Todd Dodge Radio Show

ntsumgspe

I'll be there because I want to see how you explain this. Absolutely no fundamentals--even in jr. high you learn to square your shoulders to make a tackle, pride or inspiration? this team was dead when it took the field and proceded to check it in more as the game wore on, speed anywhere on the whole team?--ran like they were wearing Army boots, in shape?-- hands on hips entire second half, and on the one TD did the receiver not get the TD speech on when you get to the end zone act like you've been there before? I hope another team shows up for SMU ' cause if this one has no more pride than they showed, the embarrasement will be in our own back yard not just being the laughing stock of the nation. Outside of FIU and Western KY. who do we even match up with in the SBC? Yea we need a new league --The Southland Conference would be a much better fit. Somewhere there has to be a big smile on Darryl Dickey's face when he sees this atrocity.

If Dickey is going to do any smiling over NT's performance, he better do it now.

2007 - Learning year for everyone. Only a few of TD's recruits on team as a result of a late and rushed recruiting session.

2008 - TD's first full recruiting class will only be freshmen.

2009 - Young NT team should start to seriously compete in Sun Belt.

2010 - Sunbelt domination a possiblity.

2011 - TD's first recruiting class will be seniors. This is THE year, if it is going to happen.

You cannot fully grade the job done by this regime until the 4th or 5th year. In the meantime, we need to embrace the postive attitude that TD and his staff have brought to this university.

Edited by akriesman

If Dickey is going to do any smiling over NT's performance, he better do it now.

2007 - Learning year for everyone. Only a few of TD's recruits on team as a result of a late and rushed recruiting session.

2011 - TD's first recruiting class will be seniors. This is THE year, if it is going to happen.

You cannot fully grade the job done by this regime until the 4th or 5th year. In the meantime, we need to embrace the postive attitude that TD and his staff have brought to this university.

I think most of us understand but now you kids with your loud music and your Dan Fogelberg your Zima, hula hoops and Pac-Man video games, don't you see? People today have attention spans that can only be measured in nanoseconds. Now these people demand instant gratification.

I'll be there because I want to see how you explain this. Absolutely no fundamentals--even in jr. high you learn to square your shoulders to make a tackle, pride or inspiration? this team was dead when it took the field and proceded to check it in more as the game wore on, speed anywhere on the whole team?--ran like they were wearing Army boots, in shape?-- hands on hips entire second half, and on the one TD did the receiver not get the TD speech on when you get to the end zone act like you've been there before? I hope another team shows up for SMU ' cause if this one has no more pride than they showed, the embarrasement will be in our own back yard not just being the laughing stock of the nation. Outside of FIU and Western KY. who do we even match up with in the SBC? Yea we need a new league --The Southland Conference would be a much better fit. Somewhere there has to be a big smile on Darryl Dickey's face when he sees this atrocity.

How do you square your hips to something you can't get in front of? The players in their skill positions were way better than our players defending them, it's that simple. Another reason why it looked like our players were running in place was because while their starters came out after the first half, ours stayed in and played against fresh legs while OU substituted in other players. And your a fool for even questioning the teams pride.

go to photos and look at #10, for an example of their superior athletes.

No offense, and I really do not mean to insult you, but that is ridiculous. No coach should be given 4 years to make a team competitive. That is crazy talk! (sorry...that might have been a little insulting, and I apologize)

Honestly, I agree that we should give TD a pass on this game, but a coach worth his salt will play the cards he is dealt, as in take the kids he currently has, and make them competitive. I do not mean beat the likes of OU, the #8 team in the nation, but make it respectable. Hell, we would not be having all of these threads if we had kept them below 40 and we scored a time or two. 35-3...35-7...even something like that would have been respected. But 79 points!!! (or, has it gone up some more since last count???)

Sorry, I believe in the Mean Green...I do. But I am also realistic...we got out coached, and looked quite pathetic in several areas. Can we improve enough to beat SMU, be competitive in the SB? Last I checked, those other conference brethren did quite well this past weekend.

No, we do not have 4 years...we need to do it (be competitive) now with what we have.

BTW...Vizza really knows how to throw a football. It was a real pleasure watching him. I especially like that long pass to the sidelines (I think it was his second series in), the ball was not caught, but it really was a perfect throw and the sweetest spiral I think I have ever witnessed. I was out throwing with my daughter tonight, and tried to throw like that. Boy, he really does have some mad skills! :)

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

So anyway,

Yes I'll be at Hooters on Monday. I'm very interested to see how Todd responds to this loss. I'm still optomistic about this season. Personally I don't really care about our W/L record this year, I'm just hoping we can make each game competitive from here on out.

p.s. That Vizza pass WAS amazing, I'm crossing my fingers that he will be named the starter by conference play.

[sorry, I believe in the Mean Green...I do. But I am also realistic...we got out coached, and looked quite pathetic in several areas. Can we improve enough to beat SMU, be competitive in the SB? Last I checked, those other conference brethren did quite well this past weekend.

Gee really! You mean a coach that is making 3.5 million a year, has won a national championship, and has a top 10 recruiting class every year out coached ours who just came up from the High School ranks, took over a team that won only 5 games in 2 years, has a bottom 50 recruiting class every year, and makes only a quarter of a million dollars.

Hell i guess T Dodge just insnt our man then. Wait I've got an idea, lets go out and hire Bob Stoops to come here.

One last thing, ARE YOU SERIOUS????????

[sorry, I believe in the Mean Green...I do. But I am also realistic...we got out coached, and looked quite pathetic in several areas. Can we improve enough to beat SMU, be competitive in the SB? Last I checked, those other conference brethren did quite well this past weekend.

Gee really! You mean a coach that is making 3.5 million a year, has won a national championship, and has a top 10 recruiting class every year out coached ours who just came up from the High School ranks, took over a team that won only 5 games in 2 years, has a bottom 50 recruiting class every year, and makes only a quarter of a million dollars.

Hell i guess T Dodge just insnt our man then. Wait I've got an idea, lets go out and hire Bob Stoops to come here.

Well Said!

Guest GrayEagleOne

First, I have to agree that giving Todd until 2011 is too long. By then, half of his first recruiting class will have graduated (Vizza, Mosley, DeSoto, Ealey, Montgomery, Dibrell, B. Johnson, Lewis and perhaps another receiver or two). Even his star transfer, Fentriss, will be gone.

Second, I don't think that he'll need it because I believe that he'll be contending for a conference title by 2009; maybe even next year).

Thirdly, I think that we all saw glimpses that the offense may be doing well by this year's end. Vizza and the receivers just need a little work. The offensive line is even better than expected. Mosley's 11 yerd run made me feel a little hopeful of a running attack.

My biggest disappointment was the defense. When a supposedly veteran defense gives up ten touchdowns in a game, they have serious problems.

The only sem-bright area of defense that I noticed was the interior defensive line. Stevenson, Isaac Thomas, et al didn't get great penetration but Murray wasn't able to run much of anything inside.

Safety, thanks largely to Weathers, was another decent area. Agbottah didn't have a stat but Ealey had a couple of tackles. Higgs and Cotton played but I don't remember seeing either Warren or Chatman.

The linebacking was okay, especially Holman, but didn't carry the defense as much as it has in the past. They were too frequently blocked out on passes and sweeps. Most of the passes were relatively short; it was the yards after catch that ate our lunch.

I still don't know what's going on at the corners. Dom Green didn't play as far as I could see, and he is our most experienced corner. Chatman was a decent backup last year but got moved to safety, where he doesn't play. Roman got picked on and beaten several times. We are a much weaker secondary than last year. I know that Loren is gone but there was some decent players in the wings. Are they hurt or in the coach's doghouse? Whatever it is I hope that they get the problems solved by Saturday.

I'm reading this thread and thinking we need some perspective.

First, there's no way, given the conference we are in, it takes until 2009 or 2011 to be competitive. Realistically, it could happen this year, and certainly next year. This isn't like Bayor and their never-ending search for a way to become competitive in the Big 12. We're in the Sun Belt, and teams rise and fall pretty quickly due to the hit and miss nature of every school getting more lower level/"project"-type recruits than schools in bigger, more competitive conferences.

Second, it may sound crazy after getting pasted 79-10, but we will only see that kind of athletes OU has one more time at Arkansas, so don't panic. Malcom Kelly is one of the best receivers in the country. He lit Evyn Roman up, as did Juaquin Iglesias. But, remember, Kelly and Iglesias weren't starting their first collegiate games. Both are juniors with tons of experience against other big programs. Once we're back in our conference, things will look different.

Third, statement #2 may make some of you mad because one of your chief complaints about DD was his OOC record. Well, guess what? Rome wasn't built in a day. Getting over the hump for against big time OOC school will take some time. When you look at Appalachian State beating Michigan, you've got to step back and realize that their coach has been there 19 years and has a roster full of players who are coming off back-to-back national titles. Yes, they're I-AA, or whatever they call it now. But, they're not spring chickens just coming out in the yard. We're working with new schemes on both sides of the ball. It's not going to happen overnight against OOC schools the magnitude of OU or Arkansas.

Fourth, the learning curve isn't just with players, but with coaches. Many of us last night wondered why Mendoza didn't give more help to the corners. Well, in the end, it doesn't really matter. If that's the way his defense is, that's the way it is. Players will either sink or swim. You might have noticed OU does the same thing. They play a ton of man converage. Again, the difference is they had juniors who had been working in the same scheme for three years playing man. We didn't. As I've posted a couple of time already, it won't be worry time for me until (and if) Sun Belt teams are abusing our corners. If that happens, then we can question Mendoza 'til the cows come home.

Finally, as one poster said earlier to day, jump out of the mean green kool-aid if you thought we'd compete with OU and Arkansas right off the bat. Dodge did what we wanted - he kept with the game plan. Due to the speed and talent differences, that led to a lopsided score. If you wanted more than that, it'll be pretty much impossible for this or any coaching staff that hits Denton to ever please you.

And, now...SMU.

P.S. - To all of you going to the radio show, please don't spare Dodge to death with "why didn't you do this or that" questions. Give the guy a break. Congratulate him on the things we did well, and thank him for acting competitive at the end. Asking him to pick apart a game where he didn't have the horsepower to stay in the race is going to give alot of people tired head, including him.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

How do you square your hips to something you can't get in front of? The players in their skill positions were way better than our players defending them, it's that simple.

Hey, it's all about the FUNDAMENTALS! Why... if you know the basics of shooting a basketball, anybody can beat Michael Jordan!

<_<

Perhaps an over-simplication with all this, but like the country song....I am a simple man.

Back in the 1980's I was hired to be a D.O.R. (Director of Recruiting) for a tech school over in Fort Worth. It had a sales staff that I inherited and one that I had to work with until I could (eventually) get my own people in there. The sales force I inherited had not been making their numbers collectively for quite awhile, but you can't hardly go in and fire an entire staff. You just work with what you have to work with for the time being until you can slowly (but surely) tweak the deadwood and then bring in your own people, ie, proven sales people from prior schools I had worked. In the tech school business, getting the job done entails reaching quarterly (or monthly) enrollment budgets set by a national Director of Recruiting.

Todd Dodge cannot fire all of his predeccessors recruits of the last 3-4 recruiting years, either; in fact, IMHO, TDodge inherited some good players from the DD Era that I believe once everyone (including all of us) :rolleyes: gets over last night's shell-shock from an OU team that could very well contend for a national championship, we will begin our foundation building in Denton, Texas, America.

All who were excited about Todd Dodge and all the publicity he gave our school after his hiring still need to be just as excited. OU may have had as fast (and quick) a team that I've seen. OU (for those who have forgotten) won the Big 12 football championship last year and who in the Big 12 this Fall is going to take that title away from the Sooners?

It's almost embarrassing to read some responses on this message board based on one game and that a game with a Sooner's team that bombarded our alma mater's team; that is, an OU football program that has a history of running up the score against even more established football programs than Todd Dodge's 1'st Mean Green football team--I repeat.............Todd Dodge's 1'st Mean Green football team.

Yet.............come on, fellow alums/fans, lets try to be different for a change, that is, lets not be the ususal DFW Metroplex college football fan yet instead, lets all be "un-fickle" fans and thats even when our team gets shellacked by Top 10 football teams or even, uh..................maybe even SMU? :scared:

What I see Dodge doing in Denton may require some dis-mantling of what he inherited until he can get all his people to put his program together. Yet the other thing we need to build at UNT needs thousands of new (un-fickle) fans for all of this to really come together in Denton and for us to get to the next level even at the turnstiles. We as Mean Green fans/UNT alums will be as much a part of the equation for success jusst as much as what Coach Todd Dodge & his staff will be expected to deliver--in fact, what we all know by now Todd Dodge really wants to deliver and at the top of that list is our taking that "potential" word out of our UNT vocabulary forever. I work most Saturdays and DJ/Emcee a lot of Saturday evening wedding receptions as well , but I will attend as many Mean Green home games as my schedule allows. As a single income sort of guy, you do what you have to do in that deparment, you know what I mean, Vern? B)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm reading this thread and thinking we need some perspective.

First, there's no way, given the conference we are in, it takes until 2009 or 2011 to be competitive. Realistically, it could happen this year, and certainly next year. This isn't like Bayor and their never-ending search for a way to become competitive in the Big 12. We're in the Sun Belt, and teams rise and fall pretty quickly due to the hit and miss nature of every school getting more lower level/"project"-type recruits than schools in bigger, more competitive conferences.

Second, it may sound crazy after getting pasted 79-10, but we will only see that kind of athletes OU has one more time at Arkansas, so don't panic. Malcom Kelly is one of the best receivers in the country. He lit Evyn Roman up, as did Juaquin Iglesias. But, remember, Kelly and Iglesias weren't starting their first collegiate games. Both are juniors with tons of experience against other big programs. Once we're back in our conference, things will look different.

Third, statement #2 may make some of you mad because one of your chief complaints about DD was his OOC record. Well, guess what? Rome wasn't built in a day. Getting over the hump for against big time OOC school will take some time. When you look at Appalachian State beating Michigan, you've got to step back and realize that their coach has been there 19 years and has a roster full of players who are coming off back-to-back national titles. Yes, they're I-AA, or whatever they call it now. But, they're not spring chickens just coming out in the yard. We're working with new schemes on both sides of the ball. It's not going to happen overnight against OOC schools the magnitude of OU or Arkansas.

Fourth, the learning curve isn't just with players, but with coaches. Many of us last night wondered why Mendoza didn't give more help to the corners. Well, in the end, it doesn't really matter. If that's the way his defense is, that's the way it is. Players will either sink or swim. You might have noticed OU does the same thing. They play a ton of man converage. Again, the difference is they had juniors who had been working in the same scheme for three years playing man. We didn't. As I've posted a couple of time already, it won't be worry time for me until (and if) Sun Belt teams are abusing our corners. If that happens, then we can question Mendoza 'til the cows come home.

Finally, as one poster said earlier to day, jump out of the mean green kool-aid if you thought we'd compete with OU and Arkansas right off the bat. Dodge did what we wanted - he kept with the game plan. Due to the speed and talent differences, that led to a lopsided score. If you wanted more than that, it'll be pretty much impossible for this or any coaching staff that hits Denton to ever please you.

And, now...SMU.

P.S. - To all of you going to the radio show, please don't spare Dodge to death with "why didn't you do this or that" questions. Give the guy a break. Congratulate him on the things we did well, and thank him for acting competitive at the end. Asking him to pick apart a game where he didn't have the horsepower to stay in the race is going to give alot of people tired head, including him.

Dude, I rarely agree with you but I gotta say this and the previous post you mentioned earlier were great. Perspective? Exactly!

Thank you,

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Finch,

You make some excellent points and I have to give my 2 cents on this one. First of all, OU plays man coverage 100% of the game for one reason only...because they can. Their defensive talent is at the top of NCAA Div1 and worlds better than NT's offense. The same cannot be said for us, obviously. So why the hell does NT play BNR, Man Cover 2, & Man Cover 1, 90% of the night when my mother knows it can't be done? Sticking with the gameplan is one thing, but 50-0 at halftime when our D is supposed to be the strong point is ridiculous, IMO. Noone get's a free pass for that. My point and the fuel to my painfully firey a$$hole, is not the fact that we lost (it was fully expected), but the fact that the D looked so damn bad and out of position the entire night. I honestly believe our D has some damn good players.

I will agree with what you said, now that I've had a few days to cool off, the real measuring stick (no matter how much we hate to admit it) will be Sun Belt play.

Edited by Got5onIt

Sorry...I honestly was not trying to be "Captain Obvious" here. Lighten up, Francis...

This timeline is way too patient. If Sun Belt domination is only "a possibility" by 2010, Dodge will be a disappointment. I'm looking for a Sun Belt championship next season and better things in '09 and '10.

You guys are a tough crowd. As long as I see team improvement from year-to-year, I will be satisfied with the job this coaching staff is doing.

Unlike the NFL, there is a huge disparity in talent between college teams. And, you can't improve your team quickly with free agents every year. The only way to increase the talent base in college is through better, consistent recruiting. While team execution and conditioning are really important on a level playing field, you can't compensate for the lack of talent.

Anytime you guys start getting down on this team, look at the recruiting numbers. If TD keeps recruiting at this pace, NT will begin dominating the Sun Belt and even start competing at a high level out of the conference.

I realize that this is just stating the obvious for most people. But, it is the few, very impatient fans that I worry about.

Seconded. Anyone with any actual updates on what was said during the show?

What? No one went? But so many people had such big boy questions for Todd Dodge. Maybe he'll start posting here or something so everyone can back down from the crap they spew ad naseum when they have a face attached to the name.

First of all, OU plays man coverage 100% of the game for one reason only...because they can. Their defensive talent is at the top of NCAA Div1 and worlds better than NT's offense. The same cannot be said for us, obviously. So why the hell does NT play BNR, Man Cover 2, & Man Cover 1, 90% of the night when my mother knows it can't be done?

That's what had me scratching my head too. It shouldn't take more than one time of getting burned in man coverage to make the adjustment to a zone. I know Kelly's eyes must have gotten as big as saucers when he saw Roman move up to the line of scrimmage on him. We don't need seven in the box when they're throwing the ball 20 and 30 yards downfield.

That's what had me scratching my head too. It shouldn't take more than one time of getting burned in man coverage to make the adjustment to a zone. I know Kelly's eyes must have gotten as big as saucers when he saw Roman move up to the line of scrimmage on him. We don't need seven in the box when they're throwing the ball 20 and 30 yards downfield.

Why did the Cowboys leave second string corners out in man-to-man against other teams receivers most of the pre-season? It was a combination of working to improve and see what they had and being under-talented at the position. Dodge used the game to assess the team against top flight competition to see who would respond and hopefully he learned something for the rest of the year.

As much as it might hurt some of you to admit it, that was not an attempt to win a game. Because that game could be played 100 times and the outcome would be about the same. We experimented - and hopefully we learned. Just don't kill yourselves if we lose this weekend.

Well, some of you can I guess. Although death is never pleasant.

Why did the Cowboys leave second string corners out in man-to-man against other teams receivers most of the pre-season? It was a combination of working to improve and see what they had and being under-talented at the position. Dodge used the game to assess the team against top flight competition to see who would respond and hopefully he learned something for the rest of the year.

As much as it might hurt some of you to admit it, that was not an attempt to win a game. Because that game could be played 100 times and the outcome would be about the same. We experimented - and hopefully we learned. Just don't kill yourselves if we lose this weekend.

Well, some of you can I guess. Although death is never pleasant.

But... But.... I thought we Didn't Go There To Lose!?!?

I'm packing up my desk and leaving.