Rice Vs Smut, 7:00pm Tonite Espn

NT80

Coach Dodge can't emphasize enough how important it will be for Vizza to make good decisions. I agree, Rice does look very beatable and DeLoach's philosophy will play well against them. We just need to limit our mistakes and we can take this one. And I'm also surprised that Willis hasn't gotten any snaps. I guess Jones has decided to take his lumps and get the young guy some PT.

I'm wholly entertained by this beatdown of SMU. ...though Rice scares me more now.

Their defense lacks any kind of morale at this point in the game (similar to many 4th Qtr scenarios for NT last year), and SMU's quarterback isn't helping anything with his 3 picks (and counting). Gio's better and Rice does indeed look like a team that NT can definitely play with.

i guess we're supposed to bag on SMU at any opportunity but i think we can all gagree that jones will greatly improve that program in the same way dodge will fix things here. what i saw last night was a team full of youth learning a new system against another team with experience at critical positions running a more familiar system.

i guess we're supposed to bag on SMU at any opportunity but i think we can all gagree that jones will greatly improve that program in the same way dodge will fix things here. what i saw last night was a team full of youth learning a new system against another team with experience at critical positions running a more familiar system.

If you believe in jones

Did anyone see the film clip of the Rice Coach (and the mascot) standing out in the main area of the Rice Campus giving away Pizza to the Rice students and encouraging them to come to the game? Now, THAT is a hard working coach.

Regardless of how things work out with TD, when he moves on, North Texas needs to hire someone very much like that Rice coach or Don Carthel at WT A&M.... http://www.amarillo.com/stories/082408/wts_wtsports1.shtml

Of course, if some coach showed up in the middle of the North Texas campus giving away slices of Pizza, eventually some of the students would bitch that theirs was cold, or didn't have enough cheese.....or "why can't I have more than one slice?". After all, they are North Texas students...... :rolleyes:

I don't think SMU is any different than we were last year and probably this year. It just takes a while to install a completely new system. I am no fan of SMU, but they are in virtually the same position as were last year. the only difference that I see is that they have a complete staff that came from the college ranks so their transition maybe a little faster than ours.

On a Spread front, with the exception of Florida and Urban Meyers system, what is the deal teams defenses that run the spread? It seems like the teams that run it tend to have little defense or the defense is just way behind the offense.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't particularly like June Jones. I think that 'June Cometh' is an appropriate slogan because it makes me think of 'iceman cometh' and JJ is pretty much an iceman. But, he can flat out coach. In nine years he won almost twice as many games as he lost and that was at the 1-A level. He also has coached in the pros.

He didn't lose the game last night; his team did. SMU's defense was bad but not as bad as the score indicated. Interceptions were responsible for one Rice TD and set up another. This is a learning year for SMU and they may be lucky to win two games. Once Jones gets his players, the team will be totally different. I'm not concerned about them now because none of the players will be around when we play SMU next. Rice is another situation altogether. They are only a few weeks off.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

On a Spread front, with the exception of Florida and Urban Meyers system, what is the deal teams defenses that run the spread? It seems like the teams that run it tend to have little defense or the defense is just way behind the offense.

I think it has to do with the mentality of spread minded coaches. They have a better chance of beating you by scoring on offense than buckling down on D. The more talented players will always go to the offensive side of the ball, thus scholarships will always favor this type of player. Also, the talent level needed on defense to stop big time offenses is hard to come by. These caliber players almost always end up at "bigger" programs.

Teams like Florida can pretty much hand pick recruits at almost any position. Us 'little" guys, not so much.

I don't particularly like June Jones. I think that 'June Cometh' is an appropriate slogan because it makes me think of 'iceman cometh' and JJ is pretty much an iceman. But, he can flat out coach. In nine years he won almost twice as many games as he lost and that was at the 1-A level. He also has coached in the pros.

He didn't lose the game last night; his team did. SMU's defense was bad but not as bad as the score indicated. Interceptions were responsible for one Rice TD and set up another. This is a learning year for SMU and they may be lucky to win two games. Once Jones gets his players, the team will be totally different. I'm not concerned about them now because none of the players will be around when we play SMU next. Rice is another situation altogether. They are only a few weeks off.

Maybe he can and maybe he can't, don't discount that he has had easy-ish schedules and as many as 9 home games in a season. A home game under any coach in Hawaii is slanted in their favor for numbers of reasons from jet lag to away teams having focus problems while in the island's of Hawaii.