UTSA Athletic Fee Failed

bstnsportsfan3

If you want the full "big time" college experience which usually means participating in D-1 college athletics, it comes with a cost.  If it is not important to you or you resent paying for that experience through student fees, then the answer is to go to a different school.  It really is that simple.  

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I’m sorry that our conference mate couldn’t get this done.  No love here for UTSA but for the good of the conference, UTSA needs an on-campus facility.

Now, just for fun, search out that old YouTube clip of hitler (lack of capital intended), learning that UTSA would not go bowling.  The discussion of the “college experience.  One of my all time favorites.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

Theirs was already pretty much equal to ours.  Ours now is $16.25/ hour capped at 15 hours, whereas UTSA’s current fee is $20.00/ hour capped at 12 hours.  They were really looking for a large increase of $1.50 per year, where it would reach $27.50 by the 2027/2028 academic year.  A bit ambitious in these times.  They reached too far.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Tully said:

Didn't that vote in 2008 that built Apogee come with a delay of it being applied? I was in school at that time and for some reason I recall it being a vote in 2008 that essentially had the fee being added starting in the 2012 year. Basically meaning everybody that voted for it didn't actually have to pay for it. Am I recalling that correctly? 

That’s correct. And a fee increase failed in 2002. 

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, keith said:

If you want the full "big time" college experience which usually means participating in D-1 college athletics, it comes with a cost.  If it is not important to you or you resent paying for that experience through student fees, then the answer is to go to a different school.  It really is that simple.  

Or a university with hundreds of thousands of alumni could rely on its alumni to provide donations and buy season tickets. Oh that’s just silly isn’t it??

I paid about $1200-1500 a semester  for a full schedule of 15-18 hours a semester in the mid-90s plus the dorm of a a few thousand a year including the meal plan. I seem to recall 4-5k a year. So that is around 8k a year total. Maybe.

Now:

Undergraduate Students

The average annual cost of attendance for a Texas resident living on campus and enrolled in 15 hours per semester is$27,937.

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MAX KOCH said:

way more blue-haired freaks on campus now

Yeah, I wonder why that is. We keep bringing them on and we keep wondering why no one gives af about UNT athletics. I don't keep wondering. I know why. Your comment is it, but people seem to not get it. Then the F bois that openly say they "settled" with UNT deem UNT not cool enough and choose to drive down to college station in maroon or Lubbock in red/black where their HS buddies are going. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 4
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I’m sorry that our conference mate couldn’t get this done.  No love here for UTSA but for the good of the conference, UTSA needs an on-campus facility.

Now, just for fun, search out that old YouTube clip of hitler (lack of capital intended), learning that UTSA would not go bowling.  The discussion of the “college experience.  One of my all time favorites.

In September USF approved building a 35,000 seat on-campus stadium.  

Expected to open in Fall 2026, estimated cost = $340 Million.   

https://www.usf.edu/news/2023/florida-board-of-governors-approves-usfs-plan-for-a-new-on-campus-stadium.aspx

11 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If we put it on the ballot again today, we might see the same results. I think many students are tired of having so many extra fees added to their education.

I disagree. If the students were that burned out on paying the extra money, they'd attend college somewhere else, instead of continuing to set enrollment records at UNT every year. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I disagree. If the students were that burned out on paying the extra money, they'd attend college somewhere else, instead of continuing to set enrollment records at UNT every year. 

In addition to North Texas being a great school I think it's also a combination of other things that are contributing to the increase in enrollment. Even with athletic fees State schools are still much less expensive than private and also with rising cost a lot of students are staying closer to home which benefits North Texas as there are really no other state schools that compare to North Texas in our region

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I would assume that is after this year.  He has been chripy about money/donations this year, which is the foundation for trying to leave in a "its not my fault, I had to" fashion.

Yep. IMHO, he is a risky hire until he wins with someone other than Harris.  He didn’t recruit Harris and hasn’t proven he can land a difference making QB.  That’s got to be the number one qualification at most schools.  Coaches need to either be considered an elite defensive guru or someone that can recruit and develop QBs.  Traylor has certainly helped turn Harris into a winner, but again, didn’t land him.  Maybe that will be enough to get someone at our level to bite, but probably not at the next level up.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 3

Traylor would be wise to look for a better coaching position.  This is setting up to be like SL for them.  When SL lost fine and didn't take the KSU job it didn't turn out well.  I would have to think Harris is out of playing time this year.   UTSA is not winning without Harris.  He is not getting new stadium.  He better sign the big contract now.

• Upvote 1

On 10/27/2023 at 3:33 PM, 97and03 said:

Or a university with hundreds of thousands of alumni could rely on its alumni to provide donations and buy season tickets. Oh that’s just silly isn’t it??

I paid about $1200-1500 a semester  for a full schedule of 15-18 hours a semester in the mid-90s plus the dorm of a a few thousand a year including the meal plan. I seem to recall 4-5k a year. So that is around 8k a year total. Maybe.

Now:

Undergraduate Students

The average annual cost of attendance for a Texas resident living on campus and enrolled in 15 hours per semester is$27,937.

IIRC, ten years earlier, it was about 1/3 of that. 

• Upvote 1