North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

That's the gamble players are taking with the portal. It was almost guaranteed that Shorter would have had an explosive year at North Texas if he stayed. Instead, he gambled and racked up a whopping 10 yards in one game at Auburn. 

The grass isn't always greener.

Wasn't he hurt? If so, you have to take the money when you can.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, BigWillie said:

So, I love everyone that talks about "give them time to learn the playbook" whether it is an offensive or defensive player, but this is a prime example of not having a chance to learn. How do keep a player long enough to learn the playbook? 

I always thought that was the biggest line of B.S. along with "give him time to recruit his players", or "give him time to recruit the kind of players for his system". 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

That's the gamble players are taking with the portal. It was almost guaranteed that Shorter would have had an explosive year at North Texas if he stayed. Instead, he gambled and racked up a whopping 10 yards in one game at Auburn. 

The grass isn't always greener.

But the money 💰 💵 is.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, BBA1989 said:

Where is SMUT getting money since none is coming in?  Sherwood Blunt back in the game again?

We have two NIL collectives (one grassroots and the other providing $40k/player).

Between the two we have a top 15 NIL nationally.  That's where the $$$ is coming from. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

8 hours ago, southsideguy said:

A lot of people are system players, they function well in one system but some time when they change to a new system that are not as effective.  Air Raid is a system offense.  That is how Leach keep it going.  He lose a good player and would fill in right behind him with another.

And sometimes they are what they are.   There is a reason why these players didn't begin their careers at the P5 schools.   They aren't P5 quality.   

If you want to be productive and compete, know your lane, stay in your lane.  

• Eye Roll 1

it is mystery but I don't think SL did a lot of recruiting and Morris started late.  I guess this year would give us a better view if we can get players.  I would think there will be a lot of Texas players coming into the portal with all the coaching changes happening in the state,   I guess we are up to two maybe three after the bowl season is over.  Time will tell but I am not holding my breath.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1