We Luv' The Mean Green! But....who Is Your 2'nd College T

PlummMeanGreen

Most of us had 2'nd teams we liked as kids and I'd bet few of us who grew up outside the Metroplex would have listed UNT that far back. Hell, I thought UNT was located in Denison, Texas, when I was growing up in SWC-oriented Houston area.

So...your favorite team as a kid or should I have just stuck with Fire Dodge, Hire A New Coach, Need New Shade of Green or whatever? :rolleyes: (Variety is the spice of life)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I could give a Rat's ass about any other college football team.

I'll watch because I like football, but never with any vested interest.

This times a hundred. I may root for someone if they are playing SMU or I lay $100 on someone to cover , but I'd never claim anyone else as my "2nd team"

• Upvote 2

The only team I wear gear from is UNT. They are my primary rooting interest.

As a kid growing up southwest of Houston, everyone in elementary school was an Aggie or a Longhorn. I chose Aggie because my dad went to fire school there. Once I stepped foot on NT's campus, I didn't cheer for Aggie again.

I do usually follow Boise State and cheer for them simply because I want them to bust up the BCS. I don't really care about that school, I just hate the BCS so much that Boise winning indirectly helps our chances of someday having the ability to play for a national title. So I only cheer for Boise (and TCU or whatever midmajor is undefeated) because it helps NT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well generally speaking nowadays if push came to shove in a big game with a school in a non power league, I'd root usually for the "little guy" - like I'd probably have Boise State over anyone in one of the Big 6? But...here goes.

Football - Auburn

For some reason when I was a kid I just gravitated towards them. Maybe because they were on CBS's game of the week a lot when I was a youngster? Those mid to late 80's teams coached by Pat Dye were always top 10. Bo Jackson, Reggie Slack, etc.. I grew in fondess in High School when they had their undefeated 1993 season without a title (their first in my lifetime). Then a good friend of mine from HS ended up going there, so I even had a bit of a personal connection to them.

Basketball - Duke

This is kinda the point when I referenced it above in my intro. I really couldn't root for Duke against Butler in the NCAA championship game last year. I sorta watched that game wanting neither team to lose.

But anyways, I started following Duke in the late 80's. I was 9 when they made the Final Four in 1988. Some great players on that team too (Danny Ferry jumps out first). You know, it was kinda not bad to be a Duke fan until the late 90's. Before they won it all in 1991, Duke was something like 0 for 8 as far as winning it all once they got to the Final Four and Coach K had a reputation as someone who couldn't win the big one (5th Final Four in 6 years, but no title). Most people I knew rooted for them against UNLV in the famous '91 upset, and even quite few rooted for them against the Fab 5 in '92 and Arkansas in '94 (what a heart breaker that was for my sophomore in HS self). That era had some of the best college players of all time donning the Royal Blue and White (Laettner, Hurley, Hill). By the 1999 dominant squad Duke had, it had become quite fashionable to hate Duke, and has only become more so ever since. But I still enjoy watching them when I can, though the only must see games are against UNC every year. Seeing a game at Cameron Indoor is on my bucket list for sure.

Living in LA the last 9 years, I have slowly been adopting UCLA as favorite, but they haven't risen high enough to unseat those 2.

Edited by CMJ

Notre Dame. I grew up less than 5 miles from the stadium and was raised on the Fighting Irish. My uncle was an usher at the stadium and passed tickets to me from time to time (I still have those stubs).

I was also brainwashed for the Chicago Bears and Chicago Cubs, but that is another story. Suffice it to say that I have been deprogrammed and have been REprogrammed for the Rangers and Cowboys for many years now.

Since I was an undergrad at UT-Pan American, I follow their basketball scores and record as my UNT backup team.

UNT #1

Penn State #2

My father went to Penn State. I became a PSU fan from the time I was about 8 years old (living in PA).

If Penn State played UNT, my loyalties are definately on the UNT side. Fortunately, that will probably never happen any time soon :)

Edited by akriesman

I actually have to admit that UNT IS my 2nd team...

Until the day I die I will be a UTEP Miner... I was going to their games when I was kid with my father and after attending UNT for 4 years I ended up graduating from there when I had to return to El Paso to take care of my mother...

I am an incredibly passionate UNT fan and I love going to the football games as a season ticket holder and other games as time allows...

I often pine for the day when UNT and UTEP will meet again either in basketball or football...

On that day someone is going to get a free pair of tickets while I join the side in orange...

And the next game I will be right back in green and yelling my lungs out...

All that being said, I couldn't really care less about any other teams... I'll watch college sports with a lot of interest, but I don't really care at all who wins...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm only a fan of UNT.

However, I have soft spots for USAFA and Mizzou. My dad went to Air Force and my wife is from Columbia, MO. I have a shirt from Mizzou, mostly because last time we were in Columbia it was way colder than I had anticipated and I didn't have anything with long sleeves to wear to the soccer game we went to.

We have a better soccer stadium than they have. Theirs is bigger, but ours is much nicer.

#1 - UNT

#2 - Texas - Spent my childhood as a UT fan, spent lots of time as a kid in Austin and on Campus with family living near campus, going to games. I know it is popular on this board to hate Texas, but I just can't.

#3 - USC - Yeah, I know, you all hate me now... Dad went to USC so I was raised on USC football.

#4 - Mizzou - See #3, but it's my Mom instead.

#5 - TCU & Boise (or any mid-major ruining the BCS Picnic) - For obvious reasons - If things could go our way for 10 minutes for a change, I think we're as much as sleeping giant as these guys were not that long ago. Any Mid-Major crashing the party makes me happy

#6 - Texas Tech - Had lots of friends who went there, and enjoyed some time out there (notably in the late 90's when we went out there to kick their ass... twice) and love the environment out there. Hard not to pull for 'Tech.

#7 - Anyone Playing SMU

#8 - Anyone Playing Notre Dame

#9 - Anyone Playing an SEC Team

#10 - Anyone Playing OU

West Virginia, Marshall, and Ohio State. My dad grew up in the area and in the same city as Marshall, so it rubbed off on me growing up, plus I have alot of family who went to Marshall or who are currently attending.

TCU because my mom went there.

Boise St because how they built their program and they are fighting for us non-BcS programs.

South Florida because they went from a start up to a BcS conference.

The "little guy" against a BcS opponent.

Whoever is playing Texas, Oklahoma, or SMU.

...Who Is Your 2'nd College Team You Want To Win

It's a tie: UT and UH

Of course, during the Darrell Royal years.

...and Bill Yeoman years, too

GMG!

Just when we start telling our current students that it is ok to be a North Texas fan and to wear OUR gear. Be a man Plum and delete this now!

• Upvote 5