UTSA Athletic Fee Failed

bstnsportsfan3

16 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

clearly, you don't know your history. It passed here. That is how we got apogee. We passed it during the middle of the awful dodge years, not coming off two conference championships like UTSA

If we put it on the ballot again today, we might see the same results. I think many students are tired of having so many extra fees added to their education.

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

So how long until UTSA becomes a bottom dweller AAC program? They got in on their football merits with growth potential but what happens WHEN not IF Traylor eventually leaves. 

It's when their QB Harris finally leaves.  They were not winning this year with him out.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Wow... you have no idea what you are talking about as usual. 

Don't you have some shrubs to be planting in concrete? 

Didn't he graduate like 2 years ago? Wouldn't he probably know better than just about any of us old-timers? 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

Getting Athletic fees to pass these days is a slippery slope for athletic departments at G5 programs.  Most don't have the revenue stream and huge fanbases or donors that P5s have.  With Traylor making more than any other UTSA employee and athletes getting NIL money (that donors used to give directly to the department) there is resistance from students to give more from their tight budgets.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

Part of me wants to laugh at UTSA but the other part isn't happy about this. A strong UTSA is good for us - the fans travel well.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. As much as I'd like to enjoy the schadenfreude, a conference mate failing to secure a financial commitment to allow them facility upgrades is NOT a good thing for the conference.

We shouldn't feel the need to rely on the failure of others for us to be successful.

• Upvote 8
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Tully said:

Didn't that vote in 2008 that built Apogee come with a delay of it being applied? I was in school at that time and for some reason I recall it being a vote in 2008 that essentially had the fee being added starting in the 2012 year. Basically meaning everybody that voted for it didn't actually have to pay for it. Am I recalling that correctly? 

correct. per some UTSA fans i know, this was the same. The fee charged to students would not have started until 2028

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. As much as I'd like to enjoy the schadenfreude, a conference mate failing to secure a financial commitment to allow them facility upgrades is NOT a good thing for the conference.

We shouldn't feel the need to rely on the failure of others for us to be successful.

No!  Like Smut, I wish nothing but bad fortune to UTSA.  😛

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

37 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Just put an athletics fee on the student's Fall Semester billing.  $200, $300, whatever number.  If they don't like it, tell them to go to another school.  Talking out of my ass, I would think an Athletics Fee is a necessity at any major university.

Your generation went to college for the price of a cheeseburger. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Just put an athletics fee on the student's Fall Semester billing.  $200, $300, whatever number.  If they don't like it, tell them to go to another school.  Talking out of my ass, I would think an Athletics Fee is a necessity at any major university.

It's probably not just the athletic fee that had them vote no, but the overall number of fees students are asked to pay. For my son, there are fees that, when printed out, take almost a page of paper for all the different areas of the university that he has to pay a fee for; even though many of the places listed, he will never use the services.

• Upvote 1