Big 12 Pursuing Duke

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I think both Gonzaga and Duke like where they are at.

I used to think colleges were more loyal to tradition and rivalry than $$. 

But it turns out they can be bought too. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Y'all really are clueless.

I bet Duke is watching the addition of Cal/Stanford/SMU, and the attempts by FSU/Clemson to buy out (I bet others aren't far behind) carefully.    ACC will be a dinosaur (like the PAC12) soon enough.   Enjoy your couple of years with it in tact.   I honestly hope to have SMU back in the AAC when the dust settles.

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I bet Duke is watching the addition of Cal/Stanford/SMU, and the attempts by FSU/Clemson to buy out (I bet others aren't far behind) carefully.    ACC will be a dinosaur (like the PAC12) soon enough.   Enjoy your couple of years with it in tact.   I honestly hope to have SMU back in the AAC when the dust settles.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

• Downvote 2

Duke has to keep its options open.

The ACC is toast if the projected defections happen. Seven current ACC members; Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, Miami, NC State, Virginia, and Virginia Tech are exploring options with Florida State and Clemson already suing to escape.

On the other side The Big Ten wants Notre Dame and has already annexed about every single Irish rival except Stanford. They are now in perfect position to take both.

Virginia and North Carolina are the top prizes bolting from the ACC because of their media value and are highly desired by both the Big Ten and the SEC.

There will be a mass exodus of remaining schools applying for Big 12 membership if Stanford, Notre Dame, Virginia, and North Carolina all accept their forecasted P2 invitations.

This will leave Boston College and Wake Forest with the Washington State/Oregon State dilemma; owning a legendary conference name but without any media contracts, and Cal and SMU relegated to the discard table again.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Duke has to keep its options open.

The ACC is toast if the projected defections happen. Seven current ACC members; Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, Miami, NC State, Virginia, and Virginia Tech are exploring options with Florida State and Clemson already suing to escape.

On the other side The Big Ten wants Notre Dame and has already annexed about every single Irish rival except Stanford. They are now in perfect position to take both.

Virginia and North Carolina are the top prizes bolting from the ACC because of their media value and are highly desired by both the Big Ten and the SEC.

There will be a mass exodus of remaining schools applying for Big 12 membership if Stanford, Notre Dame, Virginia, and North Carolina all accept their forecasted P2 invitations.

This will leave Boston College and Wake Forest with the Washington State/Oregon State dilemma; owning a legendary conference name but without any media contracts, and Cal and SMU relegated to the discard table again.

Apparently this is funny to SMU guy.   

Also, don't forget Louisville & Pitt in that "leftover" bin.

20 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Apparently this is funny to SMU guy.   

Also, don't forget Louisville & Pitt in that "leftover" bin.

The Big 12 is chomping at the bit to get ahold of Louisville and Pitt once they make themselves available.

• Skeptical Eagle 2

On 3/27/2024 at 12:15 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

The money commit by SMU is greater than a lot of the P5’s. There will be no turning back on 

• Puking Eagle 1

Just now, Wag Tag said:

The money commit by SMU is greater than a lot of the P5’s. There will be no turning back on 

Sure!  Not nearly as big as the ones who are breaking off though. 
Washington State and Oregon State have large money commits.   Pitt, Louisville, Wake Forest, etc... all do too.  But they're not USC/Washington/Oregon/Clemson/FSU/etc...

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

They draw flies.  BBall they could actually be a serious force b/c they won't ever have vast swaths of empty seats or have their entire stadium sold to the opposing fans.  But they are never going to get back to the truly big-time b/c football will always hold them back.  It, also, remains to be seen how much they would be willing to fund their program should the ACC fall apart and they found themselves back with the G5s.  They fell off almost immediately after Larry Brown left.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

They draw flies.  BBall they could actually be a serious force b/c they won't ever have vast swaths of empty seats or have their entire stadium sold to the opposing fans.  But they are never going to get back to the truly big-time b/c football will always hold them back.  It, also, remains to be seen how much they would be willing to fund their program should the ACC fall apart and they found themselves back with the G5s.  They fell off almost immediately after Larry Brown left.

As with us let’s see if the teams coming in to play draw more attention and fans.   The NIL pockets are unlimited.

• Puking Eagle 1

On 4/4/2024 at 1:23 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The Big 12 already turned down Louisville.  What makes you think they'd go after Pitt?

That would have been back when the Big XII was UT, OU, and the nameless dwarfs. The Big XII didn't need additional viewers and nobody wanted more divisions to the pie.

As per the video, ESPN will not want to fund a severely depleted AAC at its current value and has essentially an escape clause if the ACC drops below 15 members for even a tiny amount of time. 

ESPN is partners with the Big XII and would consider the Louisville and Pitt viewership to be incredibly valuable. And... the seven ACC schools fighting to leave the conference prior to June 30 (Magnificent 7) will need will need at least one more escapee to join them to dissolve the conference.

Edited by ADLER
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

6 hours ago, ADLER said:

ACC guy now speculating same story as BIG XII podcaster. "75% chance FSU leaves ACC" before Stanford, Cal, and our little sis join". June 30 is deadline for 'Magnificent Seven' to dissolve the ACC, and ESPN can walk if only two leave by then.

$50M per year vs $20M per year will make schools do a lot of things to get out of ACC jail.

• Haha 1