North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

49 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

At this point I would agree.  We demand to be taken seriously and be given some explanation for what has transpired.  This type of stuff did not happen under Littrell, McCarney or any of the coaches prior to this group.

You mean kids moving on in droves didn’t happen before the NCAA created a system where they are nothing more than commodities to be bought and sold to the highest bidder?    

Regina King Actors On Actors GIF by PBS SoCal

And I’m sure this is a problem that is unique to North Texas.  It’s not like Ohio State and Oklahoma lost their STARTING quarterbacks to the portal…or Florida lost their top returning running back…and so on.

”A total of 538 FBS scholarship players put their name in the NCAA transfer portal on Monday. That’s an 18 percent increase from last year’s opening day of portal activity. But that group of players — 305 from Power 5 programs, 233 from the Group of 5 — doesn’t come close to measuring the magnitude on Monday.

Because there were also nearly 100 walk-ons who entered the portal. And there were a whopping 416 players from FCS schools who also opted to transfer. Last year, the FCS transfer window opened two weeks earlier than the FBS window. This gave college football coaches more time to evaluate those lower-level players before the more coveted transfers hit the market. This year? The portal opened on the same day for both subdivisions.”

https://theathletic.com/5113559/2023/12/05/college-football-transfer-portal-entries-players/?amp=1

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Sorry, but it's getting old seeing these kids commit and then decommit. What's almost as bad as those people saying they're young and will change their mind instead of saying, you know what, the kid didn't live up to his word. To me, it's getting harder to be loyal to our players when it now seems that many could not care less about UNT and our fans.

P.S. I think it was Lifer who hit the nail on the head - stop coddling our players, changing our uniforms, and having the change-of-the-week plan and stop with the black or gray. I keep hearing how the "players like it"; well, it seems many could care less if they feel someone else can do more for them. I know I am saying this out of frustration, but if they want to come and go as they please, then we as fans should look at them as someone being compensated to represent the Mean Green for a particular time and nothing more or less. 

Exactly.  Cheer for the shirt, not the kid.  A huge part of the fun for fans was following the development of these kids.  Without a system like what Arkstfan outlined, this new model is going to be less fun to follow.  It sucks and something has to give.

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think the unsettling part is we have twice as many leaving than anyone else coupled with commits backing out.  I would just like to hear Morris' thoughts on this and his plan moving forward.

He's on the road recruiting top HS prospects and hosting visitors this weekend. Early signing day is December 20th.

We have a ton of transfer portal kids visiting as well. It's going to be an exciting few weeks.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

35 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think the unsettling part is we have twice as many leaving than anyone else ...

Where are you getting this info? It is true our numbers are higher than our conference mates but there are others with high numbers as well.

Here is a reliable link you can use to track each school.

2024 College Football Transfer Portal (247sports.com)

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Sliding down a rabbit hole here, but this crap would be easier to swallow if this unregulated mess were more like soccer. 

Imagine every high school player in football and basketball signed a four year contract. Say $30,000 a year. 

Freshman year kid is AAC or Sun Belt player of the year. Texas Tech, OkSt, UCF want the kid. He wants to leave. UCF is offering $100,000 a year for the remaining three years.  Has to pay 10% of the deal to buy his release. $30,000. 

Only played a year but buyout means played at no cost. 

Or maybe stud player from Plano gets $250,000 a year from Texas. He’s good not that good. Texas is stuck with him and he’s stuck on the bench but he likes coaches at UNT. Green say we will pay $75,000 a year. Texas is on the hook for $175,000 but Texas has leverage too. They tell him agree to cut salary to $100,000 and we will make up difference. Kid says nah make it $150,000 and we have a deal so kid is playing at UNT for $150,000 school only pays half. 

Meanwhile Arkansas offers a kid $50,000 because he’s a project. AState offers him that as well because he’s quality depth if nothing else. Hogs like what they see when he’s on campus but he’s a couple years from SEC ready. Hogs tell him we want you to get experience in games. Shop him around and agree to loan him to AState for a year at $15,000 Hogs pay the rest. 

Being able to profit from identifying talent and developing that talent changes the Charlie Brown I got a rock in my Halloween sack nature of how it works now. 

The trouble with the player loan system like in Euro soccer is it completely ignores the kids' educations. As much as the portal and NIL have shifted the college football landscape, they still get to choose where they want to attend classes. Alabama shouldn't be able to treat the kids like a bought-and-paid-for product that can be sent wherever Alabama thinks they want to send him. Also, if he transfers, does he transfer from Alabama or the school he played for last season?

I'm very much for a promotion and relegation model for college football, but loaning players isn't the answer.

15 hours ago, tmjerm said:

*you’re.  To me, the guy is obnoxious.  But if he somehow has this magic connection with recruits I’m good with it.  What an annoying era of CFB, jeez. 

In fairness, his job is to appeal toward 18-year olds who think they're hot shit. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, HelixGMG said:

If true, good for him.  Hope he gets some play time against those SEC teams.

It's a good landing spot...but he's going to get his @ss handed to him by the SEC defensive lines. Hopefully he does well, will be peeking into some gamecock's football this year

• Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

You mean kids moving on in droves didn’t happen before the NCAA created a system where they are nothing more than commodities to be bought and sold to the highest bidder?    

Regina King Actors On Actors GIF by PBS SoCal

And I’m sure this is a problem that is unique to North Texas.  It’s not like Ohio State and Oklahoma lost their STARTING quarterbacks to the portal…or Florida lost their top returning running back…and so on.

”A total of 538 FBS scholarship players put their name in the NCAA transfer portal on Monday. That’s an 18 percent increase from last year’s opening day of portal activity. But that group of players — 305 from Power 5 programs, 233 from the Group of 5 — doesn’t come close to measuring the magnitude on Monday.

Because there were also nearly 100 walk-ons who entered the portal. And there were a whopping 416 players from FCS schools who also opted to transfer. Last year, the FCS transfer window opened two weeks earlier than the FBS window. This gave college football coaches more time to evaluate those lower-level players before the more coveted transfers hit the market. This year? The portal opened on the same day for both subdivisions.”

https://theathletic.com/5113559/2023/12/05/college-football-transfer-portal-entries-players/?amp=1

The old system treated players as commodities. A sure first round NFL pick dominating player was priced identical to the 85th scholarship player on the roster who ended up playing senior day if and maybe a couple blowouts.

A bushel of corn is a bushel of corn. New system is going to have glitches but should eventually become a market economy where being last scholarship player at Michigan pays very little over a scholarship and being a hoss gets you real money.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

The old system treated players as commodities. A sure first round NFL pick dominating player was priced identical to the 85th scholarship player on the roster who ended up playing senior day if and maybe a couple blowouts.

A bushel of corn is a bushel of corn. New system is going to have glitches but should eventually become a market economy where being last scholarship player at Michigan pays very little over a scholarship and being a hoss gets you real money.

This makes sense, until you get to the part where the stupid-rich schools throw around so much money that the guy who is #85 on the money list is still making more than a top-5-paid guy at UNT or ARSt.   Because that's where we're headed.
Those guys used to be the ones who would transfer out for an opportunity to play more.   Now, they'll have a financial decision to make, and that's really tough.   Money talks.  PT is earned and can be lost (be it to another player, or injury).

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

The trouble with the player loan system like in Euro soccer is it completely ignores the kids' educations. As much as the portal and NIL have shifted the college football landscape, they still get to choose where they want to attend classes. Alabama shouldn't be able to treat the kids like a bought-and-paid-for product that can be sent wherever Alabama thinks they want to send him. Also, if he transfers, does he transfer from Alabama or the school he played for last season?

I'm very much for a promotion and relegation model for college football, but loaning players isn't the answer.

The loan system may be much but the aspect of euro soccer where the previous team has to be paid a transfer fee would make sense in this system. Ok, very rich school, you want our star QB? Fine but based on valuations, he's worth 1 million and we need 500k to let him out of his contract with the school which he signed when he accepted our scholarship. This would require all earnings to be made public. It would also mean students could be forced to remain at their school even if they want to return closer to home or their coach takes a new job. I personally don't see the conflict with them being students and where they choose to get their education as others have suggested. To me, if you want to be treated as a professional, you can't just pick and choose what that looks like to you. If you want to get paid, you're a pro, and as such, contracts have to exist and you may be forced to remain at a school you no longer want to attend because you chose to take the scholarship.

The transfer fees could then be used for new recruits. It's a good system.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

What we really need is for the pro teams to create their own farm system.  Why can the xfl or usfl not be the minor leagues and let kids sign with them directly out of high school?  NFL teams need to pick an affiliate to partner with and that becomes their minor league. Then if you choose to go the college route you’re locked in for 3 years to that school before you can jump back out or transfer to another school?

NIL can still exist and may be a tough decision to pick college over pro, but once you sign it’s a 3 year contract with the school.  Then you can start to reign in this madness.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

What we really need is for the pro teams to create their own farm system.  Why can the xfl or usfl not be the minor leagues and let kids sign with them directly out of high school?  NFL teams need to pick an affiliate to partner with and that becomes their minor league. Then if you choose to go the college route you’re locked in for 3 years to that school before you can jump back out or transfer to another school?

NIL can still exist and may be a tough decision to pick college over pro, but once you sign it’s a 3 year contract with the school.  Then you can start to reign in this madness.

You cannot tell me that Chandler Rogers(just picking a name, relax) gives a crap about getting a college degree with all the transferring he’s done.  There’s no way he’s making adequate progress and classes transfer over perfectly.  So stop the charade.  Let the kids that don’t want to go college go pro right away.

Chandler Rogers already has 2 degrees

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I saw a car today with "Peter Boulware Toyota" on the back and it made me think about the star college athletes who turn it into fan adulation for decades afterwards. Boulware spent four years at FSU, got his degree, then declared for the NFL draft. The time he spent in Tallahassee forever ties him to the school.

In five years, will any fans of Southern Miss, Blinn, Louisiana-Monroe, North Texas or his final school care that Chandler Rogers played for them? Will former teammates or students care?

These portal players will leave the sport with money but no reason to think their glory days in sport meant any more than that.

29 minutes ago, rcade said:

I saw a car today with "Peter Boulware Toyota" on the back and it made me think about the star college athletes who turn it into fan adulation for decades afterwards. Boulware spent four years at FSU, got his degree, then declared for the NFL draft. The time he spent in Tallahassee forever ties him to the school.

In five years, will any fans of Southern Miss, Blinn, Louisiana-Monroe, North Texas or his final school care that Chandler Rogers played for them? Will former teammates or students care?

These portal players will leave the sport with money but no reason to think their glory days in sport meant any more than that.

I think I’ll remember Rogers 2023 season pretty fondly.  I wish he’d stay for another year to solidify his mean green legacy, but that doesn’t take away how good a season he had for us.  I just hope he plays wherever he ends up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 4

34 minutes ago, rcade said:

I’ve thought along these lines.  Doesn’t the legacy of being in a school’s hall of fame, etc. mean anything?  I think the days of retired numbers, rings of honor, and hall of fame inductions are over in football and probably basketball.  

Additionally, couldn’t a lot of these guys parlay that into money in the future?  If you truly earn your NIL money, you should be able to continue making money after the football career is over.  

UNT is small scale, but it’s got to mean something to, for example, Brelan Chancellor to come back to UNT and know he was one of the best to ever put on the green and white (and black).

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1