We Blow Out Troy 98-57

CMJ

I've noticed that our offensive attack has changed since our road losses to the Arkansas teams. Tonight I watched a Troy team that reminded me very much of our "old" offense from earlier this season. They would jack up three's left and right, try to make individual moves to the basket, take selfish jump shots, etc. Can't make crazy jump shots that night and you lose the game b/c you are one dimensional. JJ said after our ugly Arkansas loss that we didn't work as a team and played very selfishly. Since then, we have cut down on the ill-advised 3's and overall selfish plays, distribute the ball much better including getting our big men very involved, and play a team oriented attack. We have moved from a perimeter jump shot team to one that goes to the post as well as can jack up threes and nice jump shots. The proof is in the pudding... take a look at the stats... the more recent games show numerous players in double figures, rebounds, etc. In addition, while I haven't looked turn over stats in a while, casual observation says that we have significantly cut down on turnovers. In my eyes, the type of offensive our team is getting accustomed too is very different from the first half of the season. I really hope that we can perfect this offense in these remaining season games so that we can advance past the SBC tourny.

A few other side notes:

Keith Wooden has a beautiful spin move that he only uses about 1 or 2 times a game. I wish he'd use it more.

Jonathon Jackson is back with a knee brace on. I hope he can contribute.

Justin Howerton is really growing. I vote him for most improved player this season. He seems to have adjusted to the speed of the game and is much more aggressive towards the basket.

Edited by chrisfisher

JJ should be fired. Leave it to a Johnny Jones led team to collapse when they could have easily reached 100. If I didn't know any better I'd say he and Slinker conspired to not reach the century mark.

You make very good points, perhaps your paranoia may prove to have a basis in fact. You clearly are keenly aware of past late season collapses and are not willing to jump on the bandwagon to quick. You sound like a man who will evaluate matters based on past performance and hold a coaches feet to the fire.

Great game! Who would have believed the leading rebounder would be Howerton, the leading assist guy would be Sturns and the most accurate three point shooter would be Andrew Reinking? Hope this team is peaking at the right time, huge game Saturday. NT is usually a very entertaining team to watch and deserves much more support than it is currently getting.

JJ should be fired. Leave it to a Johnny Jones led team to collapse when they could have easily reached 100. If I didn't know any better I'd say he and Slinker conspired to not reach the century mark.

That's funny.

Never "run up the score" on an opponent...it could come back later to bite you. What goes around, comes around.

That's funny.

Never "run up the score" on an opponent...it could come back later to bite you. What goes around, comes around.

Entertainment sells tickets, and what has already gone around needs to go back and bite someone.

As so eloquently stated by Mr Roark "Revenge is a dish best served cold".

Hell, I'd have the team throw "the grenade" on Feb 22 when Arkansas State visits. It will draw a technical, but the fans will love it.

That's funny.

We did not run up the score on them. Not by a long shot. Our bench players started to rotate in the game with 7 - 10 minutes left and by 4 or 5 minutes we had the entire 2nd and 3rd string on the floor. Our back ups took it to Troy, continued scoring 2's and 3's, drove the ball to the basket (Jackson had nice drive or two), and out rebounded them. You cannot blame your bench for continuing to score. Great game guys!

Edited by chrisfisher

We did not run up the score on them. Not by a long shot. Our bench players started to rotate in the game with 7 - 10 minutes left and by 4 or 5 minutes we had the entire 2nd and 3rd string on the floor. Our back ups took it to Troy, continued scoring 2's and 3's, drove the ball to the basket (Jackson had nice drive or two), and out rebounded them. You can blame your bench for continuing to score. Great game guys!

We did not run up the score on them. Not by a long shot. Our bench players started to rotate in the game with 7 - 10 minutes left and by 4 or 5 minutes we had the entire 2nd and 3rd string on the floor. Our back ups took it to Troy, continued scoring 2's and 3's, drove the ball to the basket (Jackson had nice drive or two), and out rebounded them. You cannot blame your bench for continuing to score. Great game guys!

I agree. We had our bench players in well before Troy did.

Some of those guys only get a few minutes a year of game action and deserve to be able to play hard down to the final buzzer. For them, this will be there only opportunity in college basketball to play 5-7 minutes of game action. They had career nights!

This is a small reward to them for working their butts off in practice all year.

Speaking of what Chris is saying: I saw a really different Calvin Watson last night. He was wanting to drive to the hole instead of throw up a 3 with a hand in his face...I was definitely impressed.

I don't mind the 3s with the hand in his face. He usually makes those... its his open looks I could do without. :P But yeah I know what you mean. He definitely played a much better style last night.

I was really impressed with the game plan and execution last night. We new we had a height and size advantage and we took care of that. They are also obviously an outside shooting team and we counteracted that by putting Rich Young in the starting lineup, which was a great move. I hope our players come down from their high and are ready to play on Saturday. I can't wait.