Is the "Triangle of Toughness" moving to College Station?

emmitt01

He is an old school coach which will not be successful at a P5 level in todays world. He has been very fortunate to have inherited a conf. MVP at the Qb position. Dion has shown how impotent it is to have a recognizable name at the head coaching position, then you can hire the assistant coaches at high salaries to do the on the ground work. It is all going to be about attracting the transfers. Kiffin is the one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

I can't quite figure Traylor out... He's been so successful, but Lord, every video I watch of him, he seems dumber than a bag of rocks.  He's like the middle school football coach you run into at the bar.

Dude is a legend in HS circles.  When you win like that, people don't care about your personality.

I haven't heard anyone mention this, but TxState's Kinne played HS ball for Traylor at Gilmer.

Edited by greenminer

30 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Dude is a legend in HS circles.  When you win like that, people don't care about your personality.

I haven't heard anyone mention this, but TxState's Kinne played HS ball for Traylor at Gilmer.

I don't doubt it.  I'm sure his personality is fine too.  Clearly, he has a good football mind and people like to play for him.  I'm just a little bewildered based on his interviews alone.

4 hours ago, Coltonw83 said:

To be fair, their schedule is absolutely brutal (they play a ranked team like every week), and besides Oregon I believe they've been in every game down to the wire

Yes, every game has gone down to wire including TCU, Colorado St., Stanford, Arizona St., Nebraska.  Bottom line is they’re 4-6 playing in a conference of their peers and Prime is the model of what a coach should be.  We’re 3-7 in a conference of our peers and people are calling for Morris’s job.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

I can't quite figure Traylor out... He's been so successful, but Lord, every video I watch of him, he seems dumber than a bag of rocks.  He's like the middle school football coach you run into at the bar.

I agree. He's been succesful but he shows up in interviews like he's still at Gilmer Middle School. But the Aggies would probably like that. He'd fit right in. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

He's from Upshur County. My mom is too. We don't claim that side of the family.

• Haha 2

IMHO high school coaching success and connections is over. The connections now need to be with transfers. Dion was a more shocking hire than Kiffin he would be to A&M. Top qb’s Kiffin will attract and having unlimited NIL dollars will be icing on the cake . Traylor Will get a shot at a lower level P5, like a Baylor.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

IMHO high school coaching success and connections is over. The connections now need to be with transfers. Dion was a more shocking hire than Kiffin he would be to A&M. Top qb’s Kiffin will attract and having unlimited NIL dollars will be icing on the cake . Traylor Will get a shot at a lower level P5, like a Baylor.

Fisher's failure to connect to high school coaches and further ignoring Dave Campbell's Texas Football are two of the reasons given for his firing. That is in addition to taking his team to away games on Thursday nights etc.   

Every year at the coaches' convention, there is a keynote panel that includes every Division I coach in the state. This year, Fisher was the only coach who didn't show. His presence was expected and his absence was not explained. That raised eyebrows across Texas.

"I just believe that if you coach in this state, you need to know when the Texas High School Coaches Association convention takes place and you need to be present," said Lee Wiginton, the head coach at Allen High School and the past president of THSCA. "Texas A&M is a prestigious program in our great state. When their head football coach doesn't attend our convention, it's simply not a good look in the eyes of the Texas high school coaches."

Fisher was the only coach in the state in recent years not to do interviews or appear on podcasts with Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine, often called the Bible of football in the state (and a publication that put Fisher on the cover when he arrived in College Station). 

Why the Jimbo Fisher experiment at Texas A&M failed spectacularly (msn.com)

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1