Thank You, Rick Villarreal

Whatever you did to make the finances on this thing work, thank you!

And, thank you Todd Dodge, for taking a 21st Century/CEO approach to leading an FBS program that many successful coaches at this level take. You will not be disappointed!

I can't believe how giddy I am at this hire! I never thought I'd see anyone of this caliber at UNT.

This defense under Deloach and Nelson, I believe, will be good for another 11 point drop in points again to the mid-20s range. And, the offense under Canales, I'm sure will be good for another 10-15 per game.

Damn this is big!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And, thank you Todd Dodge, for taking a 21st Century/CEO approach to leading an FBS program that many successful coaches at this level take. You will not be disappointed!

I can't believe how giddy I am at this hire! I never thought I'd see anyone of this caliber at UNT.

This defense under Deloach and Nelson, I believe, will be good for another 11 point drop in points again to the mid-20s range. And, the offense under Canales, I'm sure will be good for another 10-15 per game.

Damn this is big!

be honest, this hire gives you wood.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Damn this is big!

I like your optimism. But, I am still concerned majorly about our interior D-line and I think our d succeeds or fails based largely on them. And, since we aren't really helping the situation by not bringing in anybody really has me disappointed in how much better we will be there.

I hope i will get to the point where you are to help change my attitude.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

be honest, this hire gives you wood.

As Jub-Jub and the Musers would say, yes...this hire gets my football pants excited! And, it's about time. It's been a long time since I've been excited about anything in the program. I'd been whoring myself out to my grad school alma mater's athletic department as a result.

I like your optimism. But, I am still concerned majorly about our interior D-line and I think our d succeeds or fails based largely on them. And, since we aren't really helping the situation by not bringing in anybody really has me disappointed in how much better we will be there.

I hope i will get to the point where you are to help change my attitude.

I hear you on the D-line. I really do. In fact, earlier this week I lamented the fact that we didn't have anyone on board. I'm placing my faith in Charr to work the fat off of Shavod so he can be more effective this year.

Also, you look at what we have and it's admittedly raw. It's young - DTs White and Cantly are big guys who should grow into run stoppers. At DE - your looking at LaChris Anyiam and John Webber in the 280s. This can be a big wall of a line.

Last year there were too many new parts with a new coach; but, they were still more productive than anything Robert Drake ever ran out there (and he did so with more experienced players!).

To me, it's a time and who's-in-charge thing:

Mike Nelson, who shaped run-stopping DLs with Dan McCarney at Iowa State during their mid 90s-to mid-00s run of good defenses

Gary Deloach, the architect of our old shut down defenses of the ealry 00s

Charr Gahagan, who will have worked with the players for a full year by the time fall rolls around

The thing has to evolved. Remember this thing was in shambles when Dodge came in and tried to let high school coaches run it. The Big Boy Coaches got it down 11 points per game with some young guys last year. This is year two of Big Boy Coaches all around for the defense. I don't see how it couldn't get better.

My worry was always the offense and its ding dong playcalling, critical turnovers, and inability to make in-game adjustments to what was being thrown at them. They often put the defense in bad positions last year. I truly think Canales can eliminate the mistakes - and certainly have more credible gameplan and be able to tweak it in-game.

Combine that with what should be natural maturing of the defense under Deloach and Nelson, ans I think you'll be joining me on the new, excited Mean Green alumni side of things.

TFLF,

I'm not going to lie, your optimism is palpable especially when compared to the dark stinky pessimistic hole of the essay you wrote (not that I blame you for the pessimism, at least a little bit)... It is also infections! I haven't been able to do any real work here at the office for the past hour or so since I heard the news!

Great hire, experienced coaches all around and what we think are going to be great players all about to explode on the field for the final year of Fouts! What a great spring this is going to be!

TFLF,

I'm not going to lie, your optimism is palpable especially when compared to the dark stinky pessimistic hole of the essay you wrote (not that I blame you for the pessimism, at least a little bit)... It is also infections! I haven't been able to do any real work here at the office for the past hour or so since I heard the news!

Great hire, experienced coaches all around and what we think are going to be great players all about to explode on the field for the final year of Fouts! What a great spring this is going to be!

Okay...look, though...was I wrong before? I mean, we were 5-31 from 2007 to 2009 with three wins against hapless Western Kentucky. And, I mean, wins over hapless Western Kentucky that were genuine, unnecessarily hard-fought struggles. Dadgum near everyone else took the candy from the baby with WKU. For us, it was like wrestling King Kong for the last banana in the bunch! It was pitiful, terribly pitiful.

I've always claimed that the right coach and coaching staff can turn a program around in one season. I've given ample examples from big schools, little schools, BCS schools, non-BCS schools, public schools, private schools.

We will now see if I'm right about the coaching thing. If I am, I promise to gloat as much in a positive manner about being right as I did in a negative manner about...being right.

I'll join in on the celebration/party thread. I'm very excited about this hire for a number of reasons. Thank you RV and TD. Whether true or not, I'm going to choose to believe that TD did his homework and some internal soul-searching before going after Canales. I have a lot of respect for TD's decision to bring in Canales and virtually change everything he's done in his 24-year coaching career by relinquishing many of his offensive duties to Canales. That is a sure sign that he's growing, learning and adapting to coaching at the collegiate level.

And, despite what many of the GMG board believed, this hire proves that we shouldn't set our bar too low when considering coaches and/or players who may consider joining the Mean Green. Many of you thought a coach with a greater than $100K salary was out of the question based on money alone and many more refused to believe Dodge would ever consider relinquishing his play-calling duties, virtually eliminating the need for an offensive coordinator. Well, thank you again RV and TD...much to our surprise, you have proven us all wrong. The new stadium and the new hire prove that we are serious about elevating our football program to the next level. I am hopeful these changes will translate into wins on the football field as well as wins in the recruiting war.

I believe in the Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 3

Damn this is big!

I, too, must both apologize to RV and congratulate RV because I really believed that it wasn't going to happen when money seemed to be the hurdle, but I give all credit to RV for getting this done. Very impresseive!! My negativity yesterday about $$$ stopping this deal was wrong and I am thankful to be able to "eat my crow" (figuratively, FFR) on this hire!!

I totally agree. This is a GREAT hire for the program, and I think is an amazing pick and shows that RV and GB are serious about coming to the table with the funding and TD is serious about improving this program and isn't being a stubborn jackass about this like many predicted. This is a great day for the Mean Green Nation!

• Upvote 1

I, too, must both apologize to RV and congratulate RV because I really believed that it wasn't going to happen when money seemed to be the hurdle, but I give all credit to RV for getting this done. Very impresseive!! My negativity yesterday about $$$ stopping this deal was wrong and I am thankful to be able to "eat my crow" (figuratively, FFR) on this hire!!

Do we know the $$$ involved in this hire? Did DeLoach get a bump too? Did RV have to take out a stadium equity loan to make this happen or perhaps a very "green" donor suddenly appeared? It is a good hire, and a surprising relinquishment of responsibilities from Dodge...a sign nothing is being held back for this season. As previously posted, it's good to see us go after someone at a level we thought we couldn't afford. :)

Do we know the $$$ involved in this hire? Did DeLoach get a bump too? Did RV have to take out a stadium equity loan to make this happen or perhaps a very "green" donor suddenly appeared? It is a good hire, and a surprising relinquishment of responsibilities from Dodge...a sign nothing is being held back for this season. As previously posted, it's good to see us go after someone at a level we thought we couldn't afford. :)

This is great. At the end of the season, many on this board, including me, had our pitchforks out, and were calling for change. I feel this hire is not only great for the future success of our team, but has also brought this board back together again. Thank you Dodge, and thank you Villareal. I truely believe that this type of planning and hiring will lead to a stronger football program then we have every had at UNT. Maybe I'm jumpin' the gun but I feel so good about this hire and the long term success of our program, that even if we don't see 6 wins next year, and we are staying competitive in our games, I'd be for staying the course with Dodge. His understanding of the dinamics of this hire, and willingness to hand over the offense, really makes me believe he will be a good BSC head coach. I really respect him for stepping aside. It couldn't have been easy to do. When he was first hired, I hoped he would be the Joe Paterno of North Texas. This hire makes me feel like it could still happen.

The more I read the more afraid I am, as if I have fallen into an episode of the Twilight Zone. A world where UNT has a great hire, TD is still here and handing over his offense, and a world where TFLF is giddy on the Kool Aid. Things are all Topsy-turvy and I feel a bit dizzy. Maybe I have died because even GMG looks different? Parallel Universe?

I have the goose bumps.

• Upvote 3

Guest GrayEagleOne

If everyone is honest and sincere (and a Mean Green fan) and chooses to post on this thread it should be the longest thread in history.

We already owe him a debt of gratitude for his past accomplishments (too numerous to list) but this should cap it off. On second thought, a seven or eight win season would be even greater.

Anyway, kudos to Rick Villereal; keep up the good work.

• Upvote 1

You just cannot imagine how I am smiling today after reading all these "positive posts". I have to laugh because it is amazing to me that some actually thought RV and TD were just sitting around doing nothing and waiting for all the "good hires" to go to other programs.

I do hope this restores the faith for some and will allow them to believe a little in the possibilities for this team and coaching staff. I know that if things turn out well in 2010 that TD will still not get credit from many of our posters, but I am certain that will not make TD lose any sleep.

It is a great day for the Mean Green! I do think TD has realized it is time for him to be the CEO of the program and not a coordinator. That bodes very well for some real positive changes for 2010.

OK, so I trust we can all agree now that "good things are happening for UNT football"! laugh.gif

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

This is great. At the end of the season, many on this board, including me, had our pitchforks out, and were calling for change. I feel this hire is not only great for the future success of our team, but has also brought this board back together again. Thank you Dodge, and thank you Villareal. I truely believe that this type of planning and hiring will lead to a stronger football program then we have every had at UNT. Maybe I'm jumpin' the gun but I feel so good about this hire and the long term success of our program, that even if we don't see 6 wins next year, and we are staying competitive in our games, I'd be for staying the course with Dodge. His understanding of the dinamics of this hire, and willingness to hand over the offense, really makes me believe he will be a good BSC head coach. I really respect him for stepping aside. It couldn't have been easy to do. When he was first hired, I hoped he would be the Joe Paterno of North Texas. This hire makes me feel like it could still happen.

Glad I was wrong, I said Dodge would not turn over the reins or make changes. This guy had some good references. Heck, TD now says all jobs are up for grabs including the qb. Wish Riley all the best, but I will support whatever decision Canales makes after spring ball or the fall.

Don't you think it's possible some of this may not be known? Sure, the details of the contract will be subject to freedom of information, but what about other considerations that might be just verbal assurances between the principals? Not to suggest anything illegal, just saying that when Canales mentioned "what's best for his family", there may have been some information provided to him during the process that were about the overall compensation, not just the salary for this coming year. In fact, I had been hoping for him to mention making a decision based on what's best for his family, and he did.

Pretty excited about this hire.

Regardless of the outcome this next season, you can't say Coach Dodge and RV didn't do absolutely everything in their power to turn this thing around? I think Coach Dodge has shown to be one of the most flexible coaches we have had in many years, and has shown it in a very short time to do what he thinks is necessary to win.

And that's really all we can ask of him?

How much is an extremely early reservation flight to Newburgh, NY running right now?

Rick

• Upvote 3

Pretty excited about this hire.

Regardless of the outcome this next season, you can't say Coach Dodge and RV didn't do absolutely everything in their power to turn this thing around? I think Coach Dodge has shown to be one of the most flexible coaches we have had in many years, and has shown it in a very short time to do what he thinks is necessary to win.

And that's really all we can ask of him?

How much is an extremely early reservation flight to Newburgh, NY running right now?

Rick

Maybe in some areas, but it shouldn't have taken this long to address the offensive shortcomings in his system at the D1 level. After two years he should have maybe looked at overhauling some areas that many of us have discussed at nauseum (more run packages, TE's, etc.). But I guess this is a better late than never situation. It's amazing how people are more open to compromise when their backs are against the wall. Love the hire for several reasons. Also a guy that could maybe take over if TD is not asked to return.

I like replying to Rick a lot more in this part of the board.

• Upvote 4

I am happy about the hire and to some degree it does restore my interest into next season, but don't you guys think we may be a bit knee-jerk about this and what our 2010 season will look like? I am hopeful that this thing succeeds but I am not ready to declare anything yet. For your sakes, I hope you guys tread lightly. We might be in for some big disappointment. I am still in a wait and see mode.

On a somewhat of a side note... i think it hilarious that someone has suggested that we don't have to have a winning record to keep dodge around longer. And to take it further, that because of this hire Dodge could actually be a BCS coach. Not anytime in this decade. You have got to be kidding me!

Sincerely,

A negative, but hopeful, ned

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1