Be Honest ... How worried (or not) are you about the QB situation?

i feel like i'm medium on this. I don't think Earle is nearly as bad as this board paints him out to be, he's barely had any reps... worst case scenario, he's Austin Aune v2

However, even if he is, i think Morris is levelling up QBs with his coaching, Rogers wasn't nearly as good at ULM. and I hope Early continues to improve.

All that said, i have no idea what is behind Earle, so i want some kind of transfer coming here.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of Chandler Rogers commiting to North Texas. Maybe we get another big 🧩 tomorrow

This.  I am not worried at all.  Rogers signed on a year ago today.  Patience.  I have found with Coach Morris that we worry and then we get days like we did on NSD when we got plenty of surprises.

robert eggers patience GIF

There appears to be a lot of confidence based on Morris' reputation/history.

Fair.

I would think that if that same reputation/history preceded him on the recruiting trail, we might have a laundry list of high-caliber QBs knocking on our door.    This simply does not appear to be the case. 

The system is good.  Can we win some games with Stone Earl or Chuba Purdy at QB?   Probably!  
Are we going to get heroic performances to dig out some additional tough wins with either of them (like we would from guys like Pat Mahomes/Cam Ward... you know, the guys his reputation is based on)?   Probably not.

Until we get some kind of game-changing QB in here to elevate this system, I'm worried.  Again, 6-6 is only barely acceptable... and we couldn't even get there with a guy like Chandler Rogers.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

55 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would think that if that same reputation/history preceded him on the recruiting trail, we might have a laundry list of high-caliber QBs knocking on our door.    This simply does not appear to be the case. 

Based on what?  Did you know any of the following were on our radar prior to their commitment/signing was announced?

MaKyi Lee

Tre Bradford

B.J. Allen Jr.

Johnny Dickson

Jasper Lott

Zach Evans

X'Avion Brice

Edit: Point being, these are highly rated players that we had no idea we were in on until they were announced or signed with us.  Just because things are quiet publicly, doesn't mean we aren't attracting talent.

Edited by UNTLifer
Clarification
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Fair.

The system is good.  Can we win some games with Stone Earl or Chuba Purdy at QB?   Probably!  
Are we going to get heroic performances to dig out some additional tough wins with either of them (like we would from guys like Pat Mahomes/Cam Ward... you know, the guys his reputation is based on)?   Probably not.

Until we get some kind of game-changing QB in here to elevate this system, I'm worried.  Again, 6-6 is only barely acceptable... and we couldn't even get there with a guy like Chandler Rogers.

Another JD with an inside track? I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, untcampbell said:

I gave up worry for Lent a few years back and try to keep my head down, keep moving forward and let things play out just as they would whether I worry or not. Do your best, control what you can and read about the rest in the papers.

GMG

Man I wish I could do that.  Seriously.  

Of course, reading the papers don't help.

• Upvote 2

Stone Earle is probably good enough to get us 7-8 wins if we had an average defense.   The problem is that we relied so heavily on the QB to get us just 5 wins and that's with one of the best QB seasons of all time.

How many wins can Earle guide us to if our defense is as bad as it was last year.  My guess would be 1 or 2. 

Its kind of unfair to put this all on the QB, what are the odds that we find a player who can repeat last year's performance in year 1?  

tldr; the defense's historically bad year puts unfair pressure on getting a QB to perform at all conference levels on day 1

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Fair.

Until we get some kind of game-changing QB in here to elevate this system, I'm worried.  Again, 6-6 is only barely acceptable... and we couldn't even get there with a guy like Chandler Rogers

Cam Ward wasn’t ranked as a recruit when he went to UIW. 0 stars. He had 2 offers out of HS: UIW and Texas Southern. I’m not saying that Morris made Ward, but Morris certainly got the most out of him. We know of Cam Ward because Eric Morris helped put him on the map. 

Also, you say that we couldn’t get to 6-6 with Rogers. Our defense was one of the worst in the nation. Nothing to do with the offense that Morris put together. Pretty pointless to mention that when we all know that offense was never the issue 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Worried Scale of 1-10:
1, being - Mason Fine returning with Guyton, Bussey, Darden, & Graham Harrell as OC.
10, being - We're starting Greer with McNulty backing him up in Chico's offense.

I'm at a solid 8.5 right now.

I love your scale. Out of curiosity, where would you have put 2022 with Aune and Littrell?

15 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I love your scale. Out of curiosity, where would you have put 2022 with Aune and Littrell?

7. Way too many pick sixes and Aune throws into the nonexistent third deck for me to ever have confidence he would win a game for us rather than lose a game for us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Walk Out Steve Austin GIF by WWE

Stone Earle walking onto the DATCU turf this spring with the Eric Morris offense. 

Stone Earle realizing he has the last ranked defense in the country returning without new additions to the front 7.

stone cold GIF

It's not looking good at the moment. Our defense is going to be young with a bad DL and bad LBs. I really hope we see improvement with a second year in the system.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

It's not looking good at the moment. Our defense is going to be young with a bad DL and bad LBs. I really hope we see improvement with a second year in the system.

Thank you!  I'm more worried about our defense and the 3-man front we will probably use again.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

7.5 - 8  Right around the same.   At least we knew what we had with Aune (he started majority of the games the previous season).   We can't really say the same for Earle.

Look, if everyone is honest with themselves, we all knew Bloesch's offense could move the ball.   
It's not like last year's offense went from atrocious to amazing like it did from McCarney/Chico to Littrell/Harrell.

Aune's 2022 season was a pleasant surprise.  Actually, it was VERY SIMILAR (with the glaring difference being the 10 more interceptions) to Rogers' season last year.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Very worried. New QB learning new system, new wide receivers, 3 OL starters gone and a whole bunch of tight ends who will be very green. To think we will be anywhere near as good as we were last year on offense is foolish in my opinion. 

On top of that, I’m beyond concerned with the defense. I’m not sure who we’ve signed that’s supposed to be the players we need to turn around a system like this in one off season. We can’t hang our hat on continuity when we lose half of our roster.

I’m hoping we field a top 60 scoring offense and can improve enough on defense to not be in the 100s, we might crack 6-6 with those figures, and that seems lofty. 

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

7.5 - 8  Right around the same.   At least we knew what we had with Aune (he started majority of the games the previous season).   We can't really say the same for Earle.

Look, if everyone is honest with themselves, we all knew Bloesch's offense could move the ball.   
It's not like last year's offense went from atrocious to amazing like it did from McCarney/Chico to Littrell/Harrell.

Aune's 2022 season was a pleasant surprise.  Actually, it was VERY SIMILAR (with the glaring difference being the 10 more interceptions) to Rogers' season last year.

Thank you