So when they leave us do we let them come back?

Tommy Gadberry

17 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Objectively stupid.  If someone offered you a million bucks and you don't have a mortgage or rent and all your food is paid for and free gym membership, better work facilities you'd be foolish not to go. Not blaming Rodgers for the sins of the ncaa. 

No one is giving him a million dollars. That's nonsense. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Get a few schools bidding against each other for his services... and he just might.   Agree.

They will see a QB that hadn't had any success at the four other schools and in a Morris 'system' put up some good numbers. He wasn't all conference and we didn't make a bowl game. No one is paying him a million dollars for one year on their team. He isn't a national name that is going to make a splash for any program to put butts in seats or will sizzle on TV. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

13 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

They will see a QB that hadn't had any success at the four other schools and in a Morris 'system' put up some good numbers. He wasn't all conference and we didn't make a bowl game. No one is paying him a million dollars for one year on their team. He isn't a national name that is going to make a splash for any program to put butts in seats or will sizzle on TV. 

he will get exposed at a P5 school if he even makes it off the bench. He holds onto the ball to long and makes poor decisions under pressure. He would have been better staying at UNT and putting up more big numbers

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

he will get exposed at a P5 school if he even makes it off the bench. He holds onto the ball to long and makes poor decisions under pressure. He would have been better staying at UNT and putting up more big numbers

Funny, the announcers stated that one of his strengths was how quickly he goes through his progressions.  Morris has stated the same. 

• Eye Roll 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:38 PM, MrAlien said:

You recruit players, then you have to re-recruit them to stay...

Until the rules change thats just how its going to be, players would be stupid not to test the market by throwing their name into the portal.  Schools need to expect this, and plan accordingly. 

This will not only degrade fan-player relationships, but the fan-school relationship too.  Fans want to support the program but the program is not stable, like quicksand, constantly changing.  Fans want to get behind and know a core of players for a few years, not just a few weeks. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

This will not only degrade fan-player relationships, but the fan-school relationship too.  Fans want to support the program but the program is not stable, like quicksand, constantly changing.  Fans want to get behind and know a core of players for a few years, not just a few weeks. 

I think in a few years, after people get used to what this new CFB world feels like, you'll still see fans.

I think there's still just a ton of lingering frustration as we are still in the early year(s) of this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think in a few years, after people get used to what this new CFB world feels like, you'll still see fans.

I think there's still just a ton of lingering frustration as we are still in the early year(s) of this.

We have seen the "leaving players" part.   I agree it will depend on the "getting players" part.  This is where a coaching staff will have to evolve in roster re-management yearly.  If fans find Morris and Co. can reload successfully it will relieve a lot of the current concern. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/5/2023 at 8:39 PM, p_phelps said:

KD spent 4 years here before then... Rodgers is a mercenary. This will be his 5th college . He doesn't have loyalty to us and we shouldn't expect it

I don’t think the staff would ever admit to it but I suspect they viewed Rodgers as a mercenary also.  So you start that guy not quite as good in the today so he is better in your second season as head coach.  Morris in the first year of a solid contract allows him to make those kind of decisions.  If  you are in year 3 of your tenure you might roll with the “mercenary” from the beginning because you need to win a validate you being hired.

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Any HC worth a damn is going to do what is best for the team.

That is a tougher decision than just can the player make the current team better.   You don't want to establish the impression that a player can test the market and always be welcomed back to the team.  

Unfortunately until the rules change, the lower a team is on the support scale (conference, success, wealth) the less likely it is to keep players or recruit coveted transfers.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Player enters the portal.

Damn! I hate that guy! I hope he ruptures his spleen!

Player changes mind, exits portal.

Yes! What a guy! Heart of a champion!

Of course we let good players come back. We need them. Any heartache we felt when they tried to leave can be worked out with our therapist.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, rcade said:

Player enters the portal.

Damn! I hate that guy! I hope he ruptures his spleen!

Player changes mind, exits portal.

Yes! What a guy! Heart of a champion!

Of course we let good players come back. We need them. Any heartache we felt when they tried to leave can be worked out with our therapist.

Overall that's pretty good advice.

If anyone is under the delusional notion that any significant portion of the NT fan base (such as it is) is knowledgeable enough about any of our sports rosters to notice when anyone leaves and comes back, let me assure you that you needn't worry. 

THERE, now you don't have to go to a therapist...........no extra charge.

• Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 2

On 12/6/2023 at 2:07 PM, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

No one is giving him a million dollars. That's nonsense. 

No it is not nonsense, I read good QB's are currently getting $1m in NIL benefits to transfer.

I certainly think Rogers is in the good category.   A big time program may give him that just to be a backup emergency QB.   

• Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Oh Boy! 1