***OFFICIAL Memphis State vs UNT Game Thread***

Coach Andy Mac

Just now, rcade said:

It is pick your poison.

If we cared more about consuming the clock than scoring, we get a field goal there.

Then if we lose in OT, we're all angry we didn't score a touchdown when there was a chance to grab the lead.

Our defense had held Memphis to one touchdown in the second half. We should have been able to keep them from going 75 yards in 47 seconds.

That’s not true. We were only what 7 yards out and 3 to score. We run and they stop us they either burn a time out or lose more clock. Both benefit UNT. I don’t play to tie but I much rather have my worst case scenario I go to overtime than lose and the defense has been awful. I wouldn’t trust them with anything over 20 seconds left on the clock 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

31 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

All of you that constantly bitch and complain and quit watching our team, thank goodness you aren’t playing. This team, yes, frustrating at times, never, ever quits and that is a testament to the very coaching staff you all criticize. 

Unless you are the defense on game winning drives.

• Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

That’s not true. We were only what 7 yards out and 3 to score. We run and they stop us they either burn a time out or lose more clock. Both benefit UNT. I don’t play to tie but I much rather have my worst case scenario I go to overtime than lose and the defense has been awful. I wouldn’t trust them with anything over 20 seconds left on the clock 

I'd rather have a play that gave us a 96.7% win probability with 47 seconds left than an overtime that's 50/50 at best. The defense you didn't trust with 20 seconds left would've been needed to stop them in overtime too.

It sucks we're having this debate, but better than the one in the first half about what years sucked the worst to be a fan of this program.

• Upvote 7

This offense continues to be brilliant. Now and then, we shoot ourselves in the foot, but we will be able to hang with anyone punch for punch.
I know some of you don’t like moral victories, but losing by less than a TD total to arguably the two best teams in the conference is a definite something to hang your hat on. We’re a tier below, and this is what we will suffer through until the staff makes the necessary corrections within themselves to do their jobs better or find others that will. It’s great to see this effort and performance by those kids, but it still sucks to lose. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

1 minute ago, 3_n_out said:

This offense continues to be brilliant. Now and then, we shoot ourselves in the foot, but we will be able to hang with anyone punch for punch.
I know some of you don’t like moral victories, but losing by less than a TD total to arguably the two best teams in the conference is a definite something to hang your hat on. We’re a tier below, and this is what we will suffer through until the staff makes the necessary corrections within themselves to do their jobs better or find others that will. It’s great to see this effort and performance by those kids, but it still sucks to lose. 

Morris is going to lose the locker room if he keeps losing games like that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yep…. Why Rodgers chose to score there with what the click is at is a bit mind blowing but coaches should have understood where they were. 5/7 yards left with a minute on the clock you burn that down. 

If you can't count on defense to stop the offense short of the endzone starting from their own 25 with less than a minute left you don't have a defense.  You have a scrimmage partner for your opponent's offense.  Because when they need a play they will get their best player one vs one in the middle of the field with a chance to make a play.  🤷🏽‍♂️.    I shouldn't be a question whether the DC is fired or not come the end of the season without drastic improvement.  If anything you might want to bring in his replacement next week and have him audition on the job as the "assistant" DC.  Maybe another 3-3-5 guy and if nothing works scrap the scheme and staff at the end of the season.

• Upvote 7

In the last two games the second half’s looked like different games and the adjustments made by the coaching staff on both sides of the ball have been really good. You can’t give up so many points in the first half and then try and catch up. They are learning and I still have hope. 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

22 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I have seen improvement in the defensive scheme. The players are making plays. 

45 points and they scored whenever they needed to.  I think their "plays" were due in part to their offense getting complacent with a big lead.   I do credit the effort of the players but there was nothing special about what they did.   Memphis didn't run enough in the second half.  I said earlier that they should not have 25 pass attempts or more if they managed the game correctly.   They had 4 attempts on that last drive to get them to 28 attempts.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

45 points and they scored whenever they needed to.  I think their "plays" were due in part to their offense getting complacent with a big lead.   I do credit the effort of the players but there was nothing special about what they did.   Memphis didn't run enough in the second half.  I said earlier that they should not have 25 pass attempts or more if they managed the game correctly.   They had 4 attempts on that last drive to get them to 28 attempts.  

All fair points. Caponi will still get another year though. Wildly overpaid for what we've gotten.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Absolutely not…. Rodgers should have known better and kept the ball and burned that clock. The worst that should have happened is overtime. Not losing the game in the 4th quarter. That’s the most piss poor play I have seen all year is throwing the TD there…. football is chess and these guys should know better!

Are you serious?   Turn in your football watching permission card.

• Upvote 6

Losing the way the guys have the last 2 weeks is very frustrating.   However, it beats the hell out of being blown out twice like most people were expecting prior to the Tulane game.  At least it gives some hope that some things are on the right track (at least offensively).

Chandler Rodgers was amazing again today.  What a difference he has made.

• Upvote 5

49 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

I was for a moral victory last week, but this is not a moral victory. This is an inexperienced HC getting out coached. This is a horrible DC. The players didn't lose this game, the coaches did. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Venson said:

I was for a moral victory last week, but this is not a moral victory. This is an inexperienced HC getting out coached. This is a horrible DC. The players didn't lose this game, the coaches did. 

How is he inexperienced. He was a head coach at Incarnet Word. Football is football. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1