Riley Out At Qb

Per Tim MacMahon's Twitter feed. Arm problems move Dodge permanently to WR.

My post had a link. I believe I'm a better person than you, and if not, I'll take my lumps.

i don't know how to feel right now. i think riley will be a great addition to the wr corp, someone like carey who we can use in the saint's package with a good threat to throw, but in my opinion i believe we take a step back in the qb position. this will probably hurt dunbar's numbers too.

Edited by Green Crazy

i don't know how to feel right now. i think riley will be a great addition to the wr corp, someone like carey who we can use in the saint's package with a good threat to throw, but in my opinion i believe we take a step back in the qb position. this will probably hurt dunbar's numbers too.

Very good points, we head into another season without a proven QB. And yes it will hurt Lance. Might need to pick up a late qualifying Juco qb for insurance if I was Todge,,,

Don't discount Thompson as a possible improvement at QB this year. He has the size, arm, and ability to play the position, and really showed something in that 4 play, 68 yard drive against a 1st team Sun Belt defense. I think you will see him as a three year starter for this program.

• Upvote 3

Per Tim MacMahon's Twitter feed. Arm problems move Dodge permanently to WR.

who ever thinks this is a set back does not know who Derek Thompson AKA "D-WHIP. This guy is going to be the starter for the next three years, last week in practice Carneles called out D-WHIP for the player of the week. 6'4 225 drove down on ark st in his one drive. Most importantly guys in the locker room believe in him because of his drive and wanting to be better, and has the pose of a champion!!!!

This isn't a big deal. Many of us said from Day One that he didn't have the body to take the hits at QB at this level. It's not good that we had to be proven right; but, it happened.

Now, we can see him at a position where he can really help the team. I still want to see him get a shot at returning kickoffs and punts.

As a receiver, I think he has the shiftiness to be like former OU/current Baltimore Raven WR Mark Clayton. Stature-wise, they are almost identical. Their slashing running styles in the open field are identical.

It will be exciting to see how he develops under coach Hines. To me, this more than makes up for the off-season loss of William Cole...who, again, was about the same size as Riley.

2010 is going to be a great season. We'll have strong-armed quarterbacks throwing to fleet-footed receivers. And, when opponents drop that safety out of the box or pull backers to go nickel and dime, we'll be hitting them with Lance Dunbar through an experienced OL.

The only question still remaining is where to display the 2010 Sun Belt championship in the new stadium...and, whether we'll have enough money to keep Todd Dodge and Chico Canales around for 2011 and beyond.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Very good points, we head into another season without a proven QB. And yes it will hurt Lance. Might need to pick up a late qualifying Juco qb for insurance if I was Todge,,,

Respectfully disagree Harry. Any juco QB would need get here in the spring to be a viable option to help the team in the fall. I say give Baine more reps and individual coaching and then we should be fine.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but as TFLF mentions, there were legitimate concerns about the abuse a QB takes at this level in this offense particularly, and whether Riley could withstand it long-term. I was hoping another year of growth and weight-room work could do the trick.

This will definitely make QB development with the offense CRITICAL during spring/summer, and it's now a lot more interesting. One thing is for sure--RD will now be another home run threat at slot or wherever he is on the field, and this could be a blessing in disguise for not only him, but the offense overall. Best of luck to him.

Oh boy... :unsure:

I guess I'd like to see Tune start the season with Thompson getting some reps in somehow (hopefully mopping up UNT's lopsided victories) and, unless Tune is killing the competition, Thompson starting by the time conference games roll around.

At least Riley is on the field somewhere. Could make for a heck of an end around play (although I think that's how he threw his first carreer int...)

I think I agree with TFLF in that Riley moving to WR makes the loss of Cole sting much less.

WOW! Sorry to see this happen, but I am sure Coach Dodge and Riley are doing the right thing for both Riley and the team. Riley will be fine in the WR position, and I will look forward to seeing him develop and play. He's a great kid and has a great family to support his move to WR. It just has to be tough, but I will be willing to bet that you see no indication from Riley or Coach Dodge that he is anything but a team player and is looking forward to helping the team win. Like FFR, I look forward to seeing Riley in the slot position. His quickness and hands should be a real asset. Who knows, we may have just witnessed the "birth" of one of UNT's all-time great slot receivers...we'll see about that, but it will be interesting and exciting to watch.

I do think UNT will be fine at the QB position with Tune and Thompson. It will be a good battle to see which of the two actually come out of spring and fall practice as the #1. Not sure UNT even needs to look at the Juco ranks for another QB. At this point I am thinking UNT is just fine "as is"...time will tell. This makes the spring game this Sunday even more exciting. I assume Riley will get some snaps at WR...we'll see how that goes. I am hopeful the Mean Green faithful give him a big "welcome" when he steps on the field.

This just has to be tough for Riley, but I guessing you will never know that from his approach to his new position and from his public comments. Class kid...classy family!

GO MEAN GREEN...good luck Riley and welcome to the WR corps!

Disappointing news. I think our running game just took a major hit. We just went from hoping the TE and over the middle plays would help us keep the defense honest to absolutely having to get production there to keep the running game from getting clogged at the line.

I think it helps the run game because we now have 2 big arms that can keep the defense on their heels if Canales takes the leash off of the QB's. They are not running threats or at least that is the opinion but with more established routes and use of TE's the running game should flourish.

• Upvote 1

I think it helps the run game because we now have 2 big arms that can keep the defense on their heels if Canales takes the leash off of the QB's. They are not running threats or at least that is the opinion but with more established routes and use of TE's the running game should flourish.

That's how I see it as well. With two deep ballers we can now stretch the field a bit more. That does nothing but open up the middle for the TE and the RB position. And the fact we will have a fullback/H back at times means we will see more multiple play sets than we have ever seen during the Dodge era.

It's all GOOD and all GREEN!

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I have to say, I am a little disappointed by this news. While Riley didn't have the strongest arm, I was interested to see what he could do under Canales. I am glad to have Riley at WR where his speed can be used in a number of different ways. And I am excited to see what Thompson can do with this offense in the spring game and get a better idea of who our starter will be.

• Upvote 1

whoa... sad news but Riley's best contributions to this team in my opinion were always his speed and his competitiveness. In my opinion it gives you another leader on the offensive side of the ball who will be a playmaker - one way or another. I guess I kind of see him as a Wes Welker type receiver.

• Upvote 1

I am glad that we are going to put the one who is most capable of getting the job done. If it was Riley, then he needs to be out there. If it is Derek or Nathan... than so be it.

I don't see this as good or bad news. Rather, us trying to put our best foot forward.

Riley is going to be a beast in the slot.

• Upvote 1