications point to a proven D1 coach who has built at this level before.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Plain & Simple--Leach Trying To Suck Blood Out of the State of Texas:

Why do some keep bringing Leach' name up on any of this? He still has a lawsuit pending versus the State of Texas. If a hardy handful of Leach-Lovers can look past their noses on this that lawsuit alone would mean UNT will not touch Leach with a 10 foot west Texas yucca because we don't won't to screw ourselves politically with those good folks down in Austin. Google this if you need proof of his "still" pending lawsuit versus our state.

Now the Minnesota Gophers, the New Mexico Lobos (or anyone outside Texas) can talk to him till the cows come home because last I checked, Austin, Texas, has no jurisdiction on anything happening in those outposts. :rolleyes:

Move on..........Leach is still a hot commodity that we would not be able to talk to even if he wasn't trying to sue and get monies from the state of Texas; you know, that group down there at our state capital we would like to make our school a Tier One Status Research university one day? ;)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Because UNT doesnt have 3 million dollars a year...

Well he may command 3 million a season but I highly doubt he would get it. His base would start at around 1.5 - 1.8 million which was what he was making at Tech and if he reached all of his goals and incentives it would jump over 2 or 2.2 million but 3 million would be pretty absurd.

Given that Leach is engaged in a lawsuit with a state entity and we are a state entity, I have doubts that we could hire Leach.

I doubt that would make a significant difference and would be welcomed because it would mean he's mitigating his damages.

Now he might not want the UNT job because he is arguing that the damage caused to his reputation is preventing him from getting an FBS job, but a bona fide offer from UNT puts him in a bad position on that assertion, other than to argue that he had to take a job at much less pay with a much lower profile.

I'd be more concerned that Leach hasn't come to grips with the fact that AD's are going to shy away from a coach who got sideways with ESPN and presidents are going to be leery of a coach fired for purported abusive behavior toward players. Same issue with Leavitt finding other work except for the ESPN issue.

Plain & Simple--Leach Trying To Suck Blood Out of the State of Texas:

Why do some keep bringing Leach' name up on any of this? He still has a lawsuit pending versus the State of Texas. If a hardy handful of Leach-Lovers can look past their noses on this that lawsuit alone would mean UNT will not touch Leach with a 10 foot west Texas yucca because we don't won't to screw ourselves politically with those good folks down in Austin. Google this if you need proof of his "still" pending lawsuit versus our state.

Now the Minnesota Gophers, the New Mexico Lobos (or anyone outside Texas) can talk to him till the cows come home because last I checked, Austin, Texas, has no jurisdiction on anything happening in those outposts. :rolleyes:

Move on..........Leach is still a hot commodity that we would not be able to talk to even if he wasn't trying to sue and get monies from the state of Texas; you know, that group down there at our state capital we would like to make our school a Tier One Status Research university one day? ;)

GMG!

I don't think Leach is a hot commodity.

Jobs that opened after he was fired that would not interview him.

USC, hired a coach who had ties to conduct that led to their probation and had marginal success at prior job.

Tennessee, hired La.Tech coach with moderate success.

East Carolina Ruffin McNeill who was the interim at Texas Tech after Leach was fired but would not interview Leach.

South Florida, hired Skip Holtz, who had a pretty good resume and unlike Leach no allegation of player abuse.

Who knows what stupid things politicians think but hiring Leach is GOOD for the lawsuit from the state's viewpoint.